So, I just uninstalled PoE today.

While I haven't uninstalled, I have completely quit Synthesis.

I just went back to standard, and I'm working through all of my "old" maps, from 3.5. The drop rate problems that I've been harping on are not evident in Standard, and I'm 100% positive, it has to do with the lack of Synthesis in Core.

The problem is, Synthesis Content is NOT picking up the slack on Drop Rates in league.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I'll play until 3.7. If 3.7 doesn't fix the Standard Atlas hamster wheel of reducing your quality map pool by 2/3, I'm out. I don't care how amazing 3.7's re-balance to melee could be. I don't care if my melee chars don't have to plan to hit 8K hp just to not implode anymore. I don't care if they bring back "depth" to the game (by depth, I mean having more than an attack skill, and movement skill hotkeyed, with everything else on CWDT).

If they don't put some serious work into Standard? I'm done. If they push Synthesis Core, as is, or without addressing the fact that the drop rates are abysmal in League, in a manner that is not seen in the rest of the game? I'm done. Uninstall, move on. There is no reason that progressing in the game should become harder, because more content is added. More Content should make progressing through the game more interesting, not just purely more difficult.
"
gibbousmoon wrote:
After a few weeks of not playing, I've decided to uninstall. This is the first time in many years this game has not resided on my hard drive. Please allow me to explain why.

(Hopefully this isn't a goodbye and more of a see you later. I sincerely hope the game is able to draw me back again, and I do plan to continue participating in the forums at least a little bit.)

I'm not tired of the game, and I haven't burnt out (even a little), due to my playing style. But I have lost patience with three aspects of Path of Exile as of 2019. All three are fixable, but all three have also been in place for a year or more now, so I frankly do not expect even one of them to be fixed, let alone all three.

Number 1: Play the speed meta or go home.

As of 2019, the overall majority of league mechanics are based around blowing shit up as fast as possible instead of tactically engaging enemies and using skill, rather than raw DPS, to survive. This creates a situation in which many if not most (!) primary skills are almost useless for anyone who wants to engage any league mechanics (current and past) utilizing timers. Much like a door on the second floor of a house which opens to nothing but air, or a handle on a door which can only be pushed, such skills are "false affordances" (commonly called "noobtraps") whose falseness is not evident right away. As such, they are a form of player deception.

Many players love the speed meta, and I can't deny that there is fun to be had playing Lawnmower Simulator. But it comes at a price: Playing the game in accordance with GGG-designed affordances, PoE used to be the deepest ARPG on the market, bar none. Now it is one of the shallowest.

Number 2: Why bother with proper QA? As long as we keep pumping out new content as fast as possible, we can always draw in enough new players to compensate for the fact that almost all new material has not been adequately tested.

This applies to coding bugs, it applies to design bugs, and it applies to demonstrably bad design decisions which are probably caught with just a minimal amount of player testing but are left unfixed because your aggressive release schedule doesn't permit you to address any problems in time. This approach to development apparently started with the Fall of Oriath expansion in summer of 2017, and has shown no indications of going away any time soon. Every new league sees a swathe of new problems added to the list of still-unfixed problems introduced by past leagues, and you get further and further behind.

Number 3: Ethical microtransactions were effective in the early days of fundraising for the game, but their time has passed.

The creation of specialized stash tabs was, once, about removing pain points which had been inadvertently added to the game (map management, for example, or the large amount of currency). Now, however, the quantity of (deliberately?) unstackable item bloat seems to be designed in service to "planned player pain;" i.e., to coerce players into buying more stash tabs (and presumably the respective specialized tab as well, once it comes out).

This "annoyance model" is something we expect from freemium mobile games but not from GGG. As such, to give GGG the benefit of the doubt is to say that it is not the deliberate creation of pain points for players but rather the result of spectacularly out-of-touch and untested (see #2 above) design decisions, which frankly isn't that much better. Also, the end result is the same.

The willful obsoleting of map stash tabs in Standard is the icing on the cake. For over a year now, the only adequate solution to that problem has been for players to pay for the map tab a second (or third) time. Many posters have complained that it is not ethical to require players to pay again for what they thought they had already paid for. I happen to agree.

Spoiler
The usual WKs, trolls, and nasty people who like to say "don't let the door hit your ass on the way out" (plenty of overlap among the three) will most likely be summarily ignored, so don't even bother unless you are particularly eager to (re-)demonstrate to everyone here what kind of a human you are. Newsflash: Everyone knows already. Your behavior is a reflection of your character.

Now, I firmly believe in "Don't cut off your nose to spite your face." I don't quit games I enjoy just to make a point. And that's why point #3 above would not be enough by itself to make me uninstall the game (I have plenty of tabs). But points #1 and #2 have been painful for a very long time now, GGG. And I don't see any indication from you in either your announcements nor your behavior to indicate you even acknowledge these three problems, let alone intend to fix them someday. Instead of getting better they keep getting worse.

To the devs at GGG, thank you very much for all your hard work over the years. I don't begrudge you the many hundreds of dollars I've pumped into this game one bit: You have earned every penny of it. And I expect that your current business strategy will be perfectly viable: You'll continue to suck in new players who will buy stash tabs. While I don't consider this the best way to create and maintain a good game, I do acknowledge that it is a way to create and maintain an effective business.

