[3.7] Chunky Chargrill Chieftain - Incinerate CwC Volatile Dead - [2x Demigod winning build]

I love this build so far but made an adjustment to the weapon (work in progress). My gear is pretty bad, and would link but currently on mobile, but I get trashed by mobs really quickly.

Am I missing a key part to the sustainability of this build? My gems may be weird as I was messing around and switching some out.. Just assume I am using the links in the the guide but logged out with weird ones. Warlord's mark doesn't seem to be sustaining my life like I thought it would.

What's everyone doing for leech? Does the Uber lab point really take this build to the next level? Still, missing that as well since I keep dying against izaro.
Well finally killed Uber Elder after playing around with the build/gear. In the end used Kaoms Roots and Vix Lunaris. Granted this is for SSF, I assume anyone playing regular betrayal can just trade for the gear they need. Took me a while to get these 2 items which helped in defeating Uber Elder. I have completed the game almost 99% in terms of encounters. Only 2 fights I have not done are Pure Breachstone Chayula and The Crystal King, both due to not having the fragments for chayula and not finding crystal king in delve yet.

The build can clear all content, it just takes a lot of practice to master it correctly, I did find crafting a weapon with chance to deal double dmg while focussed to have helped me tremendously for windows of opportunity to do damage. It eats trash just fine, but boss fights are a different story, you need to know when to pop flasks/extra dmg abilities after having placed down a few desecrates.

This is the current gear I use, I am maxed chaos res, and all my 3 ele resist are the same for Wise Oak min/max. I do have Herald of Ash, Warlords Mark and Aspect of the Crab up all times. I didn't need to -mana cost both rings, but did it for uber elder to prevent any stop in damage/leeching when the opportunity presented itself, since 90% of my mana is reserved, a little more when I equipped Lunaris and didn't use enlighten anymore.

For uber elder swapped off boots and ignored the gems, didn't place em anywhere else and used Vix Lunaris. Also swapped to a chest which gave me more life and life regen and different flask setup. Only died once early on in the fight before even making shaper immune the first 25%, then was able to survive for the rest of the encounter.

It's a good, fun build. I committed to it and made it work, just keep at it. Here's a link to my build and you can see the jewels as well I used.

https://poe.ninja/challengessf/builds/char/Korruptus/ArsonistBoom?i=5&search=class%3DChieftain
Last edited by Korruptus on Feb 1, 2019, 4:32:46 PM
I Have been SSF'ing this build for a while too.
Though I have changed everything aside from the core 6-link, and the 3-link desecrate.
Not sure if people are still interested in this build, if so I will update with my gear + gemlinks.
Killed everything in the game aside from Uber Elder, even though it was close, with 0 changes to the build I use for mapping and no Uber Elder experience before this.
Shaper is a joke, mapping speed and delve is actually very very fast.

This build is actually nearly top tier with the changes, and enough currency investment.
Last edited by Fluxje on Feb 3, 2019, 4:25:14 AM
"
SignoEleven wrote:
Has this build changed from the gems in the first post? I checked the latest Cell_Immolation and it's a tad different. Is the new preferred way the current gems in Cell_Immolation?

I don't have all the gear yet, but so far I like the play style.

Thanks!

It has, shield charge is just wrong. Flame dash is the way to go. Same with the totem setup + desecrate. It is actually completely useless, especially when you start gearing up for real.

Flame Dash >>> shield charge.
CWDT 4 - link automatically ensues to compensate for loosing fortify.
"
Fluxje wrote:
I Have been SSF'ing this build for a while too.
Though I have changed everything aside from the core 6-link, and the 3-link desecrate.
Not sure if people are still interested in this build, if so I will update with my gear + gemlinks.
Killed everything in the game aside from Uber Elder, even though it was close, with 0 changes to the build I use for mapping and no Uber Elder experience before this.
Shaper is a joke, mapping speed and delve is actually very very fast.

This build is actually nearly top tier with the changes, and enough currency investment.

I'm interested to see the changes, please post your gear + gemlinks! TIA
Last edited by romi510 on Feb 3, 2019, 10:29:40 AM
"
Fluxje wrote:
"
SignoEleven wrote:
Has this build changed from the gems in the first post? I checked the latest Cell_Immolation and it's a tad different. Is the new preferred way the current gems in Cell_Immolation?

I don't have all the gear yet, but so far I like the play style.

Thanks!

It has, shield charge is just wrong. Flame dash is the way to go. Same with the totem setup + desecrate. It is actually completely useless, especially when you start gearing up for real.

