So, I just uninstalled PoE today.

"
Unquietheart wrote:

Neither of those was on my radar. Wolcen looks beautiful (and also, looks a lot like PoE), but these days I guess we've become spoiled for good looking environments. I note that recent reviews tend to be on the negative side, which is too bad.

My own personal categorization of ARPG ranges a bit broader. I've personally been hoping that Borderlands 3 will be decent. But that's not sword&sorcery, so perhaps many won't think it counts.

Regardless, I'll have to keep an eye on both of those, thank you.

As for me, the day on which Borderlands 3 will be released will be my last day of PoE, which I will say goodbye without any regrets. I love RPG-shooters like Borderlands and PoE, but unlike PoE, Borderlands serie has a really captivating story, with really juicy characters and, what is more important, does not contain all the idiocies, that currently plague PoE and which will only intensify.

I can build my character without without fear that someone will come in two months and sweep it off the face of the earth. And when I get bored of one character, I can create another one, knowing that if I devise it well, it will work. Such thing is currently impossible in PoE, it is like "be meta or quit forever with rage".

Also, paradoxically, I miss the game in which there is some loot. PoE is game without any loot and more and more reminiscent of real life, but very boring, and this is after all a game. Or should be. I would like to find some loot, but there is only garbage instead, so to have anything "good" I have to go to "work", craft, fiddling with prophecies or play stock exchange simulator instead of H'n'S or even shooter. To hell with it! I hope at least this Grim Down new expansion will be worth of my time, till Borderlands finally apears :)
"
gibbousmoon wrote:
Spoiler
After a few weeks of not playing, I've decided to uninstall. This is the first time in many years this game has not resided on my hard drive. Please allow me to explain why.

(Hopefully this isn't a goodbye and more of a see you later. I sincerely hope the game is able to draw me back again, and I do plan to continue participating in the forums at least a little bit.)

I'm not tired of the game, and I haven't burnt out (even a little), due to my playing style. But I have lost patience with three aspects of Path of Exile as of 2019. All three are fixable, but all three have also been in place for a year or more now, so I frankly do not expect even one of them to be fixed, let alone all three.

Number 1: Play the speed meta or go home.

As of 2019, the overall majority of league mechanics are based around blowing shit up as fast as possible instead of tactically engaging enemies and using skill, rather than raw DPS, to survive. This creates a situation in which many if not most (!) primary skills are almost useless for anyone who wants to engage any league mechanics (current and past) utilizing timers. Much like a door on the second floor of a house which opens to nothing but air, or a handle on a door which can only be pushed, such skills are "false affordances" (commonly called "noobtraps") whose falseness is not evident right away. As such, they are a form of player deception.

Many players love the speed meta, and I can't deny that there is fun to be had playing Lawnmower Simulator. But it comes at a price: Playing the game in accordance with GGG-designed affordances, PoE used to be the deepest ARPG on the market, bar none. Now it is one of the shallowest.

Number 2: Why bother with proper QA? As long as we keep pumping out new content as fast as possible, we can always draw in enough new players to compensate for the fact that almost all new material has not been adequately tested.

This applies to coding bugs, it applies to design bugs, and it applies to demonstrably bad design decisions which are probably caught with just a minimal amount of player testing but are left unfixed because your aggressive release schedule doesn't permit you to address any problems in time. This approach to development apparently started with the Fall of Oriath expansion in summer of 2017, and has shown no indications of going away any time soon. Every new league sees a swathe of new problems added to the list of still-unfixed problems introduced by past leagues, and you get further and further behind.

Number 3: Ethical microtransactions were effective in the early days of fundraising for the game, but their time has passed.

The creation of specialized stash tabs was, once, about removing pain points which had been inadvertently added to the game (map management, for example, or the large amount of currency). Now, however, the quantity of (deliberately?) unstackable item bloat seems to be designed in service to "planned player pain;" i.e., to coerce players into buying more stash tabs (and presumably the respective specialized tab as well, once it comes out).

This "annoyance model" is something we expect from freemium mobile games but not from GGG. As such, to give GGG the benefit of the doubt is to say that it is not the deliberate creation of pain points for players but rather the result of spectacularly out-of-touch and untested (see #2 above) design decisions, which frankly isn't that much better. Also, the end result is the same.

The willful obsoleting of map stash tabs in Standard is the icing on the cake. For over a year now, the only adequate solution to that problem has been for players to pay for the map tab a second (or third) time. Many posters have complained that it is not ethical to require players to pay again for what they thought they had already paid for. I happen to agree.

