Elemental Proliferation

"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Yes. Shattered enemies no longer exist and thus cannot be spreading the debuff aura to other nearby enemies.
I hope that gets changed. At present, it punishes the player for dealing more damage, which I find contrary.

I'm trying to wrap my head around the current system. It looks like Proliferate is activating after the entire hit is resolved and the monster dies (should enough damage be dealt). It also seems there is time for statuses to take hold before monster death, because a cold damage crit can freeze a monster and kill it at the same time to shatter.

Would it be feasible to have proliferate spread the status (or at least save the information it needs to spread the status) between the status being applied and the monster death being triggered?
IGN: Totemofo
Last edited by lordbadguy on May 15, 2012, 2:11:07 AM
Elemental Proliferation is changing the elemental status ailments you put on monsters from being single-target debuffs to auras. If the monster isn't there anymore, any auras on it, including elemental proliferation, can't be spread.

This does mean there are times it's tactically better to freeze a monster then leave it alone and concentrate on other targets while it keeps things near it frozen. We consider this a fair trade-off for cold damage because it also gets the chill effect on all cold damage, that can be quite powerful proliferated.
Fire and Lightning only have burn and shock, respectively, on crit (or with bonus chance to occur) and these two persist on death. Cold gets freeze on crit that can't persist on death, and chill on all cold damage, requiring no crit or chance to occur.
Mark how would you feel about making chill not proliferate, but letting shatter corpses prolif?
"
Neonexe wrote:
Mark how would you feel about making chill not proliferate, but letting shatter corpses prolif?
I would feel that's impossible because there are no "shatter corpses" - shattering deletes the monster copse entirely and just gives you a nice graphical effect to look at.
Which is not to say there might not be other ways to accomplish something similar, but they would require a lot of work and I am not personally convinced at that point it would be worth it - not that that's my call to make.
Is the proliferation aura really linked directly to the model? That seems... odd.
It doesn't have to do with the model, it's that shattered enemies literally do not exist at all. They can't have an aura attached because they don't have a corpse to attach it to.
Last edited by Umbraal on May 16, 2012, 10:18:56 PM
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Elemental Proliferation is changing the elemental status ailments you put on monsters from being single-target debuffs to auras. If the monster isn't there anymore, any auras on it, including elemental proliferation, can't be spread.

This does mean there are times it's tactically better to freeze a monster then leave it alone and concentrate on other targets while it keeps things near it frozen. We consider this a fair trade-off for cold damage because it also gets the chill effect on all cold damage, that can be quite powerful proliferated.
Fire and Lightning only have burn and shock, respectively, on crit (or with bonus chance to occur) and these two persist on death. Cold gets freeze on crit that can't persist on death, and chill on all cold damage, requiring no crit or chance to occur.
"Tactical freezing" sounds good when you say it, but the only time a monster ever survives when I crit it is if it's a gold, named, or high-hp blue monster like a bear, golem, or necromancer. In practice, Elemental Proliferation is terrible if you deal any cold damage at all, even just one. That's because even that tiny bit is going to make the enemy shatter every time you would've applied ignite or shocked, and totally undermine the entire point of the support gem.

How it works for me is that nearly every enemy I crit just shatters and doesn't proliferate anything, and the only time elemental proliferation comes into play is the rare occasion that I don't crit on ice spear and happen to apply chilled (very unlikely since Ice Spear can easily reach 100% crit), or if I happen to crit one of those champion monsters and by coincidence don't end up killing everything else with the rest of my multiple projectiles.

I'd really love to design a build around burn proliferation instead of multiple projectiles, but having any cold damage totally kills the build. Avoiding all sources of cold damage is nigh-impossible for a weapon-user, and the best spell for crits is Ice Spear, and Cold to Fire can't completely convert all the cold damage.
Last edited by Strill on May 16, 2012, 11:52:56 PM
Perhaps that in order to shatter, the original time of a freeze needs to have a threshold higher than the threshold for freezing.
"
Umbraal wrote:
Perhaps that in order to shatter, the original time of a freeze needs to have a threshold higher than the threshold for freezing.
This is already the case. You need to actually freeze the thing, meaning you need to deal enough cold damage proportionally to their life to create a freeze of at least 300ms.

However, confirming this allowed me to find a small bug whereby chills would not apply to already-frozen enemies (they should do so, because they'll probably last long enough to still be there after the freeze ends).
I was trying to say that shattering should have a higher threshold than that to freeze (the 300ms). Like maybe 600 or a second so that it's not easy to shatter mobs with just a bit of cold damage because it's rather easy on white mobs.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info