Ask a Question Game - Backwater Thread

Hiding out in Argentina under an assumed name, enjoying her old age.

Q. What is inductive reasoning?
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
A.) The opposite of capacitive reasoning; the combination of the two produces an LC brain filter that blocks out all reasonable thought at a subject bandwidth selectable by the specific combination of inductive ability and logical capacity in a given brain.

Q.) Best D&D race for making a hopeless romantic?
"
1453R wrote:

Q.) Best D&D race for making a hopeless romantic?

Gnomish bard.

"
Personality Traits

d8 (+2) Personality Traits
1 I think everyone’s motives are ultimately as simple as those of my animal friends.
2 I’m not really comfortable anywhere that I can’t easily hide.
3 There’s no tale so heroic that I won’t embellish it a little further.
4 I want giant piles of gems and gold, mostly for aesthetic appeal.
5 I’ve never been at a loss for a good pun. Well, a pun.
6 Grandiloquent verbiage cascades forth from me unstintingly.
7 I’m dangerous to myself and others if I don’t have a mystery to keep my mind occupied.
8 I’m never really happy if I don’t have a good secret to keep safe.
9 I have sketches of projects on every spare scrap of paper.
10 I have all kinds of half-finished projects in my room, my backpack, and my pockets.

Ideals
d6 (+2) Ideals
1 Nature: The rhythms of the natural world should guide our steps and thoughts. (Neutral)
2 Fairness: Jokes and pranks should never target someone who would actually be hurt. (Lawful)
3 Creativity: With more than three centuries to spare, I’ll fill my life with big new ideas. (Chaotic)
4 Power: The Big Folk will treat us as equals only when we have the strength to compel them. (Evil)
5 Peace: All people desire self-determination. Let’s not get in the way of each other. (Neutral)
6 Freedom: The Big Folk ignore us, so we gnomes will make our own way in the world. (Chaotic)
7 Respect: I’ve been misjudged before, and treat others with respect so I don’t make the same mistake. (Good)
8 Aspiration: I want to prove that I’m one of the cleverest minds of my people. (Any)

from here

All the tests were about physical things and actions. I don't know enough about DnD so I researched it and I think gnome fits the hopeless romantic traits best.

But maybe I'm a hopeless romantic in choosing that :3

Q: What's your favourite article of clothing, and why?

A: Pants. Can't live without pants in current society, modesty aside, they can carry most gear out of all clothing items.

Q: Inflation aside - are flagship phones going to cost 2k USD equivalent of today's money in the future?
Be ready. You're not paranoid, you're PREPARED.

I quit this game every few months and so should you to continue playing it in the future.

The device is believed to have been dropped
"

Q: Inflation aside - are flagship phones going to cost 2k USD equivalent of today's money in the future?

Yes. The word "flagship" bumps the price up 150%, every time.

Even if people don't know what a flagship is, to explain it, they know it on an instinctive level.

OMG I need that in my back jeans pocket now!

Do you believe in ghosts?
Ghosts, spirits, djinn, etc...

Call them what you want. I don't believe in them, I know they are very real. What they are I don't claim to know. I've seen many things in my life that I can't explain. I've also got a few EVP's I recorded in this cemetery down the road. This was long before digital recorders were common, I still have the mini-tape with the full recordings but nothing to play it with. I did manage to digitize some of the "voices" before I loaned the recorder to someone that moved away before I could get it back. I was a truck driver at the time and would listen to Art Bell on Coast to Coast AM (it helped pass the time as a 3rd shift driver with nothing else interesting on the radio), back before there were all these ghost hunting tv shows. Well, one night the guests were demonstrating all the EVP's they had recorded and I wanted to check it out for myself to see if it was real or not.

So one night I went and bought a voice recorder with external mic (apparently this is important for non-digital recorders to lessen the sound of the moving parts in the recorder) and me and 2 of my friends headed down to the creepiest cemetery we knew of which just so happens to be not very far from where I live. There we were, the three of us sitting in a circle with the recorder sitting in between us. We would record for 30 or 40 mins and then drive up the road to listen and see if we recorded anything, we were all just too creeped out to stay there and try to listen to it. Three times we got nothing on tape and on the fourth time we all agreed that we would just go home if we caught nothing and write it off as a hoax.

