[3.5]Fire&Flamethrower Traps Saboteur/ Uber elder viable!

3.5 Betrayal
Spoiler
No changes to saboteur,trap,fire trap or flmaethrower trap.Still good to go.If you haven't tried this build yet,i recommend you to try it as a league starter or boss killer.It is a reliable build which won't fail you :) The only place i'm not comfortable with is the delving.

3.4 Delve
Spoiler
Base damage from the initial explosion increased by 40%, and the base damage over time increased by 20% at all gem levels.
So fire trap received a huge buff in both initial and damage over time.But traps got nerfed overall because of cluster trap nerf(you can now throw 2 additional instead of 3 traps)I never used shaper gloves with "throw 1 additional trap" so maybe this is the time to use one and it means this build got buffed a lot.I already had ridiculously high damage with bugdet gear and my end game gear is even cheap(less than 5exa) and cleared everything including uber elder.
TL&DR
Use rare shaper gloves with "throw 1 additional trap trap" and play mind over matter version.

Intro
Hello,I’ve been playing PoE since perandus league and been creating my own builds for quite some time.I wanted to share this one with you because there isn’t much love out there for fire and flamethrower traps.Hope they can catch some attention.I apologise for any possible grammer mistakes.(English isn’t my native language.)

Build summary

This build focuses on using both fire traps and flamethrower traps depending on the situation.Fire trap is a strong map clearer and also kills bosses with ease up to tier 16 guardians where we also get help from flamethrower traps to burn them within seconds.You can actually kill everyhing including Shaper without flamethrower traps but they are just too powerful so you wouldn’t want to miss the fun.This build is capable of clearing every end game content deathless including Uber Elder if you know what you are doing.I died once in Uber Elder because of blink arrow pathing bug so don’t count that :)
If you are worried that this build might be expensive to achieve such high damage numbers,let me ease your mind,you can clear everything on the atlas with budget gear.And even my end game gear isn’t expensive.I’ll talk about that in the gear section.Let’s move on.

Videos
Spoiler

All videos were recorded deathless except Uber Elder where i died once because of blink arrow bug.Note that some maps have damage,crit,extra life,vulnerability curse mods and see how the build performs in different situations.
Uber elder
Shaper
Forge of the Phoenix
Pit of the Chimera
Maze of the Minotaur
Lair of the Hydra

Pros & Cons
Spoiler

+You can do everything with budget gear and 5-links.
+Can one-shot elites&beyond bosses with fire trap in even %40+ life or +% resistance modded red maps.(Unless you are unlucky with crits.)
+Can kill tier 16 guardians and pushes shaper to next phase in couple of seconds.
+Can do every map modes but some are dangerous.(I will explain later.)
+Watching flamethrowers burn everything to ashes makes you feel like a pyromaniac :)

-Physical mitigation is low due to being a dodge character.
-You can’t tank everything and need to learn your character’s limits.
-It takes some time to get used to the playstyle.
-Isn’t fast as an arc trapper for mapping.

Defenses
Spoiler

-5500+ hp
-%40 attack dodge
-%42 spell dodge(with rare boots)
-%18 evasion(can be higher depending on your gear and flasks)
-Ignite and shock immune
-Blind nearby enemies (lowers enemies’ hit and critical chance)
-Up to %20 life regen if you keep using traps in the past 4 seconds(I have 1193 life regen)
-%10 elemental damage reduction with the Wise Oak flask if you balance your resists.
-+%4 to max resist of an element depending on your Watcher’s Eye choice.

Flashback League
Spoiler

-Do you want to participate in the race and play as a trapper?
-Do you want your first character to level easily without leveling gear?
-Do you want to complete maps in atlas with budget gear?
-Do you want to level to 95 and test your luck in winning some cool armor sets?
Then this build is for you!

My gear in flashback
Spoiler

(06.08.2018)-I completed 90 maps including normal atziri.Damage is good even with increased area effect as 6th link.I will change that with fire penetration for pushing lvl 95.But if you are planning on doing yellow maps then you can stick with increased area effect.
Make sure you have mana flask until you have enough regen then switch that with atziri's promise for chaos res against incursion mobs mostly.I will probably stick with the shield i have cause of chaos res.It helps a lot with incursion mobs.So try getting at least 1 piece with chaos resist.

