Voice Acting in Path of Exile

"
Pykish wrote:
Would be happy to see a list of voice actors and who they voice.

+1
Last edited by Exile009 on Feb 12, 2019, 9:13:20 PM
I love Einhar but I think you did very good work on the voice acting in general.
When I started playing I was quite bad and didn't get very far so I focused on the story and the dialogues.
I remember going to bed one night after playing PoE and hearing Tarkleigh's voice in my dreams.
Also, I sometimes remember lines from the game in conversations and just start laughing. It's a very important part of the game and I think you did well.
"The heart is meat. The head is where the Man is."
~Lavianga, Headunter
I think you could sell mtx for playable character skins / voices with different cultures, genders, and/or accents pretty successfully.

Because sometimes you'd rather have a female templar.

I get it would probably be a ton of assets (think portraits, etc. and you'd have to reuse/re-texture existing models so as not to redo literally every armor, etc.), but I'm just saying, I'd buy them.
I absolutely love the voice acting and characterizations for the Betrayal characters (except for a few of Vagan's lines). It was a joy for me that you managed to get most of the old Forsaken Master VAs back in the studio for new lines. It was an even bigger pleasure to get to know the new characters you introduced for the league. I like every one of them (sometimes in a "love to hate" way, like Aisling) and am impressed by how much personality and individuality you brought to them. It's hard to pick a favorite, but Janus Perandus is hilarious. I can imagine the writers giggling their way through his dialogue development.

While I agree with the many others who think that the Betrayal mechanics need retooling, I really like the characters themselves and very much want to see them in some form in Standard going forward. Listening to their dialogue has been a huge incentive for me to stick with Betrayal despite my frustrations with the mechanics.

Izaro Phrecius will always be my favorite, though. His voice...his dialogue...amazing. I desperately wish I could find a list of all his quotes somewhere. I wrote to Bex a few months ago hoping for some guidance on where to find such a list, but sadly got no response. If anyone at GGG sees this, PLEASE, tell me where to get a list of Izaro's dialogue. I want to frame it and put it on the wall.
"
Bex_GGG wrote:
"
ssm016 wrote:
Was the same actor who voiced Piety used for Aisling Laffrey?

Yes!

My secret love for Piety's voice acting revealed! Damn You!
I voiced the Cow King in D2 (among other fun stuff, but that's probably the piece that is most quickly recognizable). Interesting how little has changed in the world of voice compared to the world of graphics.
"
Is there any difficulty involved in getting actors back to play old roles for new content?
There can be, yeah. Sometimes an actor doesn't want to reprise a role for various reasons, or has moved overseas, or has a scheduling conflict. Actors are often booked months in advance for roles in film and television, but we have a much quicker turnaround -- Betrayal was written and recorded in the span of about 2 months -- so there's not a lot we can do when an actor is unavailable.

It was mentioned last year that we may get new voice over for act 5 for each of the character classes.

If you ignore the groaning after you defeat Kitava in part I, the last characters VO are done with 2.0 in 2015 after you killed Malachai.

It is about time to get new lines from the old characters.
They sound too good to be replaced with new ones with 4.0, especially the Witch actor is really nice.
Masterpiece of 3.16 lore
"A mysterious figure appears out of nowhere, trying to escape from something you can't see. She hands you a rusty-looking device called the Blood Crucible and urges you to implant it into your body."

Only usable with Ethanol Flasks
"
We want to make sure, of course, that characters you interact with a lot don't sound too similar, which makes actors like Jay Simon (voice of both Niko and Einhar) all the more impressive, since you can hear both voices back to back and never pick up on any similarity.

I think I may have a new hero.
"People ask me why I do this at my age. People are rude."
Voice acting can really make or break a game. Very often in video games we get soulless and flat dialog with cheap plots and motivations at best and I'm thankful that isn't my experience with PoE. In general all of the characters tend to turn into instant tropes and are immediately recognizable as "people" rather than "characters" and I really appreciate that.

Path of exile does a great job with this, probably best since the legacy of kain series, which was great for different reasons.

cool
█▀▀█ █░░█ █▀▀█ █░░█ █▀▀ ░ █▀▀█ █░░█ █▀▀█ █░░█ █▀▀ ░ █▀▀█ █░░█ █▀▀█ █░░█ █▀▀
█▄▄▀ █▄▄█ █░░█ █▀▀█ █▀▀ ░ █▄▄▀ █▄▄█ █░░█ █▀▀█ █▀▀ ░ █▄▄▀ █▄▄█ █░░█ █▀▀█ █▀▀
▀░▀▀ ▄▄▄█ █▀▀▀ ▀░░▀ ▀▀▀ ░ ▀░▀▀ ▄▄▄█ █▀▀▀ ▀░░▀ ▀▀▀ ░ ▀░▀▀ ▄▄▄█ █▀▀▀ ▀░░▀ ▀▀▀

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info