[3.6] The Blizz Sorc - Icestorm/Winter Orb CI Occultist - Viable For Everything

Made another Uber Elder run and forgot to change Frostbite with Enfeeble and take Soul of Yugul for lesser cold damage. With sapphire flask up the Shaper's ball barrage was no problem again, was capable of "eating" 3-4 balls with absolutely no issues. Died only one time during the fight, too much slowing shiet on the ground and was not capable of moving towards leeching target.

Need to improve the killing of those little mobs that generate slowing ground without getting away Elder and Shaper as leechable targets.

So definitely this fight can be tanked in its entirety with high ES pool and decent damage to sustain leech and all the defensive assets added (PoI, The Vigil, Sapphire Flasks, Sould of Yugul, Arctic Armour, Watcher's Eye, Soul of Araakali(Blood Rage)).
Last edited by lilianmarius on Jan 10, 2019, 11:52:13 PM
When it comes to leech calculation i am kinda noob and i am trying to understand how the %increased ES recovery rate is working when we calculate the leech made by IceStorm.

According to PoB for a setup with 14091 ES and 28.856 average hit for IceStorm

ES leech cap value is : 5632 (with Vaal Pact)
ES leech per hit: 2249.1

I think that the 29% Increased ES recovery rate from my Watcher's Eye Jewel is taken in consideration when calculating ES leech per hit but the 50% increased ES recovery rate from Soul of Arakaali pantheon is not taken in consideration when that value is calculated, am i right?

Added a Watcher's Eye to the build without the ES increase recovery rate mod and of course the ES leech per hit was decreased to : 1743.5 which is exactly 29% less than the original value (with original Watcher's Eye with % increased ES recovery rate)

Going with this thinking if that 50% increased ES recovery rate is not taken in consideration for original value when IC procs and stop Blood Rage dot(and apply that 50% increased ES recovery rate) then the ES leech per hit value will raise to 3120 which is 1743,5*79% (29% from jewel and 50% from pantheon) isn't it?

Now the question i raised to those who have better knowledge regarding leech calculation formula, does this % increased ES recovery rate affects any other leech indicator or only apply as multiplicative to ES leech per hit value?

One more question how many hits/seconds normally can IceStorm land on a non moving target?Is this value affected by any gem in our staff setup like CwC?

Another term i don't quite understand regarding leech is the instance duration that goes with this formula (instance duration = damage dealt * % damage leeched / (max health * 0.02). According to PoB for my setup instance duration value is 2.05 seconds and the total leech per instance is calculated as 1154.6. In what way is this related to ES leech per hit and the ES leech cap?

Last edited by lilianmarius on Jan 11, 2019, 8:28:12 AM
"
lilianmarius wrote:
When it comes to leech calculation i am kinda noob and i am trying to understand how the %increased ES recovery rate is working when we calculate the leech made by IceStorm.

According to PoB for a setup with 14091 ES and 28.856 average hit for IceStorm

ES leech cap value is : 5632 (with Vaal Pact)
ES leech per hit: 2249.1

I think that the 29% Increased ES recovery rate from my Watcher's Eye Jewel is taken in consideration when calculating ES leech per hit but the 50% increased ES recovery rate from Soul of Arakaali pantheon is not taken in consideration when that value is calculated, am i right?

Added a Watcher's Eye to the build without the ES increase recovery rate mod and of course the ES leech per hit was decreased to : 1743.5 which is exactly 29% less than the original value (with original Watcher's Eye with % increased ES recovery rate)

Going with this thinking if that 50% increased ES recovery rate is not taken in consideration for original value when IC procs and stop Blood Rage dot(and apply that 50% increased ES recovery rate) then the ES leech per hit value will raise to 3120 which is 1743,5*79% (29% from jewel and 50% from pantheon) isn't it?

Now the question i raised to those who have better knowledge regarding leech calculation formula, does this % increased ES recovery rate affects any other leech indicator or only apply as multiplicative to ES leech per hit value?

One more question how many hits/seconds normally can IceStorm land on a non moving target?Is this value affected by any gem in our staff setup like CwC?

Another term i don't quite understand regarding leech is the instance duration that goes with this formula (instance duration = damage dealt * % damage leeched / (max health * 0.02). According to PoB for my setup instance duration value is 2.05 seconds and the total leech per instance is calculated as 1154.6. In what way is this related to ES leech per hit and the ES leech cap?

Much of this falls into the fuzzy part of mechanics that I'm not 100% sure of. I do know that that watcher's eye mod increases ALL ES recovery (and also your leech cap) by the stated value.

The other thing I know (from the IceStorm dps calculator I posted earlier) is that a 7 second single icestorm will hit a stationary radius 3 hitbox (humanoid bosses) 18-21 times 39% of the time. With that being the most likely spread.
"
lilianmarius wrote:

ES Recovery Rate is applied at the very end of the calculation, just before the ES is actually restored to you, and is multiplicative on top of other things like Vaal Pact (and thus "ignores" the 2% cap per instance, if that's what you're asking?).

"
lilianmarius wrote:

Each Icestorm instance hits 10 times per second, so when fully stacked...
Maximum hits per second = Icestorm duration * 10 (hits per second) / 0.35s (cast time)

Each Icestorm hit deals damage to 16% of the area of effect of the total Icestorm (and this number can't be changed), so in practice less AoE results in increased hit rate, where the hit rate is at least 16% (chance to hit a point target), typically more like 25-40% on a small target, up to 100% on a Dominus sized target with Concentrated Effect slotted.

