Poe already scraped the infinite dungeon ... hears why

"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
People get bored of 1 thing too. D3 is such a limited game, the grifts are fairly similar to rifts, bounties feel like a boring chore to me. Builds are so limited by the gear situation, you need this 6 piece set that then gives you 3000% increased damage and theres maybe 2 or 3 sets that work for your class so its all really confined.

In poe youre gonna have maps, guardians, shaper, elder, lab, incursions, delve, atziri, uber atziri, breach domains, the council, prophecy chains... Im sure more stuff will come, theres gonna be so much to do and you just dont get that with D3.
You nailed it.
PoE was always the game having more options (not necessarly all of them are good) and feeling less limited. Yet GGG likes to put many things on rails to get a hand on the plenty options they created. They also never do large tests (aka beta server). So they never know, if their ideas scale when being played massively.

Let's see how things turn out and hope for the best.
However, my hopes are not too high though. It depends a lot how good the new content blends into the whole thing. In past, GGG has shown that it is difficult to achieve that in PoE.
Let's explore new playstyles - Play it your own way, not just like the others.
Quality management is one of the most underrated success factors in every business...
Last edited by Synopse on Aug 12, 2018, 8:40:31 AM
I fucked up the quote part : but im responding to this

The original version of PoE had a lot more challenge and was slower paced. The Delve dungeon may bring some of that back. If it works out and ends up being part of the core game, it will give people more options for how THEY want to play their end game.

More choices means a better game IMO. There have been a lot of people asking for an infinite dungeon over the years. I'm looking forward to this next league. [/quote]

It could and i hope that you are correct . The problem with the maelstrom was that people just rushed past it to get to the loot bomb , it was scraped in favor of farming fellshire and vaal construct ... and that's saying something .

I feel that taking the current state of Poe into account the chance that pushing deep into this delve will be pointless to most in favor of speed running to the "optima" loot / exp potential position , then repeat .

If you use the greater rift system for eg. very few people push as far as they can with the character they have , 90 % of the time you farm the "easy" part of rifts for loot only it becomes a min/max loot farm that negates all risk especial on HC mode . Only G rift pushing happens when you are trying to level up gems or going for your "high score" this is the VAST minority of the time spent with that content .

Edit: qoute fuck up

Just a sec let me grab a beer...@#*@ Ok how did I die this time

Learn the rules, it's the only way to exploit them.
Last edited by SirSid on Aug 12, 2018, 12:47:02 PM
I prefer to play in daylight maps than dark, poorly lit spaces. I like seeing the details of the well designed spaces my guy is traversing.
"Gratitude is wine for the soul. Go on. Get drunk." Rumi
US Mountain Time Zone
"
ChanBalam wrote:
I prefer to play in daylight maps than dark, poorly lit spaces. I like seeing the details of the well designed spaces my guy is traversing.
This!
Let's explore new playstyles - Play it your own way, not just like the others.
Quality management is one of the most underrated success factors in every business...
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
ya for sure.

I dont think its going to be everyones thing either, people who speedclear burial chambers for doctors arnt gonna switch to this, it doesnt look like efficient content for xp or for wealth. I dont think the money makers will switch from maps and I dont think the xp racers will switch.

It looks more about challenge and exploration, people who want to go up against the hardest thing they can find just to see if they can beat it and people who like the idea of exploring a world and finding cool little hidden things.

I think it will be more popular than running lab, but still that kind of thing, and alternate activity. Some people run lab non stop, but most people dont, and its not the best xp per hour nor the best currency per hour so it will never be the main thing everyone does. Even the people who love it and want to live down there, like you say, theyre gonna have to deal with the rng of finding the materials to run it and that will mean running maps.

People get bored of 1 thing too. D3 is such a limited game, the grifts are fairly similar to rifts, bounties feel like a boring chore to me. Builds are so limited by the gear situation, you need this 6 piece set that then gives you 3000% increased damage and theres maybe 2 or 3 sets that work for your class so its all really confined.

In poe youre gonna have maps, guardians, shaper, elder, lab, incursions, delve, atziri, uber atziri, breach domains, the council, prophecy chains... Im sure more stuff will come, theres gonna be so much to do and you just dont get that with D3.

