Occultist CI Toxic Rain - Tri-Curse / Fast Tanky Clear / Uber Elder / Deep Delver

This build is currently in progress, this post will be updated with actual in-game gear and information as I progress. So far I am at Delve 280 and have done all 4 Guardians (all but Chimera deathless first try) and Shaper deathless first try. Working on Uber Elder next and seeing how far I can Delve.

INTRODUCTION

This is my take on the very popular new skill Toxic Rain. I chose Occultist because I think it has the best ability to push the furthest in Delve. Curses are extremely strong defensively, we get a massive ES pool with tons of sustain, and Toxic Rain has very high base damage which allows us to be very tanky while still doing plenty of damage.

One small drawback to this build is you do have to manage mana a little bit. There are lots of ways to handle this, personally I'm going with Mana on Hit jewels, a little bit of mana leech, and a mana flask.

VIDEOS (more coming soon)

OVERVIEW

Pros:
+ Big ES pool. 11k+ ES possible with good gear. 8k+ on a small budget.
+ Fast clear speed. Density scales up clear speed and sustain with Profane Bloom and Vile Bastion.
+ Very hard to kill. Enfeeble + Temp Chains + Chill + Occultist Wicked Ward with Soul Strike + Vile Bastion mean that in and out of combat you are very tanky.
+ Strong and safe single target damage.
+ Can do literally every map mod

Cons:
- Mana intensive
- Starter gear slightly more expensive than Life based.

SKILL TREE DETAILS

Spoiler
Occultist - I chose this over Pathfinder or Trickster because it gives us a much higher EHP pool, curses are extremely powerful, tons of sustain that scales with density, and Profane Bloom for the swag purple "pops".

Path of Building: https://pastebin.com/DHXaMEHf

Skill Tree Passives

Ascendancy Points: Profane Bloom -> Wicked Ward -> Vile Bastion -> Malediction

Bandits: Kill All

Pantheons: Soul of the Brine King / Soul of Tukohama, this is all personal preference though.

LEVELING TREES

Spoiler
Passive Tree (30 Passives)
Early on we want to pick up all the life nodes that are close.

Passive Tree (60 Passives)
Next we start to pick up some damage while flushing out some of the travel nodes.

Passive Tree (91 Passives)

Somewhere in here you want to start transitioning into CI. I switched when I could get around 5k ES and had Wicked Ward.

Passive Tree (116 Passives) - Pick up Zealots Oath if you have decent regen (I have boot enchant + Pantheon)

CALCULATING DPS

Spoiler

Toxic Rain fires 5 arrows by default that land in a spread around your target. Each of these arrows spawns a pod on the ground that has an AOE chaos degen for the duration of the pod. Through testing with other players in PvP (you can see how many "stacks" are on them) 4 of these pods overlap on average.

DoT DPS * Attacks/second * DoT Duration * 1.36 (mirage archer) * 4 (pods). All these numbers are vs Shaper. Add 11.6% more damage to all these numbers with a lv21 Toxic Rain.

lv20 gems - 9,693 * 5.01 * 2.24 * 1.36 * 4 = 591,756 DPS
With Vaal Blight - 11,856 * 5.01 * 2.24 * 1.36 * 4 = 723,807 DPS
With Frenzy Charges (cold snap) - 13,276 * 5.31 * 2.24 * 1.36 * 4 = 859,030 DPS

In Delves we have permanent uptime on Frenzy charges.

GEAR (in progress)

Spoiler
Currently at just under 10,902 ES. Not a whole lot of upgrades I can get at this point that aren't ridiculously expensive. One very important one is getting a Crystal Belt with % Increased Energy Shield from Body Armour. This gives you flat ES based on your chest, in my case the 16% roll gives me an additional 112 flat ES = 448 total ES.

Quill Rain - You can get a 6L relatively cheap by using "The Porcupine" divination card set and then Chancing it. I've done this 4 times in the last few leagues and on average it's around 140ish chances.

Asenath's Chant - Not really mandatory but huge QoL. You can get this cheaply through the Prophecy Song of the Sekhema

Soul Strike - 80% faster start of Energy Shield Recharge is insane with Occultist.

Bated Breath - Always a good belt choice for Occultist. Not using this myself right now as I don't need the extra recharge rate and I like the flexibility on my other gear having resists on my belt gives.

Ascent From Flesh - Thanks to Carlovski for this suggestions. Another very good belt option!

Bisco's Leash - Rampage is awesome in Delve, very fun and gives you some rarity and quantity which is nice.

Witchfire Brew - Free curse, some extra damage, and blind. Very good flask for this.

For the rest of your gear you want to focus mainly on ES and Resistances and some STR/DEX. Intelligence is an added bonus to get whenever possible (more ES).

Current gear at lv92

Yes my chest is pretty insane. I crafted it myself with fossils. You can easily get one with 550+ ES for pretty cheap though!