Flame Dash >>> shield charge.
CWDT 4 - link automatically ensues to compensate for loosing fortify.

I've tried both and can say, shield charge with fortify just helps you survive better. Flame Dash gives you more mobility. In the end, it's up to the person playing what they prefer. But I can say, I been playing this since league began in SSF. I will agree about the totem setup, I dropped that early on while leveling, just doesn't perform well.

Cleared all content but the 2 I mentioned in my previous post just because I haven't found them yet but after Uber elder, the first real challenge for this build. Everything pales in comparison, until you need to do Uber Elder with this build. It feels as if the difficulty just ramps up 5x compared to everything else you've faced before.
Alright so this might be a big post, but I will see it at the end.
First of all, I completely SSF'd this league. Partially because Betrayal lends itself well for it, and partially because this is one of the biggest strengths of this build. It is VERY, VERY budget friendly up to lower tier red maps.

Here are two Path of Builder links, for the people who want a TL-DR. Pre-Shaper and Post shaper
Pastebin build links.
Spoiler

Pre-Shaper
https://pastebin.com/k7rLesbd

Post Shaper
https://pastebin.com/p8XyzqGa

Lets talk first about the basic gem changes that I recommend to everyone compared to the original 3.3 guide.
The only gem-links I kept are the 6-link, the 3-link desecrate AND the 3-link aura-setup (However in endgame builds you can tweak the latter, more about that later).
The biggest gripe I noticed early with this build is its mobility. If you want to take any character serious in PoE it needs to be able to map relatively easy and quickly in my opinion. And the Mobility gem link setup was seriously lacking in that department.
Also the original build had alot of skills that require ALOT of dexterity to be usefull, and this build is very very dex starved.

Movement 4-links
Spoiler

First of all, Flame Dash was seriously buffed in 3.4, and therefor it should always be your main go-to skill as a caster over Shield Charge.
The reason behind this is that it scales with cast speed, instead of attack speed which is useless for a pure spellcaster.

The downside of this ability, namely the fact that it can not be spammed indefnitely, is overcome by the other gem Phase Run and a quicksilver Flask.

Because we are not using frenzy charges, Phase Run has a relative short duration, but we can overcome that by slotting increased duration in it.
The result is a 4-5 second movement burst that you will always spam in between flame dashes. It also is a very nice quality of life gem, that allows you to get through mobs, and makes you very maneuvrable in boss fights.

To end it all, I decided to slot clarity as last gem, because with increased duration and the amount of spam we do this becomes a nice overall damage buff and QoL.

Because we are missing out on fortify now due to using Flame Dash, we use another 4-slot to make up for it.
For everyone reading the old build, the 4-slot totem build is VERY USELESS. Not only does it eat up your desecrate 3-link charges, it needs corpses around it to work, and it just dies in any encounter where you might want to use it.

4-Link defensive CWDT setup
Spoiler

This is basically your standard Cast When Damage Taken setup. Because of our high innate lifepool, you should be looking at a full lvl 20 setup. Something i discovered for myself later on the way. I ran for a long time a 1-1-1-1 setup which is wrong.

Fortify and Immortal call are your basic go-to's. And immortal call also works nicely with the endurance charges we use. As last we use Molten Shell, just because it still retains its duration after Immortal Call is gone, and also gives a nice burst of fire-damage as a bonus

Recommended Elder Sceptre over Shaped Sceptre
Spoiler

I have seen alot of people saying that a shaped sceptre is the best way to go, and imho they are very very wrong

A Sceptre with Spell Echo makes your desecrate setup SO Much better, both for the cast speed and the corpses you generate (3 charges will always be enough).
In addition people forget that with Avatar of Fire, the '+%extra chaos damage mod is useless, and if you want to drop AoF which is possible, you will loose out on probably the best rings we have access too Mark of the Shaper. Plus all other ease of gearing options and mods.

Now the last 4-link is where personal choice and gear options come into play most. I decided myself on a 4-link helm setup with Vaal Righteous Fire. This mostly because it really helps with burning down Syndicate even at T16 maps, and all non Shaper/Uber elder type of bosses. With the right Elder Helmet you can make VRF a 6-Link, which is a very very high 4-5 second burst of damage, which retains your mobility.

Possible last 4-link setup's
Spoiler

As I stated earlier, there is alot of room here for personal choices.
The best choices I see here, but remind you this is all endgame, is the 4-6 link VRF, OR another 4-link CWTD setup, OR more aura's.

