Queen's Decree, what is it for?

I use this on my EB-Aura/summoner witch. It's got 5 links that I use for running 4 auras + reduced mana cost, and the added specter really boosts my damage output. The loss of defense is mostly mitigated by having a massive army that takes all the aggro from me, rampant use of both the healing totem and aura, and partying with my girlfriend's ice witch (she freezes anything that comes close to me). I pretty much only need to switch to wand+shield when fighting Piety.
Hi, I'm happy to see so much discussion about the Queen's Decree. =)

I'll mention one thing I was thinking about while designing this item. The sword gives you a chance to have a second 5L or 6L, but with mostly non-blue sockets. This was designed to encourage you to make creative gem combinations. I personally use this:

cheers! =)
IGN: Royal_Princess, Princess_of_Wraeclast, Vaal_Princess, Diamond_Princess
"
ac429 wrote:
Hi, I'm happy to see so much discussion about the Queen's Decree. =)

I'll mention one thing I was thinking about while designing this item. The sword gives you a chance to have a second 5L or 6L, but with mostly non-blue sockets. This was designed to encourage you to make creative gem combinations. I personally use this:

cheers! =)

His projectile-slinging Spectres are no joke, I've seen it in action. Having a second 5L can be pretty badass as long as you, the summoner, stays away from the combat, which is the whole point of a summoner build.

Another way to use it would be for the really hard hitting minions like golems, and then support it with Melee Physical damage, Added Fire Damage, Increased Minion Damage, and Faster Attacks, and voila, you've got a pretty scary army of Golems rolling around (with their high HP, now they do extra damage). I've never played a summoner build, but I think having this weapon really opens up a lot of possibilities that weren't possible before.
For Ranger build tips, tactics, and critiques, visit this thread:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/69224
Last edited by Islidox on May 20, 2013, 4:56:27 PM
The thing is, Queen's Decree was never intended to be best in slot. I made it the way it is, because the lore behind it really appealed to me. I made up the story, but it's a pretty common trope. I wanted to express a story where there was some Queen, who was a decent Queen I suppose, if not naive. When she was betrayed, she thought she handled it well, but it ended up being poor long term management, and the problem kind of snowballed. Eventually the problem became so big, she went insane, lost all hope, and "turned to the dark side" by using necromancy to solve her problems. Hey, she had the corpses around to do it, thanks to the culture of antagonism she fostered. I guess the lesson is, if you use violence to solve your problems, you will create a culture of violence, and it will come back to haunt you. It's kind of the flip side of the coin from "pay it forward".

The Queen's Decree was already designed before Midnight's Bargain came out and was in testing when Midnight's Bargain was released.

I'm actually really happy to see people talk about "bargain vs. decree". It's that discussion itself that makes me kinda proud. I don't believe one is better than the other; It's your personal taste, and I respect that. Some people use neither, preferring the defensive benefits of a shield with or without Necromantic Aegis, without the 3/10 HP penalty of Midnight Bargain. Some people use 2 Midnight Bargains, for the additional spectres and minion damage. It's really up to you, your taste, how much risk you're willing to take, how creative you're going to be. It's all cool, imo. =)

That being said, I'm particularly proud that the Queen's Decree costs only around 1 or 2 GCP, while the Midnight Bargain costs several exalts. I don't want the Queen's Decree to be an exclusive item; I want everyone to be able to enjoy it! That's one of the reasons why I used a level 27 base item.
Get your reality check dude; It's selling for 1-2chaos, for a reason, no one wants to use it.

Summoner is a mid-game and farming build due to minions also share your iir iiq stat. End game build is always tanky (hp +armor+ev+es) which summoner can never be, and one thing I dont like is the higher the level you go, the more difficult you have to go farm the minions -- waste a lot time everytime you log back in.
"
OFasO wrote:
Get your reality check dude; It's selling for 1-2chaos, for a reason, no one wants to use it.

Summoner is a mid-game and farming build due to minions also share your iir iiq stat. End game build is always tanky (hp +armor+ev+es) which summoner can never be, and one thing I dont like is the higher the level you go, the more difficult you have to go farm the minions -- waste a lot time everytime you log back in.

Awww, I'm sure a couple people want to use it...maybe...*sniff* :'(
"
ac429 wrote:
"
OFasO wrote:

Awww, I'm sure a couple people want to use it...maybe...*sniff* :'(

I've been trying to find a use for it :(.

I get what you're saying about the extra 6l but my highest (summoner witch) is 73 and I don't even have a 5L for her yet. It seems a bit odd to have a weapon with such low level stats designed around high level slotting?

I guess it helps me if I think about it like a two handed wand (except that it lacks spell damage) on my dual curse summoner: I'm not going to attack with the wand, so damage doesn't matter - I'm just using it for the mods. I guess from that perspective I get the design. The balance trade off is loss of a shield, just like Bargain's is the 30% life.

For me though, the loss of a shield is huge, and thus the bonuses should be bigger. +2 to each minion type, or maybe a special stat like +20-30% minion resist (especially given that we can't use aegis) would have made it compelling enough to make the choice more interesting, imho.
It's a useless device, unless you find additional equipment to make up what you loose from using it. But by that time, you probably don't need it anymore.
If you summon some skeletons with this weapon, and then switch to a different weapon (eg: wand+shield, minion instability gear, etc...), do the skeletons keep their longevity bonus? If so that could be a way to make skeletons more viable.
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
Last edited by dudiobugtron on May 29, 2013, 3:01:19 AM
"
onefinemess wrote:

I've been trying to find a use for it :(.

I get what you're saying about the extra 6l but my highest (summoner witch) is 73 and I don't even have a 5L for her yet. It seems a bit odd to have a weapon with such low level stats designed around high level slotting?

I guess it helps me if I think about it like a two handed wand (except that it lacks spell damage) on my dual curse summoner: I'm not going to attack with the wand, so damage doesn't matter - I'm just using it for the mods. I guess from that perspective I get the design. The balance trade off is loss of a shield, just like Bargain's is the 30% life.

For me though, the loss of a shield is huge, and thus the bonuses should be bigger. +2 to each minion type, or maybe a special stat like +20-30% minion resist (especially given that we can't use aegis) would have made it compelling enough to make the choice more interesting, imho.

That's a good point. The thing is, this item is fairly old, so it's become rather dated. I mean, back when it was being designed, the skill tree was wildly different. You'd have to see an old youtube video to see it, but it was based on a skill tree where it was much easier to cross the center, and the center was just a cluster of +30 attributes (making the attributes requirements easier to fill). Back then, the highest level area was like level 57 and we didn't have maps, yet. So, the item wasn't really designed with level 68 zones or level 72 maps in mind. Necromantic Aegis did exist back then though, so the intent to force a decision between the two was certainly there.

I guess this item isn't much more than a lore piece now, haha. =)

"
It's a useless device, unless you find additional equipment to make up what you loose from using it. But by that time, you probably don't need it anymore.

Yeah, I don't think you'll ever need it. It's just a level 27 item, after all. It's just there as an interesting thing to have. =)
Last edited by ac429 on May 29, 2013, 7:40:51 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info