Iron Will

"
Zindax wrote:
Weapon elemental damage is not spell damage?
No, it's weapon damage. spells don't use weapons.
"
Zindax wrote:
Weapon elemental damage is elemental damage and elemental damage is spell damage.
the underlined part is incorrect. elemental damage and spell damage are two unrelated categories that have some overlap. Some spells do spell damage that is elemental, some attacks do weapon damage that is elemental. Being elemental has nothing at all to do with being a spell.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
Zindax wrote:
Weapon elemental damage is not spell damage?
No, it's weapon damage. spells don't use weapons.
"
Zindax wrote:
Weapon elemental damage is elemental damage and elemental damage is spell damage.
the underlined part is incorrect. elemental damage and spell damage are two unrelated categories that have some overlap. Some spells do spell damage that is elemental, some attacks do weapon damage that is elemental. Being elemental has nothing at all to do with being a spell.

So the reason a fire trap benefits from spell damage, isn't because fire itself is a spell, it's because even though the bear trap and fire trap are both called spells, there is a clear distinction between the two of them. After all, if it was important whether or not it was physical or elemental damage, we wouldn't have made the distinction between ethereal knives (which benefits from spell power because it is magical), and a bear trap which (which doesn't benefit from spell power because it is manmade). After all, we realized that the fire trap is different than the bear trap. The fire trap is magical and could never be something manmade, while the bear trap is a device and is manmade, like the lightning on a lightning arrow, or the zombie, skeleton, or spectre that a necromancer summons? Is that why?

Hopefully I can get some insight. Or was the statement that I phrased in the form of a question perceived as correct?
Last edited by Zindax on May 8, 2013, 9:50:04 PM
Roughly, yes.

Fire trap is a magic explosion of fire. It is a spell, and deals spell damage.

Bear trap is a non-magical physical item. It does not deal spell damage. It is technically a spell, because there are only two kinds of skills - spells and attacks, and it's not an attack (it doesn't deal damage based on a weapon).
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Roughly, yes.

Bear trap is a non-magical physical item. It does not deal spell damage. It is technically a spell, because there are only two kinds of skills - spells and attacks, and it's not an attack (it doesn't deal damage based on a weapon).

Added fire damage and hatred though, that should work on anything that does physical damage, right? Added fire damage and hatred works on minions, because all those two damage adders care about is whether the form of the form of damage that they are buffing is either physical damage or converted physical damage. Conversion takes place after added damage occurs.

Edit: Nevermind. I saw where you said that Hatred does buff Bear Trap. I just assume that Added Fire Damage does the same since none of the added dmg stuff particularly cares about the origination of the damage, spell, attack, or otherwise.

If I were you though, I would just put ALL traps and mines in their own category and have spell power not affect them and buff them accordingly, unless you want a low spell power, low strength guy like a ranger to be bad at using it. I think it would make it a lot less confusing, and then instead of calling them spells because they are not attacks, you can call them traps, and then reprogram the tooltip accordingly so it works properly.
Last edited by Zindax on May 8, 2013, 10:22:49 PM
"
Zindax wrote:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Roughly, yes.

Added fire damage and hatred though, that should work on anything that does physical damage, right? Added fire damage and hatred works on minions, because all those two damage adders care about is whether the form of the form of damage that they are buffing is either physical damage or converted physical damage. Conversion takes place after added damage occurs.

Edit: Nevermind. I saw where you said that Hatred does buff Bear Trap. I just assume that Added Fire Damage does the same since none of the added dmg stuff particularly cares about the origination of the damage, spell, attack, or otherwise.

If I were you though, I would just put ALL traps and mines in their own category and have spell power not affect them and buff them accordingly, unless you want a low spell power, low strength guy like a ranger to be bad at using it. I think it would make it a lot less confusing, and then instead of calling them spells because they are not attacks, you can call them traps, and then reprogram the tooltip accordingly so it works properly.

Edit: If bear trap benefits from hatred you shouldn't be able to do damage with it with AB. That's my opinion at least. Reason is what I said below while I thought that it doesn't get a benefit.

The damage of the Bear Trap is done by the trap and not by you (that's why you can use it with AB). And since the trap is not categorized as an ally and is not effected by your aura the damage of the bear trap doesn't get any extra cold damage from Hatred.

“Demons run when a good man goes to war"
Last edited by Sneakypaw on May 8, 2013, 10:39:42 PM
"
Sneakypaw wrote:
The damage of the Bear Trap is done by the trap and not by you (that's why you can use it with AB).
True
"
Sneakypaw wrote:
And since the trap is not categorized as an ally
false
"
Sneakypaw wrote:
and is not effected by your aura the damage of the bear trap doesn't get any extra cold damage from Hatred.
It's not affected by your arua, but you are. And the trap, like all traps, gets the skill from you, and uses it as though you did. You'rea ffected by hatred, so your skill, used by the trap, is as well. it can't work otherwise.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
Sneakypaw wrote:
The damage of the Bear Trap is done by the trap and not by you (that's why you can use it with AB).
True
"
Sneakypaw wrote:
And since the trap is not categorized as an ally
false
"
Sneakypaw wrote:
and is not effected by your aura the damage of the bear trap doesn't get any extra cold damage from Hatred.
It's not affected by your arua, but you are. And the trap, like all traps, gets the skill from you, and uses it as though you did. You'rea ffected by hatred, so your skill, used by the trap, is as well. it can't work otherwise.

If the trap is an ally shouldn't it get the aura like minions? I know that would be stupid and the trap is probably only an ally for the sake of the mechanic but i would like to hear your 2 cents about that.

“Demons run when a good man goes to war"
Traps (and totems) can't be affected by auras because they don't benefit from them - they're using your skills, so having the aura improve their skills does nothing.
Totems would benefit a lot from defensive auras.

edit: Considering this is the Iron Will Thread, that's pretty off topic though, sorry!
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
Last edited by dudiobugtron on May 9, 2013, 4:04:52 AM
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Traps (and totems) can't be affected by auras because they don't benefit from them - they're using your skills, so having the aura improve their skills does nothing.

I agree with dudiobugtron. They are using your skills for offense, so the offensive auras are already applied to the totems indirectly. The defensive auras don't get applied?

Purity, Vitality, Grace and Discipline would greatly benefit totems/traps. Though I find it a bit silly to imagine a trap which has an energy shield.
Brutus. Do you even sync?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info