Cyclone

ive tested it with a decent 5L 2H mace linked with fire dmg, melee and weap. ele dmg. cyclone with lvl 7 has over 2k dps. the damage seems ok.

the real issue is the dsynch and survability with cyclone
Live Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/menthur
Twitter: https://twitter.com/CMenthur
"
Lyralei wrote:
Lightning Thorns..

Hmm, wonder if this will be new Iron Maiden...

My fast aps double striker kills himself in second(s) against lightning thorns already, I just wonder what'd happen with Cyclone you can't abort.

And since I play in hardcore I'm sure as hell not going to intentionally test.

Or is LT reflect percentage of phys? I really don't know except it feels almost as bad as The Oblers in you-know-where...

Signed: two high level barbarians dead with accidentally pressing wrong skill in the wrong place :)
Leap Slam is still better than this ability will ever be with its current mechanics.

So sad.

Honestly, I think this ability needs to be a toggle that follows the mouse. With the way it is now.. it's just not worth the trouble. The damage isn't terrible, but the range and the fact that desync causes your aim to potentially be effected makes it worse than every other AoE option.
IGN = Warlyik
"
exorzist wrote:
ive tested it with a decent 5L 2H mace linked with fire dmg, melee and weap. ele dmg. cyclone with lvl 7 has over 2k dps. the damage seems ok.

the real issue is the dsynch and survability with cyclone

1988 DPS.

This includes Hatred as well.

103 mana cost.

It is terrible.
yea confirmed can't use this thing in the barracks instant death 2from thorns pack
afk till next week in the hopes they release a skill that isn't trash
First impressions of this skill are that its very very poor. Here is why. There is no reason to duel wield AGAIN. This is a fast sword plus shield skill. Not only this but it has 35% damage effectiveness. You can spin around in cricles all day and say "but you hit more often" any mob with armour makes this skill useless. The small hits amount to nothing. Shock stacking with is obviously the way to go... with every skill in this game. cleave is better than this. really dissppointed

I dont see why while Dual wielding would hit once per spin. If you think about it if your holding 2 weapons you'll be hitting every 180 degrees as opposed to 360, meaning you should hit twice as much. Right now dual weilding gains you 10Attack speed which stacks additively with your other attack speed, which means ~1% dmg increase and low block. If you grab a shield you get (like perandus blazon with 40% block) you become 1.67 times more tanky, while losing next to 0 dmg.

Cyclone is much better with a shield and 1hander because blocking during it has no animation :) or a 2 hander. This skill needs to be changed otherwise it is just an inferior form of leap slam and unwanted.

Also dont forget guys that because of the low dmg effectiveness you'll be losing dmg. I know you hit twice as often for half the damage which should end up doing the same as 0.7 dmg effectiveness, but the non-linear way armor scales means armor is much more effective against cyclone

One of the main drawcards of fast skills was their ability to proc on hits. Unfortunately onhits have reduced effect. LGoH now scales with dmg effectiveness. Ele-status scale with dmg done.

Which makes this skill pointless really.
Last edited by H4xolotl on Mar 12, 2013, 11:09:29 PM
really disapointed about this skill.87 DW sword ranger here.i tought it would be a nice new skill and might remplace my cleave but....like i tought this skill is really bad.35% dmg effectiveness is WAY to low+lot of small hit mean monster with armor make that dmg really really little hit so you lose compared to a 1 strong hit from cleave.also you just run over the mobs,hit them few time and after you need to wait till cyclone is done to recast it and hit the monster again,wow time wasting.cleave i stay there,hit non stop and no time waste.my cleave do like 9k+ while cyclone was around 2k2 dps....the aoe from cyclone is also WAY to small.even with the +2 weapon range from duelist,you hit the monster that are in the center on cyclone only....

i guess i will have to wait again for a better DW aoe skill that use BOTH weapon just like cleave and do decent dmg with good range,or mabey a nice support gems that also affect melee aoe like cleave.something like a splash dmg for every monster you hit so if you do 1 swing with cleave and hit 4 monster,those 4 monster get hit multiple time juste like ranged have right now with LMP with fork or chain or lightning arrow.those support make ranged do INSANE dmg and 1-2hit whole screen in 6 man grp...

i start to lose hope on physical melee right now...