Well boy did we catch something on tape. In three spots there are unexplained "voices" that we couldn't account for. Two of them aren't very intelligible but one you can clearly make out words. You can also hear a little girl scream on the tape, that part I didn't digitize but later found out there was a 4 year old girl murdered there. Story of the 4yo here More on that story here

Does it prove anything? Probably not, but to me it just shows that there is much we don't know about the world we live in. It's all pretty creepy, and the feeling you get in those situations is something that just can't be explained.

If you'd ever want to sit around a campfire and tell ghost stories, I've got a lifetime worth to tell. :)

Who's your favorite standup comedian?
Just a lowly standard player. May RNGesus be with you.
Last edited by Shovelcut on Aug 25, 2018, 8:12:22 PM
"
Shovelcut wrote:
Q: Who's your favorite standup comedian?

John Mulaney cracks me up.

Q: What's the best thing about being alive in 2018?

Last edited by erdelyii on Aug 25, 2018, 9:38:49 PM
"
erdelyii wrote:

Q: Do you have a fond Machiavellian chapter in your life's story?

I cant believe no one has answered this question yet...

So lets go.

I went out of my way to watch a particularly non-talented individual fuck up a metric shit ton of data in order for her to look bad. I fixed said data making me look good. I got the job.

Not overtly Machiavellian, but close enough.

Q. Best places to visit in Europe if I manage to get to go to the LHC for a visit?
There are 10 types of people. Those that know binary, and those that dont.
"
essemoni wrote:

Q. Best places to visit in Europe if I manage to get to go to the LHC for a visit?

That'd be a fun visit. If your scientific bent extends to the Gothic and the historical,

"
I was taken to see it by David Spurr, Professor of English at the University of Geneva, who is curating an exhibition about the creation of Frankenstein at the Bodmer Foundation Museum which, by coincidence, is just five minutes’ walk from the villa.

The exhibition, which runs throughout the summer, has objects to thrill the blood – not just the iconic portraits of Mary, Shelley and Byron, on loan from the National Portrait Gallery in London, but pages from the original manuscript, in Mary’s hand, with Shelley’s marginal annotations. As Prof Spurr said, “We can see the two of them, bending over the story and working on it together.”

As remarkable, in its way, is the official weather report for the city of Geneva in June 1816, which shows that it was cloudy and dark every day and that “the oak trees don’t have a single leaf yet”.

Across Europe the skies had been darkened by fallout from the eruption of Mount Tambora, in modern-day Indonesia, the previous year. Crops failed, people starved and, on the shores of Lake Geneva, “incessant rain often confined us for days to the house,” according to Mary.

In the candlelit drawing room of the Villa Diodati, the English poets and their acolytes passed the time discussing the life force and the possibility of reanimating a corpse. They also read horror stories and Lord Byron suggested they should each try writing one themselves.

On the Frankenstein Trail in Switzerland

"
Byron cheerfully denounced Switzerland as “a curst, selfish, swinish country,” albeit “placed in the most romantic region of the world”. He would surely have been left speechless by the sophistication (and prices) of today’s Montreux, where the lakefront quais are lined with cut-out steel sculptures, there are poop-bag dispensers on the lampposts for dog-walkers, and the waiters in the Jazz Café wear two-tone shoes.

I'd visit the Alps and train a telescope on the Eiger to watch the climbers [warning, sometimes they fall], maybe take a side trip to Brittany to see some menhirs.

Partly suggested to you as a contrast to the LHC, but in the same spirit of seeking to go beyond.

Q: Who should colonize Mars?
Last edited by erdelyii on Aug 26, 2018, 6:43:15 PM
No one, its kind of a shithole. Orbital habitats make far more sense. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTDlSORhI-k

Q: What if DNA is grey goo?
HAIL SATAN!
Last edited by tramshed on Aug 26, 2018, 6:59:50 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info