Cyclone

"
Kanit wrote:
Actually, the problem with your math is that the you have to add 100% movement speed as that is the base character movespeed to calculations. Which mean that if you have 112% movespeed on character sheet you need to add 100% to it before multiplying by 0.7. This is what results in 112% movement speed cycloning at 48%. You can test this ingame to confirm.

Yes that is exactly what I said as well. There was no problem with my math, nor did I have a problem with yours, just pointing out for others.

Just had a difference of views, in your post you meant -9% as 9% reduced movement speed, but i noticed you didn't explicitly say at PLUS 30% MS, I found that expression could be misleading to mean -9% MS being negative MS and 30% as being 30% of base MS rather than what you intended, +30% or 130% of base MS.
Can someone help me understand how cyclone's spin distance works?

Specifically, two scenarios:

1. I click at my feet and I spin for X seconds
2. I click at the edge of the screen, I spin for, say, 2X seconds

Clearly, I activate the skill once in both scenarios, but scenario 2 takes (say) twice as long.

So, have I HIT twice as many times when clicking at my feet as when I click on the edge of the screen (assuming I spin for twice the duration)?

Thanks!
The attack speed is constant aside from the first hit, and not related to how far you cyclone for.

"
So, have I HIT twice as many times when clicking at my feet as when I click on the edge of the screen (assuming I spin for twice the duration)?

not sure what you meant by this, but the second case would have twice as many hits (due to twice the time and a constant attack speed)
Last edited by biyte on Jan 19, 2019, 8:23:11 PM
"
biyte wrote:
The attack speed is constant aside from the first hit, and not related to how far you cyclone for.

"

not sure what you meant by this, but the second case would have twice as many hits (due to twice the time and a constant attack speed)

Got it. What did you mean about "aside from the first hit"? I am thinking in the context of CoC and the conventional wisdom that you should target 3 aps to optimize coc procs with cyclone (with <14% cdr)?

Thanks again for your response!
Idk the details but the first hit of cyclone occurs probably at a fixed time after skill activation.

and then every hit after is at atk period after the first hit.

This means the skill can in theory can be slightly abused and on the other wise of the spectrum, be very inefficient.

for example: assume your character can travel minimum cyclone distance in exactly 0.5 seconds (or maybe just very slightly more) and your cyclone attack period is exactly 0.5 seconds (2 attack speed)

if the first hit occurs at exactly t = 0 then:

a minimum distance cyclone will hit once at t = 0, then once at t = 0.5 (or just very slightly more) you will do a second hit

and assuming you chain another minimum distance cyclone immediately after, you are basically free "first hits", or in other words 4 hits per second instead of 2 (a "first hit" at t=0, regular hit at t=0.5 and a "first hit" at t=0.5, and regular hit at t=1) where two hits of the 4 hits are at 50% effectiveness (since they are the "first hit").

For the opposite, imagine your cyclone distance is just about to approach t= next attack time, but then you stop so you lose out on an attack.

anyways it's not really important imo and is not very relevant in practise and idk for sure when the first hit actually occurs.

for another example see this video for an example of "first hit" (the character is using trypanon so their attack speed is very low (hence unable to complete revolutions in reasonable time it seems :D), and pretty much the only hits they get in is the "first hit" which activation rate can be scaled by movement speed).

sorry for the overly verbose explanation, I hope i got everything through
"
biyte wrote:
Idk the details but the first hit of cyclone occurs probably at a fixed time after skill activation.

and then every hit after is at atk period after the first hit.

This means the skill can in theory can be slightly abused and on the other wise of the spectrum, be very inefficient.

for example: assume your character can travel minimum cyclone distance in exactly 0.5 seconds (or maybe just very slightly more) and your cyclone attack period is exactly 0.5 seconds (2 attack speed)

if the first hit occurs at exactly t = 0 then:

a minimum distance cyclone will hit once at t = 0, then once at t = 0.5 (or just very slightly more) you will do a second hit

and assuming you chain another minimum distance cyclone immediately after, you are basically free "first hits", or in other words 4 hits per second instead of 2 (a "first hit" at t=0, regular hit at t=0.5 and a "first hit" at t=0.5, and regular hit at t=1) where two hits of the 4 hits are at 50% effectiveness (since they are the "first hit").

For the opposite, imagine your cyclone distance is just about to approach t= next attack time, but then you stop so you lose out on an attack.

anyways it's not really important imo and is not very relevant in practise and idk for sure when the first hit actually occurs.

for another example see this video for an example of "first hit" (the character is using trypanon so their attack speed is very low (hence unable to complete revolutions in reasonable time it seems :D), and pretty much the only hits they get in is the "first hit" which activation rate can be scaled by movement speed).

sorry for the overly verbose explanation, I hope i got everything through

This is exactly what I was wondering about - thanks very much! I will research it more. Much appreciated.
Please fix cyclone!

I have played with it the entirety of this league (betrayal) and must say it is such a frustrating skill which was absolutely awesome in d3.

play style fix:

Remove movement penalty.
Remove the current way it functions "activate travel to targeted destination etc"
let it function like this: "right click to activate cyclone, release to deactivate".

Damage numbers:

I cannot comment on cyclone's damage numbers as i am using it purely as a support attack for another skill.
With a melee overhaul in the works for 3.7, I wanted to throw in my 2 cents here. Cyclone is one of my favourite skills. The move speed reduction is about right, I think. I wouldn't complain about seeing better damage with it, though if changes to weapon base damage or other damage scaling are incoming, that might be enough without changing skill numbers. I would like to see it become a channeled skill if at all practicable. Rather than traveling to the cursor location at the time of activation, I'd like to see it update direction of travel based on cursor location every 0.x seconds while skill button is held down. Also, if it were channeled, I could make a Sire of Shards, Cyclone, Cast While Channeling, Fireball Chieftain. That would be fun.
I'm playing cyclone agony crawler now and the build feels really clunky.
I'm level 67, with 0.26 attack time and 20% movespeed boots, and I feel like cyclone should only keep spinning as long as you hold your right mouse button - once you start spinning you have to spin entire duration, and its reeeaaally annoying.
Thoughts?
"
benjiwoosh wrote:
I'm playing cyclone agony crawler now and the build feels really clunky.
I'm level 67, with 0.26 attack time and 20% movespeed boots, and I feel like cyclone should only keep spinning as long as you hold your right mouse button - once you start spinning you have to spin entire duration, and its reeeaaally annoying.
Thoughts?

Couldn't agree with you more. I'm leveling a Cyclone character right now, just switched from Molten Strike/Ancestral blah blah to Cyclone but it's soooo annoying that you can't cancel it or stand still and use it. IMAGINE if you could actually stand freaking still, wouldn't that be nice.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info