Youve got targeted div cards, elder/shaper rares, watchers eyes, shaper and elder boss drops, theres plenty of stuff thats exclusive to mapping to the point where if everyone just plays delve 24/7, the market value of those exclusive items will become so high due to rarity that running the map system will become so profitable it will drag a lot of people back.

Endless burial chambers isnt a fun idea, it becomes fun to people when it starts making them a ton of currency.

well as chris said - it's something the XP racers can consider doing once they hit 100. they are the ones most likely to have the time to push this leaderboard as well
"
ChanBalam wrote:
Let's see... 2x Nycta's Lantern, Incandescent Heart, Voll's Vision, 2x Lori's Lantern, Sunblast and Marylene's Fallacy, that'd be +202% light radius. I think that's more that 1 screen. The only thing left is to make a build which will work with all that gear :D
The effect didn't need to be darkness for it to be successful. It could have been any obscuring method at all. Any gas / smoke effect would have worked perfectly and still allowed for a well lit area. Thematically it could have been storylined as rampant uncontained magical energies or whatever. It could have been a unique ground effect or even a combination of effects. Perhaps an animated encroaching magically corrupt environment? Held off by wardstones instead of "light" against the darkness. Vines and other vegetation or even mineral formations that "grow" and expand to fill the area unless the wards are there would have allowed for a well lit environment, whether it was above ground or below. In fact, doing this would have likely allowed for more variety within the areas themselves. The different environments that already exist within the game could be freely mixed and matched with blended border edges. Barriers could then be walls, thick trees, rocky cliffs, etc. instead of limited to underground features alone.

Not that the dark theme will dissuade me from playing it, heh. Just throwing a few ideas counter to the darkness required concept out into the forum mix. ^_^
I hate Lab and everything it represents, I can tolerate low tier maps, but frankly, they put me off the game, not as much as Labs, but some. I love exploring the actual game world, finding new things and secrets and items etc. I like to play in a game world that was created to be explored and exploited.

I am super excited to see the Delve concept make it into a modern ARPG, it is long overdue. Only question that remains is whether GGG will make it compelling in the mechanics and details of exploration and exploitation.
Cheers 0/

Sibcoe
-------------
Calm down, its new. New things come and GO in POE, try it out.
Spoiler
"
SirSid wrote:
So in early development GGG had designed a infinite dungeon then decided to scrap the idea in favor of maps . More then one reason factored into this however the main reason is pretty simple . It kills build diversity along with making player expectation around character performance a huge problem .

So why it kills build diversity is pretty straight forward , you will have one goal , maximize loot / EXP for player imput . This become a min/max race and very quickly whare ONE build begins to rule them all . Now some of you may think that this is how POE functions already , and your not wrong . However what a infinite dungeon dose is makes this problem much worst and the sole direction for builds in the game .

The second Problem is player expectation . What happens when your "fun" build can't get anywhere in this dungeon ? You will feel as if you have failed , since it will also be stumped on a map tier and poor at farming bosses . This leads back to the same problem , players will gravitate towards the one build to rule them all .

This is what happens in the greater rift community in diablo 3 , you are limited to how well you do on the leader board based on what build you are running THEN how optimized the build is compared to other identical builds . In PoE however another major problem will be that unlike diablo 3 whare you can farm any gear yoy want relatively easy , in this game you will also be gated off from better gear / more EXP AND currency . Also players will not want to push themself as you might think they would as the risk/reward system will punish them , so they will fall back on speed farm builds to farm the easy part of the dungeon .

Map wher the solution to this problem and a great solution it was , however from constant crying on reddit and this forum about map pool sustain , and junkey like players deciding to farm low level content . The map system has morphed into a shitty form of greater rifts already , this dungeon is just a formality at this point and IMO a sigh that the original vision of PoE is dead and never coming back .

What do you all think ? im going to leave myself open to trying it , perhaps some mechanincs we are not aware of could help deal with some problems , however im very skeptical .

1. There will always be the best build(s) for a certain scenario(s), delve has nothing to do with it.

2. If your expectations are too high, lower it. If you're build fails, try again, and again, and again until you get better. If you are one of those players that want rewards and constant gratification, with 0 effort, then no one will change it. You will search for best builds regardless.

Unless you have a solution for a perfect balance, things will stay as they are regardless if it's delve or not.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info