Spoiler
The usual WKs, trolls, and nasty people who like to say "don't let the door hit your ass on the way out" (plenty of overlap among the three) will most likely be summarily ignored, so don't even bother unless you are particularly eager to (re-)demonstrate to everyone here what kind of a human you are. Newsflash: Everyone knows already. Your behavior is a reflection of your character.

Now, I firmly believe in "Don't cut off your nose to spite your face." I don't quit games I enjoy just to make a point. And that's why point #3 above would not be enough by itself to make me uninstall the game (I have plenty of tabs). But points #1 and #2 have been painful for a very long time now, GGG. And I don't see any indication from you in either your announcements nor your behavior to indicate you even acknowledge these three problems, let alone intend to fix them someday. Instead of getting better they keep getting worse.

To the devs at GGG, thank you very much for all your hard work over the years. I don't begrudge you the many hundreds of dollars I've pumped into this game one bit: You have earned every penny of it. And I expect that your current business strategy will be perfectly viable: You'll continue to suck in new players who will buy stash tabs. While I don't consider this the best way to create and maintain a good game, I do acknowledge that it is a way to create and maintain an effective business.

I wish you the best of luck in the future with your business.

As player from beta I just suggest to keep game on disk and play from time to time as you will miss some emotions you/me/we are addicted to. .)

There are ton of fantastic games. PoE is real time eater like any other mmorpg and is offering much less.

Micromanagement is reason nr. 1 why I do not play much. I have stopped to trust ggg and enjoy game when xp with aoe nerf ocured. I return for few maps, occasionally for one week gaming if there is some new gem to try out and check out on forum only if I play game. I spend money only when game is forcing me to do so. I guess your life will look different and from observations its different, more content and satisfying. gl hf
Last edited by Rexeos on Mar 26, 2019, 10:58:28 AM
"
Chiroxun wrote:

https://clips.twitch.tv/InnocentEsteemedJuiceKlappa

video for you and some cry babies here...

I'm sure if I played enough to stream, I could just power through the terrible drop rate, and be just fine. It would be irritating, but I'd make do.

But I don't play that much.

I'm all for understanding, and being OK with time investment = easier play time.

The problem is, Map drops in Synthesis are still WAY down in terms of quantity. The disparity in map drops between now, and other leagues (and even standard), is staggering.

It should not be a slog fest to get mapping. it shouldn't be:

Run all the maps you have at higher tier, and then have to go backwards, in some cases down 2 whole tiers of maps, because the map drops are terrible.

But, that's where we casual players are at right now, with map drops in Synthesis.

Now off you go troll, go find your bridge. 1

Whatever you look at it, GGG is in trouble right now. Not because they released terrible league, just because they released it now. And in this case, time clearly runs counter to them. As everyone knows, the league turned out to be a failure, players leave the game en masse. Even the veterans give up, in addition embittered and pissed off. For image and reputation, something like this is a tragedy. And the third week of the league is just about to end, so even those who have moderately liked it will stop.

So it is still more than two months of this nightmare to go. At the same time, former PoE players, like me, for instance, will be surprised to discover that while they were playing PoE, many other interesting games have been released, which they can now purchase on sales, at a price equal to the price of some pitiful digital slippers in PoE. I already bought few of them and soon will play them too.

As if that was not enough, in April, in a moment, and certainly during Synthesis, access to the beta "Last Epoch" will be opened, which does not even hide the fact that it is a PoE clone. To be honest, I already purchased that one too. And in June, when some other PoE expansion or league (whatever) will be released, there will be summer hollidays soon, so people will be on hollidays instead of playing games, including PoE.

Bad time indeed for releasing crappy league.
You have been placed on probation for: ● Make hateful or needlessly negative comments ● Personally attack or cause harm to the reputation of others ● Antagonise others in an obnoxious manner ●
As someone who started not too long ago (1 week or less?) I avoided most questions and google them myself.. I did copy this build from seeing kripp when he plays the game here and there, thought it was fun and it's fun I don't deny it.

The game for me has alot of content to chew on still but I already indenity the OP issues myself in the game (mostly on the microtransactions wise) I don't care for the cosmetics honestly but the stashes are something critical since you gather ALOT of materials in the game.. so this was my first turn off.
Later on I found out that you need to pay more money to post items in order for others to buy them off you why is this even a thing? people forced to download external programs to fulfill this and they havent come with a solution yet?

Then as I started to progress on the game for the first time (and I know I'm not even CLOSE to mid game yet) I found out that you have to depend on RNG to progress on maps, I already left a shit game because it was overload with RNG for endgame.. sure I do get maps but mostly 1-2 is that what I'm supposed to do at level 80+?

Another thing I saw players constantly saying that this league is basically dogshit and I started to wonder if I picked up the WORST time to start playing this game.

