Path of Exile 3.6.0 will not support Windows XP or Vista

It looks like i will say goodbye to poe bc dx11 is not stabile!!
3.6.0 - PoE died for me.
I wanted to play a new league, but DX 11 with shadows will not let me do it. I always played DX 9 without shadows at 60+ fps, but now i have to play with 20 fps, but at DX 11 :)

P.S Sorry for my very bad english
no good
I do not even have the option to use DX 11 with Win 7 32bit (I use DX 9ex).
"
xinbu8680540 wrote:
after version 3.6.0
Can 32-bit Games be run on 64-bit systems?

Yes, 64-bit systems natively support, and are backwards-compatible with 32-bit code. The problem is, 32-bit code is unoptimal compared to 64-bit code, and is limited in regards to things like how much memory can be addressed.

The biggest problem is, as long as any game or app supports both 32-bit and 64-bit systems, it can't fully benefit from being 64-bit.

A 32-bit CPU can only see and access 4gb of RAM, while games and apps compatible with 32-bit CPUs are limited to a mere 2gb of RAM. 64-bit CPUs have much higher limits, however developers like GGG can't choose to utilize more than 2GB if the content still needs to be able to work on 32-bit systems with 32-bit clients.

With the removal of 32-bit support, GGG can be sure that all it's players, if they're still playing the game, are doing so using 64-bit systems. That means it becomes more viable for GGG to utilize more than the 2GB of RAM they've been restricting themselves to until now.
If your computer still supports DX11, but plays the game slowly, there are things you can do to improve performance. Sadly, removing shadows is not among them.

One little discovery I made recently is that Path of Exile supports ANY AND ALL resolutions, including ones that are below 800x600. This has given rise to what I like to call Diablo II Mode.

The problem most people trying to push PoE below 800x600 usually encounter, is that the game normally resizes itself back up to a minimum of 800x600 resolution while it's loading. If you manually alter the "production_Config.ini" file to use a resolution like 640x480, the game will initially launch in a 640x480 window for a few seconds before jumping to an 800x600 window that cannot be made smaller by dragging the edges with the mouse.

However I discovered this *only* occurs when the game is loading.

More importantly, if the desktop resolution is too low to fit an 800x600 game, Path of Exile cannot automatically resize, and will instead use the desktop resolution you're using.

Most modern desktop PCs no longer have "640x480" available within the Windows Resolution interface; my PC for example shows "1024x768" as the lowest supported resolution within that dialog box. However some graphics-card drivers do allow you to choose super-low resolutions.

ATI Catalyst Control Center, for example, lets you select "640x480" from within the "Desktop Management > Desktop Properties" tab. Selecting it forces your desktop resolution all the way down to 640x480.

If you then load Path of Exile, the game is forced into 640x480 mode. If you have display upscaling enabled in your graphics card driver, the 640x480 window can be fullscreen, or stretched to the size of your monitor while maintaining the correct aspect ratio (so things don't appear stretched).

Because the game is running in a VERY low resolution, you can get some very decent FPS boosts by using this mode. I get close to 25-30fps when doing this, which is a nice improvement over 15-20FPS at 800x600. There is a pretty obvious hit to the graphics when a lot of things are going-on (and the crazy thing is, Dynamic Resolution is still able to reduce the resolution FURTHER if it needs to, while Delving for instance), but I quite like the look of the game at this super-low resolution - it looks remarkably close to Diablo II, hence why I call this Diablo II Mode :)

Spoiler
Last edited by Pobatti on Mar 4, 2019, 5:49:39 AM
"
From what we can see, most of the players choosing to use the DirectX 9 version of Path of Exile were not doing so because their operating system didn't support DirectX 11, but because the old renderer allowed you to disable shadows. Path of Exile's game environments are designed around their shadows. Over time, we have relied more and more on shadows as a critical part of the environment, and so the game without shadows has become very different than the experience we intend. Because of this, we made sure that our new renderer had fast shadows. The DirectX 11 version (with shadows) performs much better than the DirectX 9 one did without shadows enabled.

This is a common mistake almost every game developers are making. Testing Dx9 without shadows and Dx11 with shadows on a High-End PC. And checking test results then "You see? This is better". No, it is not better.

You need a Low-End PC for this test to feel same as players. In other hand, some players do not want shadows without minding visual nor performance. But, you are keep dictating shadows to those players, strangely.

Another in other hand (yes, I have 3 hands) Read forum posts more often and carefully. Most of players problem is performance based (Some with networking/internet problems). This is not meaning game is requesting a High-End PC. Just players have normal/low-end PC. Other aspect is, High-End PC is always good to have for whatever you do.

You do not have to try understand why some players do not want shadows. Sometimes people just do not wants something. Its nature of humanity. Please, stop dictating it..

Regards
"
This is a common mistake almost every game developers are making. Testing Dx9 without shadows and Dx11 with shadows on a High-End PC. And checking test results then "You see? This is better". No, it is not better.

They even did the test wrong, mainly because they don't even understand why we run DX9. It was never about shadows. It is all about editing the TEXTURE!
It is all about those lines in the config that make the difference between 5 fps or 30.

texture_filtering=
texture_quality=

GGG's high is =0 for both, medium is =1 for both.

I don't care about shadows, but we need the game to actually read these lines in the config and apply them to make the game playable for a lot of DX9 players in DX11.

Even
texture_filtering=3
texture_quality=3
would be enough, the game doesn't even look like potato mode at all with this, but GGG doesn't even give us that.

They made a business decision, safe dev time and therefore money, by stop supporting DX9. I can play every other game with my PC, or buy a new PC to play PoE. I will make a business decision also!

Last edited by Sandor_Clegane2 on Mar 5, 2019, 3:35:44 AM
VERY bad decision to move dx9 out of this performance gabage....
maybe concentrate on your engine and performance improvements before u force players even more into solo play because ur game is nearly unplayable in a group of 2 with a high end pc thats 1 year old.
for shadows? nobody of them will see your shadows. they will just quit and play other games.... watching shadows in 10fps isnt what they wanted....
With Directx 9ex, 60fps.

Now, everytime Einhar shoots explosive projectiles, my game turns unplayable. And in town, I have constant 20 fps. And I can´t even play Purifying Flame, it's so laggy.

I think they only care people with good pcs.
Last edited by Gackuto on Mar 8, 2019, 10:15:37 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info