Culling Strike

I don't get it. Is it
//If I bring down a monster to 10% they die
or
//If I hit a monster who is already at 10% or less, then they die

When you hit an enemy, after they take damage from that hit, if they are then on 10% or less life, they die.
I never feel tempted to used this support gem, despite its mechanics. It seems like a niche skill that synergises better with (1) fast, weak attacks, and (2) attack that do fixed ~91% enemy health (like a specific detonate dead build :P).

Does this work with bosses and rare monsters?

"
zharmad wrote:
I never feel tempted to used this support gem, despite its mechanics. It seems like a niche skill that synergises better with (1) fast, weak attacks, and (2) attack that do fixed ~91% enemy health (like a specific detonate dead build :P).

Holy shit, This actually works really well in detonate dead builds. Thanks for the idea!
I confirmed that I am still in HC league. Then I died.
"
TheRabbit303 wrote:
Still have yet to see a leveled gem. Does it get increased damage, increased attack speed, bigger culling %?

At level 15 its reduced attack/cast speed is reduced to 3% (instead of 10%) and it gains +19% increased damage. According to the wiki, anyways.

All in all not bad for 110% cost multiplier. I think the best use for this is with Totem + Firestorm for shenanigans.

Detonate dead would be tricky, as you'd need +487% damage from other sources to bring the fire damage up to 91% of the mob's life for Culling Strike to finish them off. Certainly does seem like this would be the enabler for a build that would aim to do that though.
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
"
zharmad wrote:

This, would like to know aswell.
"
DeadLeaves wrote:
"
zharmad wrote:

I just reached level 31 to begin using Firestorm + Totem + Culling Strike on my fire witch. Sadly I'm out of time to play for right now, but I'll test this and try to see if I notice anything on an extra hp rare and on a unique. When I make it back to Merveil again, I'll use only this totem on her and see if it works on her as well.

EDIT: Okay. Well. I just killed Brutus with the above combo, and it was hard to tell... but I think Culling Strike killed him once he was less than 10% life. I can't be certain though, as I hit a lag spike as he died >.<

EDIT 2: Culling Strike definitely works versus rares and Fairgraves. I suspect that means it works against all Uniques as well, but still want to test versus Merveil (perhaps Act Bosses are special?)

EDIT 3: Culling Strike definitely works on Vaal!
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
Last edited by CanHasPants on Sep 5, 2012, 10:38:56 AM
"
CanHasPants wrote:
"
DeadLeaves wrote:
"
zharmad wrote:

I just reached level 31 to begin using Firestorm + Totem + Culling Strike on my fire witch. Sadly I'm out of time to play for right now, but I'll test this and try to see if I notice anything on an extra hp rare and on a unique. When I make it back to Merveil again, I'll use only this totem on her and see if it works on her as well.

EDIT: Okay. Well. I just killed Brutus with the above combo, and it was hard to tell... but I think Culling Strike killed him once he was less than 10% life. I can't be certain though, as I hit a lag spike as he died >.<

EDIT 2: Culling Strike definitely works versus rares and Fairgraves. I suspect that means it works against all Uniques as well, but still want to test versus Merveil (perhaps Act Bosses are special?)

EDIT 3: Culling Strike definitely works on Vaal!

You are a hero, thanks for checking it, you've done me and the community a great favor. <3
Last edited by DeadLeaves on Sep 5, 2012, 9:35:45 PM
Culling strike does work on rares and bosses. It works on everything.

I have CS on my Sweep and I will generally Heavy Strike down to 10% (I don't wish to be a cookie cutter groundslam/faceroll Marauder) and then sweep 'em once and fight over. Added benefit if you have rarity or quantity attached, as well.
I have more battle scars than the number of hairs on your ass!
Time Zone: CST -6 (Texas)
"
DeadLeaves wrote:
You are a hero, thanks for checking it, you've done me and the community a great favor. <3

:D Glad I could help.

I just wanted to add, my fire witch is no more, I rerolled her into a summoner two skill respec patches ago. But based on my experience with her in merciless, I don't think totems are meant to be for dps, especially elemental, as the damage really falls behind in merci. They seem more useful for passively adding a bit of utility to your attacks (blind, knockback, etc...), and that's just what culling strike does. I don't think it's good enough to fit into a main attack's sockets, as there are generally always more supports available that do a better job dealing that last 10% damage. That leads me to believe this support is best served on a totem, where it effectively reduces all mobs in range to 90% of their life. The exception, I suppose, is a main attack that focuses on being fast rather than strong, as they are generally very mana intensive (many applications of a skill to accomplish what a stronger skill could do in fewer uses) and Culling Strike has only a measly 110% mana cost modifier. Well, that, and for when you face Omega Weapon, where CS would effectively knock off 116k life.
Devolving Wilds
Land

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info