[3.6] The Blizz Sorc - Icestorm/Winter Orb CI Occultist - Viable For Everything

"
Kelvynn wrote:
Indeed, there is a partial nerf to F&S. But it's still an amazing defensive aura. Vast majority of monster skills are attacks. And there is also a small buff to the blind aura radius.

Damage on WO after the nerf doesn't matter much. The main advantage of Cyclone is that it's a movement skill. You don't need to stop to cast. That's great for both clear speed and boss fights. It's a massive DPS boost in boss fights where you have to move (such as Uber Elder). Takes some adjustment to get used to that play style, but it's worth it.

So much this...

I ran with CWC Cyclone last league for a while. For mapping I really enjoyed Pathfinder mini ascendancy for extra mobility and flask uptime.

And I used Champion for the Fortify procs, Movespeed, and some damage.

This was great for mapping and just clearing through the atlas quickly. Not optimal for end game bosses, but respeccing when you want to start farming end game doesn't seem unreasonable.

Also, Vortex+Bonechill+Arcane Surge is a nice setup while cycloning as it doesn't interrupt movement (yay instant cast).

This was a Poorjoy's I did in Legion at low level with this setup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT0N12P7tnc
"
Kelvynn wrote:
Indeed, there is a partial nerf to F&S. But it's still an amazing defensive aura. Vast majority of monster skills are attacks. And there is also a small buff to the blind aura radius.

Damage on WO after the nerf doesn't matter much. The main advantage of Cyclone is that it's a movement skill. You don't need to stop to cast. That's great for both clear speed and boss fights. It's a massive DPS boost in boss fights where you have to move (such as Uber Elder). Takes some adjustment to get used to that play style, but it's worth it.

Yeah I definately think F&S is still worth using. The biggest benefit of it is the blind aura, and although the rededuced damage only applies to attacks now, that is still useful.
Here we go!

New video: 3.8 pre-flight check

Still getting used to Cyclone, but my movement is precise enough now. Uber Elder goes quite a bit faster than before Cyclone, mostly because I never need to stop to cast Icestorm.

No build thread yet. Maybe I'll manage to make it by tomorrow, maybe not.
PoB for my test char: https://pastebin.com/mFs16Hg4 (ThePokemonWhisperer in my profile).
"
Gryphenprey wrote:
Also, Vortex+Bonechill+Arcane Surge is a nice setup while cycloning as it doesn't interrupt movement (yay instant cast).

That's an interesting idea! I'm currently stopping only to cast Frostbomb, very briefly. But perhaps there is a way to avoid stopping completely while keeping all those mechanics. I'll think about it.
I just wish that they improve performance and reduce particles so that Spell Cascade on Whispering Ice doesn't turn the game into a PowerPoint presentation.
"
Sachiru wrote:
I just wish that they improve performance and reduce particles so that Spell Cascade on Whispering Ice doesn't turn the game into a PowerPoint presentation.

Cyclone makes SC very optional. Try clearing with the boss setup (CE). It works fine.

SC was good because it saved you time: instead of casting 3 Icestorms while standing still, you only needed to cast 1. But when you are constantly moving forward it no longer matters in most maps, except some wide open ones. The area in front of you where you point the cursor is a death zone either way. For wide open maps, if SC lags you too much, you can just use Inc AoE instead of CE. And level spare gems in the swap set, or w/e.

Or maybe the swap weapon would be good for the situations where you want to stand still and cast instead of moving. In that case you can use WO in the swap weapon.
Last edited by Kelvynn on Sep 5, 2019, 10:54:29 PM
"
Kelvynn wrote:

Cyclone makes SC very optional. Try clearing with the boss setup (CE). It works fine.

SC was good because it saved you time: instead of casting 3 Icestorms while standing still, you only needed to cast 1. But when you are constantly moving forward it no longer matters in most maps, except some wide open ones. The area in front of you where you point the cursor is a death zone either way. For wide open maps, if SC lags you too much, you can just use Inc AoE instead of CE. And level spare gems in the swap set, or w/e.

Or maybe the swap weapon would be good for the situations where you want to stand still and cast instead of moving. In that case you can use WO in the swap weapon.

I see. So the recommended setup now is a 6 socket, three-link staff, since cyclone does not benefit from the other gem links?

Cyclone + ES Leech + Cast While Channeling
Controlled Destruction
Elemental Focus
Cold Penetration
3.8 build thread is up!

Will update as I play the league. I want to try the new mines for leveling to 38. They look totally OP at low levels and shouldn't require any investment at all, except maybe run a Shadow to Merveil's Cavern quickly if the gems are not available to the Scion.
Gah. I spent last league playing WI and having great fun, but without ANY of my corruptions, rings or coil, hitting +%int.

This league I play minions and ofc this appears.

Any ideas on pricing for this beasty?
crafting question... I qualitied a regalia, then alt spamming hit the int mod as lone mod.. so I got a magic regalia with 12% incr int. do I just augment and regal hoping for the best, which will likely brick or is there a better way? alt spamming is expensive these days
have finally gotten used to the lab... I dont hate it anymore.:)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info