Elemental Proliferation

After reaching a certain level, I decided to remove this gem from my power siphon.

Reason is simple, whenever I crit, monster simply shatters. Whenever I don't crit, I only get a 1~2 second chill as the monsters usually die in 1 or 2 more hits. There are monsters out there that can tank, but it also means I can only freeze them for a short time, or none at all.

This gem shines the most when I have lower damage; so I can choose a low hp monster, almost kill it, and freeze the other monsters next to it. I can see this would work well with the new cold snap, having some decent damage and high freeze chance; casting cold snap on a group of monkey with this attached will likely to cause a group to be frozen, without killing the source. Then someone can finish the rest off by using main attack skill.

For people who're packing lots of cold damage and want to use this gem; well, you're pretty screwed, as you will gain little to no benefit from this gem unless fighting high hp monsters. (tho you can still link this gem to cold snap so you can freeze lower hp monsters too)

Alice_of_Wraeclast - Dagger CI Witch
Alice_MadnessReturns - Molten Strike AoF witch
Flavour Build concept taken from Alice: Madness Returns
Seems to me this should proliferate the fire damage per second from fire trap but it doesn't. Is that intended?
"
BlastMonkey wrote:
Seems to me this should proliferate the fire damage per second from fire trap but it doesn't. Is that intended?
considering a dev in this thread and a bunch of players in-game have said that the ground burning isn't a status effect but a buff. ele pro life won't work.

wonder if righteous fire is similar case.
I like to use this support gem with my icespear totem.

Unavailable

If i drop it thanks to the EP the world stand still :>
English is my third language, there will be bugs.
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
very interesting gem. i noticed the radius is a bit small. do AoE passives increase it?
"
Dryhumper wrote:
very interesting gem. i noticed the radius is a bit small. do AoE passives increase it?

The radius increases by 1 every gem level, so getting it leveled will also help the AoE :)
AoE passives work on every other AoE effect, so I'd say they should work. Not 100% though, so confirmation wouldn't be bad.
Will this support proliferate status ailments from slain enemies to nearby foes? This is very important for my build as I intend to do massive dot with Diamond Flask induced Fireballs, and the entire build is kind of moot if the enemy dies on the initial hit, without spreading the critical burning damage.

Edit: Didn't have time to read through the thread last night. Just did, and got my answer :)

Edit 2: New question, how often does the system check to spread status ailments? Could potentially make or break another crazy build I just conceived :D
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
Last edited by CanHasPants on Aug 23, 2012, 9:55:57 AM
has anyone seen a dev post about whether or not area of effect passives and gems are supposed to affect elemental proliferation? i've seen players claim that, but i'm not sure if i've seen an official post about it. i've been testing pretty extensively, and the increased area of effect gem doesn't seem to affect elemental proliferation. i was using a level 10 gem (23% increased radius), so the effect should have been at least noticable.

what i do is find a totem and kill everything except one melee mob. then i put a shock nova totem in range of the enemy totem, but out of range of the mob. i move the mob close to the totem and try to find the maximum range where shock will proliferate. then, without letting the mob move, i remove the area of effect gem, recast the totem, and see if the shock still proliferates. so far it always has.

i've also done the test in reverse several times. i move just outside the maximum range where shock still proliferates, keeping the mob in place once i've got him where i want him, and then add the area of effect gem to see if i can get the proliferation range to extend. no luck so far.

it's possible i'm just not testing well enough. the method i used is really annoying to do, because you have to make sure the lightning spell does enough damage to shock the totem for a half second or so, and you only get a 20% chance to shock (since totems aren't affected by elemental weakness), which means that the totem will die reasonably fast. so you have to do it pretty quickly in order to test with and without the gem, and you can't let the mob move at all. proliferation does NOT work going from mob to totem, so you can't do it that way.

regardless of whether the gem affects proliferation, it's still possible that AoE passives affect it. but hell if i'm going to test that.
Last edited by Dryhumper on Aug 26, 2012, 3:27:39 PM
I checked, and currently EP is not affected by AoE increases. I'll fix that at some point.
This does not work with Viper Strike, would be groovy if it did. But I'm guessing Viper Strike is not considered an elemental status effect. Viper Strike is a debuff instead of a status effect?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info