Occultist CI Toxic Rain - Tri-Curse / Fast Tanky Clear / Uber Elder / Deep Delver

"
Koheleth wrote:
I played a TR penta totem inquisitor last league. Quill rain was the starter bow then you saved up for +3 elder with viscous projectile mod. I got a +2 with VP and killed shaper ez with it. I want to try this now, wondering if a bow like I used last time will be good. Reading everything you guys have said, it sounds like if I can get through part of the game with quill rain then yes.

Yes, your damage with non quill rail bows will be higher this league than last, because of the chaos dmg multiplier. So while our early game was
nerfed the endgame was actually buffed.

Killing trash with a slower bow might be more annoying but its going to kill bosses even faster.

But it might feel worse due to lower attack speed and projectile speed. We'll see.
Last edited by Alexfrog0 on Dec 7, 2018, 3:38:03 AM
So I made a TR Occultist that isn't quite the same as this as I chose to go to the ranger tree. I calculate my damage by taking my DoT number and multiplying by 4 since I notice on an average sized character I don't consistently hit 5. I'm sitting pretty at about 320k dps not counting frenzy charges or wither stacks and 400k if I include all 5 hits. You can get a +2 bow with 6 links for 40ish chaos this league and it's even cheaper if you have dread essences. I bought a 6 link short bow and threw a dread on, crafted attack speed and off I went.

It's a fun tanky build and I have a ways to go for maximizing my damage, but I will say that the damage cap is definitely a thing. I'm considering trying to work Agony Crawler into this build but then I'd have to either get a LOT more accuracy or use Lioneye's Glare which would nerf TR's damage by a lot. Also I would have to switch to the other side of the tree but that seems alright since it's a very viable build anyways and I can grab Zealot's Oath for more regen (love me some regen!)

The crawler itself I'm having trouble calculating DPS for so I think I need to read other threads but I think there is some serious merit in doing a hybrid TR/crawler build with occultist. I'm aware PF does this but I think we could do it better especially with the ES shenanigans we have going on.

I'm waffling between the wither/chaos multi node and the hexproof/explodey node. The explodey would increase clearing but I would gimp myself even more against bosses. I think I'll stick to the Beacon of Ruin tree.

Edit - My profile should be public, I'm playing TabSluppins and it's my only Betrayal character. When I ran the numbers, the attack speed gem ended up being more damage when I pencil/paper'd it.
TabSluppins - Pizza guy
Last edited by squ1shed on Dec 13, 2018, 11:05:30 PM
Would be great to have a continuation of this guide, with some tweaks and things like that.
"
squ1shed wrote:
So I made a TR Occultist that isn't quite the same as this as I chose to go to the ranger tree. I calculate my damage by taking my DoT number and multiplying by 4 since I notice on an average sized character I don't consistently hit 5. I'm sitting pretty at about 320k dps not counting frenzy charges or wither stacks and 400k if I include all 5 hits. You can get a +2 bow with 6 links for 40ish chaos this league and it's even cheaper if you have dread essences. I bought a 6 link short bow and threw a dread on, crafted attack speed and off I went.

It's a fun tanky build and I have a ways to go for maximizing my damage, but I will say that the damage cap is definitely a thing. I'm considering trying to work Agony Crawler into this build but then I'd have to either get a LOT more accuracy or use Lioneye's Glare which would nerf TR's damage by a lot. Also I would have to switch to the other side of the tree but that seems alright since it's a very viable build anyways and I can grab Zealot's Oath for more regen (love me some regen!)

The crawler itself I'm having trouble calculating DPS for so I think I need to read other threads but I think there is some serious merit in doing a hybrid TR/crawler build with occultist. I'm aware PF does this but I think we could do it better especially with the ES shenanigans we have going on.

I'm waffling between the wither/chaos multi node and the hexproof/explodey node. The explodey would increase clearing but I would gimp myself even more against bosses. I think I'll stick to the Beacon of Ruin tree.

Edit - My profile should be public, I'm playing TabSluppins and it's my only Betrayal character. When I ran the numbers, the attack speed gem ended up being more damage when I pencil/paper'd it.

You might be loosing a lot of damage and attack speed for not taking minion nodes. In fact I believe you are losing a lot of damage and attack speed for not taking minion nodes. I'm too lazy to open PoB to check the numbers.

Edit: you're also wasting skill points on Cruel Preparation and Heart and Soul.

Edit 2: Unless you were boss killing you can also swap Despair from Asenath since you're getting it from Witchfire and it should have constant uptime.

Also, what are you trying to achieve using this CWDT setup?
Last edited by tnomis on Dec 16, 2018, 7:01:35 PM
What is your opinion on using a Headhunter with this setup?
I've just started mapping and I'm having a great time. The build performs just as advertised - screens melt in purple and green goo.

I did arc until 48 when I found my leveling exalt, and switched then. For my Quill Rain I paid 20 chaos for a 6-link short bow and 185 Chance orbs, which is a little less than I expected. The rest of the gear was a few chaos each; I think all in all it came to about 140 chaos, which is about 3/4 of an exalt these days.

I had a little trouble with dex at first, but by the time I killed Kitava it was not an issue. Very satisfying feeling of getting substantially stronger each level.

Asenath's Chant is a really good piece of gear - it may not be 'optimal' optimal, but it sure saves a lot of time in battle getting those cold snaps and temporal chains out.

The resistances minigame is a challenge, but it's not too hard depending on your wealth.

Don't be intimidated by the OP's chest - I had no trouble finding a 650 ES chest for less than 20 chaos. Once you've got some gear there's this really cool transition in your gameplay where you stop running from bosses and start standing on top of them - it feels really good.

Great build, much joy.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info