LINKS AND GEMS

Spoiler

Bow - Main DPS Setup (Most -> Least important)
Toxic Rain
Damage on Full Life - No brainer, huge damage.
Vicious Projectiles - Projectile damage scales the DoT.
Mirage Archer - Not the biggest DPS boost but adds huge QoL and clear speed.
Increased Duration - The increases the duration of the DoT portion of Toxic Rain.
Void Manipulation - Biggest damage boost of the remaining supports.

Helm - Curse/Utility
Temporal Chains
Cold Snap - Chilled ground and provides Frenzy charges while mapping/delving.
Enhance - Quality is very powerful on Temporal Chains
Mana Leech - Open slot, I like mana leech to help with mana.
Despair - I swap to this for hard bosses like Shaper/Guardians so we have a higher uptime on the curse instead of relying on our flask.

Gloves/Boots - Wither Totem - Another option is Ranged Attack Totem but our accuracy is really bad so I prefer this.
Spell Totem
Wither
Faster Casting
Increased Duration

Chest - Vaal Skills/Utility
Vaal Discipline
Vaal Blight
Phase Run
Cast When Damage Taken
Immortal Call
Increased Duration

Other
Blink Arrow
Blasphemy
Enfeeble

These are just my recommendations! Please experiment, I've tried at least 10 different setups along the way and prefer this one.

JEWELS

Spoiler
Spreading Rot

You want jewels with Mana on Hit, ES, attack speed, chaos damage, projectiles damage, damage over time, or resists.

LEVELING

Spoiler
A huge pain if this is your first character, go with a spell and respec later.

Otherwise it's super easy, grab a bow, grab Toxic Rain, destroy everything. Storm Cloud is best to level with. I also suggest using Darkness Enthroned belt with some low level Abyss jewels.

FAQ (in progress)

Spoiler

Why are you taking minion nodes? Read the Spiritual Aid and Spiritual Command nodes on the tree. These make it so those minion nodes give us damage. They are very efficient.

What about a +3 gems bow with Vicious Projectiles? Go for it! If you can get one with at least 1.6+ APS or have a lv4 Empower it's better than Quill Rain.

Can I use X item or take X passive? Yes, this is a guide not a dictatorship. Please mold the concepts in this guide to best fit your character and play-style.

I thought you said this was "budget friendly" but you are using a 700 ES chest and a 6L Quill Rain, what gives? These are super high end items for the build, not requirements. The build functions perfectly well using a random 5L and a 0 link Quill Rain.

Can we contact you in-game or through messages? Please keep all questions to the forum posts. I check them frequently and will answer all in the threads. I'm happy to help you but it's impossible to play the game while being spammed by questions (most of which are probably answered in this post already).
IGN: Dmillz
Last edited by Dmillz on Sep 30, 2018, 1:15:12 PM
Last bumped on Jan 23, 2019, 12:52:21 AM
not planning on using bated breath?
Nope. I could probably swap to it with a few gear changes, I'm pretty over-capped on resists now so I could afford the loss of them. I just don't think the recharge rate is that amazing, it just means that my ES caps faster and Wicked Ward turns off and if I'm taking sustain damage I need to be very careful.

It's definitely still a good and strong belt option, just personal preference. I will probably give it a try at some point later on when monster damage in the delves starts getting scarier.
Last edited by Dmillz on Sep 11, 2018, 10:26:23 AM
yeah it's actually not giving a whole lot of raw es over just a good crystal belt actually

Edit: chance to hit is 70% on pob, does the explosion from toxic rain care about accuracy?
Last edited by Aevra on Sep 11, 2018, 5:13:51 PM
The explosion does yes but the DoT does not. It lowers my mana on hit effectiveness but that's about it.
so how exactly does the damage work with so many hits? does each hit provide its own dot or is it a bunch of dots stacking up?
Last edited by Aevra on Sep 11, 2018, 7:18:08 PM
The DoTs and hits are totally separate. Every attack has an initial 5 arrows that land in a spread with a very tiny hitbox. Each of these plants a pod on the ground that does a DoT in an area for your skill duration (2.21 seconds in my case). After this DoT ends it does the big explosions you see which have on hit damage. Every DoT can stack.
Added a couple quick videos. Will add more harder stuff later. Farming T14/15 and trying to push my Delve level, down to 223 or so.
I've been told Energy Shield is worthless in deeper delves. A lot of my Guardian friends have rerolled. No?
livejamie
I guess we'll find out, only at Depth 223 right now (this is my 2nd char). I don't see why it would be bad on an Occultist though. You get a larger hit pool for one shots, my energy shield regen starts very quickly, I constantly have a pretty high amount of ES regen, and I don't get hit very often with all the slows I have. Also there's Vaal Discipline for those "oh shit" moments.

It probably feels really bad on non-Occultist though unless you have a ton of sustain through leech or regen.
Last edited by Dmillz on Sep 12, 2018, 10:02:29 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info