OK, my initial full feedback after testing in early Act I Cruel. Level 37 Shadow, I use DW Claws and Ev/ES armour. I am linking my gear
but it is actually a little different gem configuration and armour than what I was using (I was using different chest and ring, and this is the second pair of boots I tried, the first was a unique that let me cast 2 curses).

My staple skills so far have been Dual Strike, Fire Trap, Whirling Blades and Enfeeble. I had WB and DS linked to Increased Rarity and Increased Critical Damage. For testing I Linked Cyclone to Increased Cold Damage, and then later switched to Blind (I had a different body armour then).

The Good: Synergy with Blind is Very Good; Culling Strike would be good too; basically any on hit effect which is not affected by Damage Effectiveness. Mana use is very manageable, good for builds short on mana.

The Bad: Actual in-game DPS is horribad compared to WB; maybe not fair because my WB was levelled since I got it while Cyclone was only level 1-2 during testing, but it is fair in that I tested it from the moment I got it as a quest reward as a Shadow. Survivability is much lower as compared to WB, but this is more to do with WB being much faster rather than the low Damage Effectiveness of Cyclone. Ya, Cyclone hits twice per attack but I can go from A to B two or even three times in the time it takes to go from A to B once with Cyclone. This also contibutes to Cyclone's lack of survivability - you are so slow that mobs will gang rape you in situations where they would not be able to do so against WB. Having a minimum move distance, while not as bad as with WB is still bad.

The Ugly: This skill is an absolute death-trap; not only for the reasons listed above, but if you can believe it IT ACTUALLY DESYNCS WORSE THAN WHIRLING BLADES! Even though I play HC I dared to try it a little bit in Fetid Pools against Skeletal Rhoas; fortunately I had done a lot of testing against normal Rhoas in the marsh so I knew what to expect; I quickly removed it from my bar and completed the Pools easily and safely using DS and WB. While the Rhoas technically cannot stun you out of your Cyclone the desync can make that mute as you think you're still moving but the Rhoas don't see it that way and stun lock and gang you retroactively from your end.

Suggestions: First and foremost reduce the 30% movement penalty; remove it entirely or maybe make it 10% at most. As the gem levels you should have it scale damage rather than attack speed - this is very important and I will explain in detail below. Give it to Shadows and Rangers much earlier (especially Rangers, I think they get it even way after Shadows which is just sad). The earlier suggestion to add an Evasion bonus or damage reduction while it is in use is very good and works with the theme. If you are not going to turn this into a defensive oriented AoE (which it could work as given the synergy with Blind and Chance to Flee) then you need to adjust the Damage Effectiveness upwards to 40 or even 45%.

So why should it scale damage and not attack speed? The reason for this is that you want the skill to be ideal for fast attacking weapons and the characters that use them. The problem is that those people already have skill nodes invested in attack speed and use fast weapons so giving more attack speed is diminishing returns; the biggest beneficiaries of increased attack speed will be those who don't have much or any of it via skill nodes and use slow weapons. What you have now is a skill that is thematically appealing to Fast Attacking Dexterity-based and likely Dual Wielding characters, but mathematically appealing to Strength-based slow hitting and likely 2H or 1H+Shield (particularly because of the vulnerability of a Cycloning toon) character. It is astonishing how many games do not back up their themes with actual mechanics that mathematically support the theme they are representing.

So what is my theorycrafting as to the best way to use the current Cyclone skill? Well linking it to Blind and Culling Strike are absolute musts; Chance to Flee may be good or it may just be annoying; Faster Attacks is good, but also a bit redundant and so not as high a priority as Blind and Culling Strike.

I will continue to level the gem and try again later to see if the combination with Blind and the scaling attack speed ever makes it competitive with WB but I rather doubt it. Keep in mind that WB is widely regarded as a great movement skill, but crappy for AoE damage; Cyclone is slower moving and does even less damage.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info