CWTD-choices
If you are thinking of which gems to link in another CWTD setup. I recommend going for something like Rallying Cry, Enfeeble and/or maybe other defensive utility spells.
Or you go for a offensive Setup with Vulnerability, Elemental Weakness, Ashe Golem.

Additional Aura and QoL Options
If you have access to a Shaped Shield with 15% reduced mana reservation (10 might also work but I did not do the calculations) you can slot Vitality or Anger in your shield slot. This allows you to run Herald of Ashe in your Helm, and gives you 3 more gem-links that you might want to use for QoL purposes. Think of Ashe Golem, or a 3-gem link CWTD setup.

My Current Gear and Gem-Link setup. Note this is far from perfect, and I only started trading yesterday to generate currency. So there is still alot of improvement

Current Gear and Gem-Link setup, Post-Shaper, and recommendations
Spoiler

So as you can see, I am still far off getting max life rolls on all my gear, which should be first priority.
A high end Stygian Belt would be the first personal change I make.
Second would be trying to get an Elder Sceptre with Spell Echo and more damage. My current Sceptre is missing out on at least 70% possible spell damage and a T1 fire damage to spells roll.
Third would be rerolling my shitty Elder Ring, and bad amulet to something actual usefull. A watchers Eye might be an option, but I Have not explored that route yet.
A 35% movement speed boots really would be great too, but I value the chaos resistance too highly in this league.
Last getting a better Helmet, with reduced %fire resistance and +fire damage to spells or going for a shield with the %reduced mana conservation is an option.
Also for the people looking at my Path of Building links, will notice most of my Abyssal Gems are really in need of upgrading.

Possible Endgame Miror-items stats:
reaching 7.5k Life (with 500-800 ES), 80 Ele resistances and 25% CR with 800k-1million Shaper DPS is possible. You will also have nearly 100% fire pen, which is very stupid.

This is based on my current gear and simulation, in which I have 650k Shaper DPS and 6.7k life at lvl 93

Early-game recommendations
Spoiler

Run 2-3 Quicksilver flasks
Level extra Volatile Dead and Incinerate Gems early so you can get a possible lvl 21 gem fast, and at least 20% qual on them.
If you are SSF'ing or early in the league, farm BA untill you get a tabula. It took me 3-4 hours to get one, and its just generally the best option to farm BA. If you dont get one before lvl 74, you can consider mapping instead.

Hopefully this wall of a post, gave people some more ideas, and big thanks to the original creator of this build.

Last edited by Fluxje on Feb 4, 2019, 6:55:55 AM
"
romi510 wrote:

I'm interested to see the changes, please post your gear + gemlinks! TIA

Done, see the post above this one :)
Last edited by Fluxje on Feb 4, 2019, 5:29:47 AM
"
Fluxje wrote:
Alright so this might be a big post, but I will see it at the end.
First of all, I completely SSF'd this league.

Did you leave SSF Betrayal? Were you able to defeat Uber Elder in SSF? I see that you are in Betrayal League, not SSF. I was thinking of doing this build next major patch for SSF but from what I'm reading, seems like Uber Elder is insanely hard to do with it, even if all other content can be cleared. Would like to be able to have a build that can clear everything.
"
Lightbringr wrote:

Did you leave SSF Betrayal? Were you able to defeat Uber Elder in SSF? I see that you are in Betrayal League, not SSF. I was thinking of doing this build next major patch for SSF but from what I'm reading, seems like Uber Elder is insanely hard to do with it, even if all other content can be cleared. Would like to be able to have a build that can clear everything.

I did not swap leagues, I just did not trade until a couple of days ago.
Trading can make early leagues boring in my opinion, but if you ever want to play standard its throwing away currency if you roll on an actual SSF league, since you get a better deal out of your items before the league rolls over.

Regarding Uber Elder.
I should have added a section in my post, but its definitely doable. However it requires either changes to the build (changing the 6 socket is the most straight forward), or just equipping Kaom's Roots.
Kaoms roots mostly negates the entire encounter.
There are very very few builds that are good in everything in the game.
If you are looking for a build that is very budget friendly, a league starter, one of the faster higher end mappers and that can clear MOST content in the game than this is a very solid choice.

Edit:
I dont know how much experience you have with actual SSF leagues, but remember that pretty much all cookie cutter builds that can do Uber Elder easily are either 15-20 exalt builds. Which means its not easy to obtain in SSF.
Or they are trapper type builds, which are lacking in mapping speed.
Last edited by Fluxje on Feb 4, 2019, 9:41:21 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info