Poe already scraped the infinite dungeon ... hears why

So in early development GGG had designed a infinite dungeon then decided to scrap the idea in favor of maps . More then one reason factored into this however the main reason is pretty simple . It kills build diversity along with making player expectation around character performance a huge problem .

So why it kills build diversity is pretty straight forward , you will have one goal , maximize loot / EXP for player imput . This become a min/max race and very quickly whare ONE build begins to rule them all . Now some of you may think that this is how POE functions already , and your not wrong . However what a infinite dungeon dose is makes this problem much worst and the sole direction for builds in the game .

The second Problem is player expectation . What happens when your "fun" build can't get anywhere in this dungeon ? You will feel as if you have failed , since it will also be stumped on a map tier and poor at farming bosses . This leads back to the same problem , players will gravitate towards the one build to rule them all .

This is what happens in the greater rift community in diablo 3 , you are limited to how well you do on the leader board based on what build you are running THEN how optimized the build is compared to other identical builds . In PoE however another major problem will be that unlike diablo 3 whare you can farm any gear yoy want relatively easy , in this game you will also be gated off from better gear / more EXP AND currency . Also players will not want to push themself as you might think they would as the risk/reward system will punish them , so they will fall back on speed farm builds to farm the easy part of the dungeon .

Map wher the solution to this problem and a great solution it was , however from constant crying on reddit and this forum about map pool sustain , and junkey like players deciding to farm low level content . The map system has morphed into a shitty form of greater rifts already , this dungeon is just a formality at this point and IMO a sigh that the original vision of PoE is dead and never coming back .

What do you all think ? im going to leave myself open to trying it , perhaps some mechanincs we are not aware of could help deal with some problems , however im very skeptical .

Just a sec let me grab a beer...@#*@ Ok how did I die this time

Learn the rules, it's the only way to exploit them.
Last bumped on Aug 31, 2018, 12:04:33 PM
Not enough information about delves and how they compare with end game maps in terms of exp/loot per hour. It might not be very lucrative and be more of a ego swinging contest more than anything.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
Don't play a shit build

Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
"
Don't play a shit build

Im sure all the SSF players and new folks will love to hear that condescending elitist horse shit answer
Just a sec let me grab a beer...@#*@ Ok how did I die this time

Learn the rules, it's the only way to exploit them.
Good points! I personally don't have a real opinion on dungeons since it's not out yet but I do agree that there will be a lot less builds and diversity. It's not only that people won't play weak builds but it's also that build makers won't make / share builds that can't handle high level dungeons as it's wasted effort.

There are already quite a lot of way too broken builds in PoE, I can't imagine GGG fixing all of them.

"
Nephalim wrote:
Not enough information about delves and how they compare with end game maps in terms of exp/loot per hour. It might not be very lucrative.

If the numbers aren't on the same level as maps, people simply won't play it. Easy.

Remember Bestiary?
Uploaded an awesome Exsanguinate Freeze Explosion build on the forums - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3508506
Last edited by Kiss_Me_Quick on Aug 10, 2018, 6:38:33 PM
not everyone is going to be competing for the ladder. this won't limit builds at all, except maybe just the "ladder", which is limited more in who and less of what.
"
xMustard wrote:
not everyone is going to be competing for the ladder. this won't limit builds at all, except maybe just the "ladder", which is limited more in who and less of what.

I mean higher tier dungeons should have obviously better loot too, no? If not, it's a waste of time again.
Uploaded an awesome Exsanguinate Freeze Explosion build on the forums - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3508506
This is why a LEAGUE is a great place to try it out. If it actually kills build diversity, then it doesnt get added to the main game. OR, they nerf the 1-3 builds that are obviously miles ahead (because now we have actual data that shows what is ahead), Buff some under performers, and now we have 12+ builds that can all go deep into the mines.

ITS JUST A LEAGUE. it isnt forever. RIP BESTIARY
That meta problem u r talking about exists alredy. Have u ever watch one of those signature races where everyone is playing duelist and ALL are using sunder + leapslam + herald of ash?

The real question is: do you have the time to even push the ladders either SSF or trade leagues. People will need to gear up first before yolo into mobs harder than shaper and we all know there are VERY cheese strategies to gear up a char. The guy who has been gearing for 16h/day will have an edge over you. If you want to "compete" on an even enviroment there are other PvP games out there that are quite balanced. I personally don't care here or in d3 about that compete factor. I know i'm alredy losing by not playing 16h/day or because i don't ahve a group of friends flippin items for me or giving 10000 buffs from their auras.

Nothing changes with this really. A lot of people in D3 cried over bots and such but i knew legit no lifers that wake up at 8 am and didn't leave speed clearing for augments/paragons until 11:00 pm every single day. The same goes for the loot hunt and people flippin items all day long for currency here.

You are better staying off that ladder unless all your life goes to PoE. And hey i respect people who choose the path of making games their lives, just don't pretend to be able to compete with them playing 4h a day and sitting in your hideout 50% of the time.

I'll set my goals and i hope GGG sets some milestones too of how deep you go for the achievements. I'll quit after i'm done with them and be satisfied.
"In this game you're just a cow being milked, not a human being entertained" - Kiss_Me_Quick
Last edited by IIPheXII on Aug 10, 2018, 7:04:04 PM
"
Don't play a shit build

Here's the thing, I_NO: some people (me included) intentionally play what you refer to as "shit builds". Why? To try new stuff. To not just use one click to clear the entire screen. Sometimes I had a LOT more fun running nothing but low tier maps with a whacky build than I had with stronger, but much more simple (read: min-maxed) builds in higher content. That's just how it works for some.
And heck, if I can't delve all that deep then who cares, I can just explore the shallow parts of the mine for all eternity.
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info