I wish you the best of luck in the future with your business.

Hi I agree, specially the first one.
Sadly to see it, but this game is not the gem it was in 2012-2014 as you have said.

I play sometimes, like 2-3 weeks each league and that, but its not as adictive —or nearly as good— as it was before.

As everything, this started as a niche game for some hardcore players, but $$$ is strong and devs decided to make it like another one ARPG, losing which was special, just to make it more appealing to everybody and win more $$, popularity, etc, which is understandabale, even when I dont like it.

It's still a good game. It's still the best ARPG out there. But is no longer what it was. Its uniqueness was lost long ago.
IGN: Gonorreitor
Last edited by Valmar on Apr 12, 2019, 2:54:19 PM
Solid points by the OP. I couldn't have formulated it better myself, I completely agree and it's a sad development. Sacrificing core values in favor of corporative money.
"
gibbousmoon wrote:

To the devs at GGG, thank you very much for all your hard work over the years. I don't begrudge you the many hundreds of dollars I've pumped into this game one bit: You have earned every penny of it. And I expect that your current business strategy will be perfectly viable: You'll continue to suck in new players who will buy stash tabs. While I don't consider this the best way to create and maintain a good game, I do acknowledge that it is a way to create and maintain an effective business.

beside your other points, with which i totaly agree and forced me finaly to uninstall the game, this is something many dont think off. and i realy hope GGG isnt shooting in their own food with this behaviour. its hard to maintain audience, sure, but are some people worth to loose many long time players and supporters?
"
Tiitz wrote:
"
gibbousmoon wrote:

beside your other points, with which i totaly agree and forced me finaly to uninstall the game, this is something many dont think off. and i realy hope GGG isnt shooting in their own food with this behaviour. its hard to maintain audience, sure, but are some people worth to loose many long time players and supporters?

trust me they are not even doing much effort to retain new players either from the 3 weeks here so far I saw 1-2 patches and nothing big enough (okay maybe the syndicate intervension less lag bs but there's still reports about it) to make the league mechanic less annoying or frustrating only microtransactions..

this game is good BUT lacks more QoL changes such as more space for f2p players you can't tell new players to stop picking loot in any ARPG game just because you have to use your wallet to enjoy the genere.. it's disgusting and shady as company.

then I saw the entire of the guy wilson on that convention and clearly they only care about numbers, doesnt seems he's worried about players feedback or f2p players experience at all so long the money keeps rolling in and a "thank you for your support" is all life and peachy.
"Parade your victories, hide your defeats. Mortals are so insecure."

Once you break the cycle of fear no angels or demons can whisper you their sweet nothing words.

Retired since crucible.(Not a free tester anymore for a multi billion dollar company).
Last edited by Xystre on Apr 16, 2019, 8:30:31 PM
"
Xystre wrote:
"
Tiitz wrote:
"
gibbousmoon wrote:

trust me they are not even doing much effort to retain new players either from the 3 weeks here so far I saw 1-2 patches and nothing big enough (okay maybe the syndicate intervension less lag bs but there's still reports about it) to make the league mechanic less annoying or frustrating only microtransactions..

this game is good BUT lacks more QoL changes such as more space for f2p players you can't tell new players to stop picking loot in any ARPG game just because you have to use your wallet to enjoy the genere.. it's disgusting and shady as company.

then I saw the entire of the guy wilson on that convention and clearly they only care about numbers, doesnt seems he's worried about players feedback or f2p players experience at all so long the money keeps rolling in and a "thank you for your support" is all life and peachy.

its still a company with a, kinda, succesfull business model, so i dont blame for this. but sometimes it realy seems they care more about the state of new MTX than the state of the game.

wondering where the "systhesis numbers" are. only looking at twitch, where nearly no bigger streamer is playing poe anymore, i am curious how the numbers look like, and if the self-shooting maybe already have started. we had a similar situation during bestiary for example, but this time it realy gets me, and makes me frustrated and angry at the same time, since it seems they dont even know (or care?) what all the problems are.
"
Tiitz wrote:

wondering where the "systhesis numbers" are. only looking at twitch, where nearly no bigger streamer is playing poe anymore, i am curious how the numbers look like, and if the self-shooting maybe already have started. we had a similar situation during bestiary for example, but this time it realy gets me, and makes me frustrated and angry at the same time, since it seems they dont even know (or care?) what all the problems are.

“Shitthesis numbers” are not that important. There will be tragic dropdown in second month of the league, that's why they decided to release "turmoil", although they wrote earlier that they would not do such things anymore. This will solve at least problem with “numbers”.

Besides, they will be high enough due to release console version. Crucial are “financial numbers” though. If the financial results are proportionately worse in terms of the number of players, then they will have a problem. That would be beneficial for the players, because maybe they would stop issuing shit. If money will be ok, then… well, you can expect other leagues like this.
ok see you next league. :D
My end, it justifies my means,
All I ever do is delay,
My every attempt to evade,
The end of the road
And my end....
You love it, you start hating it, you uninstall, you come back after a year and love it again.
People get burnt out and are trying to come up with a reasons why they don't want to play anymore.
amen.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info