Old league content also doesnt seem fully balanced nor tested, there's things that 1 shot you (which is fine as punishment for not dodging when you ACTUALLY SEE WHATS COMING TO YOU) but when you get 1 shotted randomly by whatever with all the chaos going around and not by a real mechanic in game like bleeds or reflect or whatever is legit, I think this is a design issue.. not sure how you guys managed to deal with some of the syndicate content anyway (I can guess it was with a tankish build?) while I'm a real newbie when it come to this game getting 1 shot without (with high resistances 75+ 90%+) being able to do anything reeks of a design problem, as result I'm basically running for my life every single time I get syndicate ambushes, I value more my experience than some recipes.

What I'm gonna do with all the info I gathered in my short time? for now will still play, I feel I dont have better items to survive certain things still, learn more about the game, because I got really into it despite the pay for stash thing which annoys me but not to the turn off point yet, still I recently stopped paying a company that go eaf ears when it comes to players feedback and I heard alot of people saying that this game dev's actually listen to players thats another thing that made me finally play this game, so far I'm not regretting it again despite some failures on design and some mandatory microtransactions (for the stashes, don't care about cosmetics)
"Parade your victories, hide your defeats. Mortals are so insecure."

Once you break the cycle of fear no angels or demons can whisper you their sweet nothing words.

Retired since crucible.(Not a free tester anymore for a multi billion dollar company).
"
Xystre wrote:
I heard alot of people saying that this game dev's actually listen to players thats another thing that made me finally play this game, so far I'm not regretting it again despite some failures on design and some mandatory microtransactions (for the stashes, don't care about cosmetics)

They used to listen, but since Tencent, if you do not agree with them, they either ignore you, or mute you for some time in Global.

This league *IS* Dogshite.

+1
I personally am back from a poe hiatus (3 years or so). A number of my friends have been continuous players, so I've kept up to some extent with the memes and development vicariously.

I really like the way that some things have gone.
1. Crafting, while much more convoluted (and not well explained, anywhere) is much better than when I left, especially with the death of the dailies, which were abhorrent.
2. The maps and atlas etc are a nice touch, delve is neat.
3. I like that Rares have become more valuable compared to uniques, though that appears to have been a fine line that GGG sometimes incorrectly crosses, things like Poets Pen, which I personally find myself fortunate to have never played with in their prime, are gross.

However, I cant help but completely agree with the OP. This clearspeed meta BS is gagworthy. When I see content that was clearly designed to encourage and support the clearspeed meta, like Incursion.... I cant, I'm without words. Its just so bad.
My friends complain about Reflect maps, but frankly, if it would kill the clearpseed meta, I would like to see all content come with like a 1% reflect for all hits and dots, all damage.
Just calm the fek down Sanic.
Brainless winter orb 1-button builds are not examples of good gameplay. A single glance at poe.ninja should tell the devs that they have made serious mistakes.

The point about QA shouldnt even have to be made. Literally everything about Synthesis was broken in at least one way on release, and when fixed only revealed more layers of brokenness.
I dont get it, honestly. Back when I played last GGG was on more of a 4-month release cycle, which seemed alright, but perhaps even then too fast. I get that shorter release cycles means more population spikes per year, and probably more revenue, but it clearly also means absolutely crap development.
Why not a 6-month development cycle even?
Who the heck besides no-lifers and streamers even has time to really finish a character in a 12-13 week league, especially when GGG hasnt doesnt even manage to actually get the league released in working order until several weeks in?
Honestly I would personally just play on standard if it wasnt polluted with all the broken legacy uniques. Can we have a Nerf server, aka a Standard league but where you actually balance old shit?
Last edited by urza1234 on Apr 6, 2019, 7:36:11 AM
"
urza1234 wrote:

Brainless winter orb 1-button builds are not examples of good gameplay. A single glance at poe.ninja should tell the devs that they have made serious mistakes.

I need another 10 levels of bold to embolden the boldest parts and this line would still be entirely bold
Gives streamers & friends queue priority and leaves supporters who spent hundreds $ packs in the 100k queue.

GGG: Don't you guys follow streamers?
Agree with the OP entirely. I loved this game in closed beta. Dev's have lost their way imo.

I remember when they said they were getting rid of gold to avoid having meaningless gold-sinks. Then, what did they do? Create 10000 different sorts of 'gold' for you to collect in order to coerce people into buying stash tabs. Sad.

Play GD, its an actual ARPG and not a trading simulator.
"the premier Action RPG for hardcore gamers."
-GGG

Happy hunting/fishing
I agree with OP and have uninstalled the game as well after Betrayal, will I return in the future? maybe.

But nowadays I only look through the forums once or twice a week.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info