First of all if you are unfamiliar with the build then you should read the rest of the guide because i'm not gonna explain everything here.I will only mention some key points here.

I'm also planning on starting with this guy so i will keep this section updated during flashback league.I prepared a separate pastebin with easy to acquire items and a solid talent tree for pure mapping,leveling purposes.There isn't really a big difference that isn't written in this guide but i mixed some of the stuff so i made a separate one.

The biggest difference is i chose to play with dagger+shield for faster mapping and level faster to 95.Since we don't need 6-link flamethrower for mapping,we use 6-link fire trap on our body armour and a 4-link flamethrower on a boot,helmet or gloves.If you can find a shaper/elder piece then your flamethrower trap can have additional gem.The main purpose for flamethrower trap is to control breaches,bursting essence mobs and help with some map bosses with more than one boss.(like racecourse,graveyard etc.)

We are also getting mind over matter compared to my boss killing version,and also getting aoe nodes that i mentioned in mapping build section.We have 30 radius(compared to 23 radius) on fire trap,a dagger with at least 1.6aps(attack per second),a shield for some block chance.

About gems and flask options;
Fire trap-Trap and Mine Damage-Cluster Traps-Combustion-Increase Area Effect-Controlled Destruction
If you think damage is enough,it is possible to switch controlled destruction with inc crit strikes and replace diamond flask with quartz or another defensive one.

TLDR
Spoiler

To summarize;
-Faster mapper
-Fire trap has bigger radius(aoe)
-Mind over matter
-Block chance against attacks

-Less damage
-No 6-link for flamethrower traps
-No cooldown reduction for flamethrower traps

For mapping purposes and leveling to 95,that less damage doesn't mean anything actually.You won't notice the damage loss and you can still one shot most of the monsters.The only difference will be on tanky elites and map bosses.They will only last an additional 1-2 seconds so no big deal.

Map recommendations to level 95
Spoiler

If you want to level fast,you should pick a map and sustain it.You aren't probably going for elder orb to block maps so your choice is shaped maps.

You want to pick a map where you can shield charge without getting stuck,where you have enough room to dodge things,and mobs shouldn't come from your back.

Maps that i like and find worthy of doing;
Yellow maps are safer,requires less currency investment and has some decent card drops so you can check them out.If you want more exp and don't care about the extra money then go for red maps.
-T9 Shaped volcano:Slower leveling to 95,layout isn't that great compared to other options,you can get stuck to objects while charging,only benefit is card drops.(The king's heart and pride before the fall)Unless you want the extra money then pass this one.
-T9 Shaped courthouse:Slower leveling to 95,mobs are grouped in rooms so easy clear,has three bosses so higher chance to get maps,you can vaal maps for more juice and more gains,"Undaunted" card drop for extra money or turn them in and maybe you will get headhunter.
-T10 Shaped channel:Open layout,easy to charge around,mobs always on one side,"Humility" card drop for some extra money.
-T11 Shaped Underground Sea:Good exp,mobs are grouped up,shield charging sometimes doesn't feel good and there are stairs/ledges for you to get stuck,"The Survivalist" card drop to sustain orb of alchemy.
-T12 Shaped Dunes:Open layout,nice for shield charging,you should stick to corners and then clear middle or mobs will come from every side.No worthy card drops.Boss can be deadly depending on mods so skip him.
-T13 Shaped Shore:Open layout,boss is easy,just side step to avoid spectral throw.No worthy card drops.Who doesn't like sun and the beach :)

Pastebin for flashback league
Spoiler
https://pastebin.com/ueDTSzWd

Gear (My gear and other recommendations)
Spoiler

My gear in incursion league
Spoiler

Gear explanation and other recommendations
Spoiler

Weapon&Off hand
Spoiler

I used bow+quiver and you may ask why i didn’t pick dagger+shield.First off all bow+quiver choice is very cheap.You need to spend couple of exalteds to reach the same dps with dagger+shield.Second and more important reason is there isn’t any good choice to link your fire trap to anywhere else which means you can’t reach the same dps as mine.You can try some shaper or essence of horror helms but they don’t even have similar damage numbers and you can’t find the correct lab enchant on those.
The only logical reason to use dagger+shield is you can map faster and get fortify,but you need to dump flamethrower to somewhere else and 6-link your fire trap to your chest.Which makes this character a faster mapper but worse end game boss killer.
Weapon choice depends on your reason to play this build so make your own choice and play the way you want it.

