Iron Will

My apologies.

Frankly that's even more ridiculous that the system is granular enough to have part of a skill be treated as melee and part treated as projectile, but they can't reflect this granularity in the tags associated with the support and active skill gems.
It's worth noting that +2 maps are a dangerous thing.
They can cause players to get out of their depth -
playing maps that are too hard for the items they currently have. Herp Derp.
[Skip wall of text]: This gem scales extremely poorly.

Levelling a trapper using Iron Will on both Fire and Lightning trap. When I hit level 48, I began wondering why Iron Grip added almost no damage. Came here, and confirmed my suspicion that Iron Will's increase to the supported active skill gem is not added before passive nodes (+%trap/elemental damage), which would make it MORE (multiplicative) damage, and useful.

It is in fact (as stated a few pages back in this thread) added together with the passive nodes and other sources of %increased damage, for a grand total of a complete waste of a socket, even though it costs no mana.

This gem has no justification for existing at all, and using it after gaining just a few levels (and thus picking up a handful of +%damage increase nodes) is a terrible waste of a linked socket.

The point of this post is to dispute the earlier posts saying that this gem is amazing. Beyond the early levels, it seems completely useless, and eventually puts you in a situation where you have to reach for your chaos orbs to buy a different levelled gem to replace this one. :p

To clarify: Instead of this, using an Added Cold/Lightning/Damage gem instead would increase that gems damage substantially though passives (and other sources, like gear) as the game progresses towards endgame, while the Iron Will gems becomes increasingly lackluster. This is even more true after patch 1.2 where there is less incentive to take strength nodes for the life, because more life is gained from just levels.

Maybe a Pillar of the Caged God build can use this gem, but that is all I can think of.
Last edited by Nimaniel on Sep 3, 2014, 11:05:10 AM
It is kinda useless if you have shitloads of Increased Damage, yeah. Who knew.

Iron Will + Ethereal Knives on a Mara, go for Life and Blood Magic (all of which is around +Strength for Increased Damage). Meginord's Vise for +100 Strength and 10% Increased Phys Damage.
Does Iron Will provide damage bonus to Righteous Fire?
Thanks,
GGG listens to its fans!!! Thank you!
This support gem needs love.

I say this because it has not changed in forever, despite the changes to the tree.

There has been major additions to the elemental damage as well as the spell dmg nodes to the tree in the last year. They did this to add power to casters, and rightfully so as they needed love. But, IW has remained unchained.

Iron will has always been a niche build but the gem now is not even really viable at all.

I understand the argument that it shouldnt be as good as a straight caster dmg build as it has the added benefit of high life/armor defense, but the current disparity is too big. Its not like straight casters dont have their own defensive options with AA or CI.

It is very easy to attain 300 spell/elemental dmg from the tree for most casters. Its almost impossible to sniff that with IW and that is ignoring the difference in available cast speed and the penalty associated with Iron Will.

Please bring back this gem.

I agree the gem needs some love but also needs to be added to the skill tree somewhere on the Templar side. Makes no sense that Iron Grip has a keystone while this doesent. Would fit the templar nicely as something of a battlemage whos able to use his physical str to increase the damage of his attacks and spells.
This gem received some nice Buffs at Patch 2.0. So i think it´s okay now. but i agree that a Keystone would be really nice, cause why not? Iron grip as mentioned is in the Tree since ages now. Maybe the Dev´s think that this is too strong.

cheers
NurbelST Level 97 Low Life Animate Weapon (Standart)
DerNurbler Level 96 Low Life Animate Weapon (Talisman/Standart)
Animate_Weapon_for_Life (Essence)

"
The identifier system is there for a reason.
Yes. That reason has nothing to do with indicating which support gems affect which skill gems. That's not and never has been the point of the tags. They're not suited to that purpose and adapting them to it would make them unwieldy and poorly suited to their actual purpose, which is to identify logical categories of gems to which we can apply bonuses (+1 level to spell gems, increased crit with fire skills, etc).

Which is (part of) why the suggestions you make in your post would be a bad idea. Spells that summon minions (to take one example) are spells, will trigger anything that cares about spells being cast, and labelling them as not spells will do nothing for clarity.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Aug 4, 2015, 10:33:17 PM
Iron Will received a buff in 2.0. Looks like it's one of the best spell casting support gems now? According to the description on the Wiki, lv 20 quality 20 Iron Will gives 48% increased spell damage plus 1% for every 5 Str. So if I have 100 Str, it gives me 68% increased spell damage. Is this correct?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info