"
lilianmarius wrote:

Each instance of leech is capped at 2% of your ES restored per second, before Vaal Pact or ES Recovery Rate mods are applied, thus the leech instance for a single hit gets spread out over 2 seconds in your example.
I got even more blurry after these explanations. :)

What I want to know if I am hit let's say for 7k and let's assume I have full Icestorm stacked up on target for full DPS I will recover in 1 second max 5632 ES (which is my leech cap) or that value will be increased by % increased ES recovery rate from WE and/or Arakaali pantheon but no more than 7k since I get to full ES back?

Or the % increased ES recovery rate affects only ES leech per hit value and max leech cap is only influenced by Vaal Pact and your max ES?
Last edited by lilianmarius on Jan 11, 2019, 10:46:53 AM
"
lilianmarius wrote:
I got even more blurry after these explanations. :)

What I want to know if I am hit let's say for 7k and let's assume I have full Icestorm stacked up on target for full DPS I will recover in 1 second max 5632 ES (which is my leech cap) or that value will be increased by % increased ES recovery rate from WE and/or Arakaali pantheon but no more than 7k since I get to full ES back?

With Overleech that would be the way it worked, but otherwise leech ends the moment you hit max ES, so each time you are hit, you begin stacking leech from nothing all over again, this takes at least 10 hits (more if your leech instances are too short, like just Warlord's Mark vs bosses) before you reach your max leech rate.
"
lilianmarius wrote:
Or the % increased ES recovery rate affects only ES leech per hit value and max leech cap is only influenced by Vaal Pact and your max ES?

ES Recovery Rate doesn't technically alter the leech cap, but this is just a technicality, as it is applied after the leech cap, so in practice it works as you surmised - WE and Arakaali are additive (so you need to back-work a bit from PoB numbers, which take WE but not Arakaali into account), and applied multiplicatively on top of Vaal Pact.

But I feel like my wording might be slightly confusing there, so put more simply, yes, your effective leech cap is around 7800 ES/sec with Arakaali up (5632 * 1.79 / 1.29), but it still takes a minimum of 10 hits to get there after every time you hit max ES and get hit again.
Last edited by vector84 on Jan 11, 2019, 11:14:32 AM
"
lilianmarius wrote:

Yes. Simply add your 29% from the jewel and 50% from Arakaali together. You have a 79% increased ES recovery rate.

Since this is applied post-cap, your effective leech cap is 40% from VP * 1.79 = 72% of your ES pool per second. The actual amount leeched per hit and the actual number of hits are irrelevant because the cap is easy to reach even with mediocre gear, and your stuff is godly.

You have 14091 ES, therefore you can leech up to 10146 ES per second. That's not even counting the ES gain on hit which is nice but nowhere as big as the leech. The Shaper's barrages don't do quite as much DPS, and he's not constantly shooting at you either. All other damage in that fight is insignificant compared to it.

There are 3 main dangers:
- leech target disappearing (Shaper teleporting, boss phases, adds dying);
- non-physical degen disabling Arakaali (vortex balls);
- Siphoning Slow slowing you by 80%.

When I tried the total facetank in 3.4 with the fire Ascendant version, vortex degen was not a factor since that version didn't use Arakaali. I was still able to outleech everything even standing in a vortex. But it would be a waste not to use Arakaali with the Occultist, so you may need to move a little if the vortex balls come at you, and they may not even come to the center.

Targeting quickly is not too hard. So that should be OK too.

Siphoning Slow was the only reason I couldn't do this in 3.4: the Elder slows you, the Shaper teleports and starts shooting from a new location, and you just can't get Icestorm on him quickly enough. But that was without Arakaali and with 11k ES.
Last edited by Kelvynn on Jan 11, 2019, 1:14:41 PM
I don't know why you guys are so obsessed with this blood rage+arakaali soul stuff. Played during league without this feature and didn't even feel uber atziri flameblast, shaper slam/balls, uber elder projectiles in each variation and don't even think that I am needed more es recovery from leech.
"
mqecco wrote:
I don't know why you guys are so obsessed with this blood rage+arakaali soul stuff. Played during league without this feature and didn't even feel uber atziri flameblast, shaper slam/balls, uber elder projectiles in each variation and don't even think that I am needed more es recovery from leech.

That's an interesting point. Maybe Arakaali is an overkill and not really needed. I'm just a sucker for clever interactions between different skills. :)

And I've been wanting to facetank Uber Elder. I don't see that being possible without Arakaali or at least a Watcher's Eye with extra ES recovery. But then again, it's not something that needs to be done. You can kill Uber Elder just fine with a small amount of dodging.

I'll replace Arakaali with other major powers and see if Lunaris or Solaris can contribute anything more (obviously, the Brine King is of no use to Occultist). Technically, all Pantheon powers are not really necessary for this version except Yugul for ele reflect.
Last edited by Kelvynn on Jan 12, 2019, 11:04:59 AM
Finally managed to record with my bad PC a video of an Uber Elder fight. As you can see the fight is kinda easy with this Occultist version of the build because even if i am a noob and my reflexes are very slow can kill it almost without any problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDwsVT1CW7Y&feature=youtu.be]Uber E

P.S. Ignore the flask presses, i am used to press all flasks all the time like a Pathfinder! :)
Last edited by lilianmarius on Jan 12, 2019, 1:13:39 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info