Buy a 6-linked non corrupted bow with at least 50 item level or buy “The Porcupine” cards to get your bow yourself.Craft it with essence of woe and if you are lucky you can even get “+1 socketed gems”.It’s a very rare prefix so good luck with that.Note that i didn’t have that on my build which means you can even reach higher dps. Make sure you have an open suffix to craft critical multi from Tora(lvl 5) for your bow.
For quiver you want to buy a spike point quiver for critical chance and search one with global crit chance,crit multi,80+ life and some resists if you need.
If you want to try dagger and shield,you can get a cheap dagger with increased trap damage in incursion league and try finding some crit chance for spells,spell damage,flat fire damage,crit multi.For your shield if you want to wear a rare one,look for spell damage,fire damage,crit chance for spells.But i’m telling you again,this option isn’t the one i played and it is expensive at the cost of losing fire trap or flamethrower trap 6-link.
Helm
If you have the money,the first thing you want on your helm is the flamethrower enchant.I bought mine around 50c.You can buy a normal one and craft it yourself,it’s very easy and cheap to craft.The only stats you want are health(90+) and resists.If you are lucky,you can find a helm like mine with “% of physical damage from hits taken as x damage”
Body Armour
This is the only expensive piece in this build.There are lots of options for this one.I started the league with a tabula and cleared up to tier 13-14s with that.Then i crafted my chest myself.If you don’t want to spend money on crafting,you can check the other options.Shaper rare chest gives the most dps but you can pick tinkerskin for more healing(might be good) and less cd on flamethrower traps(which you don’t need) or pick loreweave for better elemental resists.
If you are interested in crafting your own chest,buy a shaper(ilvl 84+) evasion/es hybrid body armour for easy coloring.Then chaos spam it until you hit tier 1“spells have +x% to critical chance”.My chest has tier 2 spell crit but i luckily hit “+1 to active gems” which gives more dps so i stick with it.Do NOT try to get both of those mods like mine,it is very unlikely you will get it.Just stick with a tier 1 spell crit and you are good to go.And of course you need life on your chest so good luck with that.

Gloves
I’m using the new “Slavedriver’s Hand” that is exclusive to the incursion league.By using these gloves,you don’t need mana at all which is a problem in many of the trap builds.Because we don’t need mana,we can use 3 buffs(anger,herald of ash,purity of your choice)which is very nice.And we get some increased area effect,%10 chance to get power,endurance,frenzy charges when traps are triggered.
Boots
I’m using rare boots with new mode “%12 chance to dodge spell hits” that is also exclusive to incursion league.This boosts our survival against spell damage a lot so try getting one of these.If you need to put resists on these,they become very expensive so try capping your resists elsewhere if you don’t have lots of currency.The stats you are looking for are life(70+),%30movement speed,11-12%spell dodge and finally resistances.
Rings
Very simple rings with life(70+),resists,str or dex if you need and finally if you can find one,look for %increased fire damage.Diamond and opal rings are good for increasing our damage.
Amulet
Mine is very cheap(About 5 chaos).The only thing you want is %30+ crit multi,lots of life(total 80+),crit chance(or open suffix so you craft yours) and maybe stats and resistances.
Belt
Buy a stygian vise for abyss socket so we can get some damage from our belt.Put 80+life,resistances and some flask stuff(%reduced flask charges used,%increased flask effect duration).You can even use darkness enthroned if you don’t want flask mods and if you have good jewels.
https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Darkness_Enthroned
Jewels

-%increased maximum life/+ to maximum life
-crit multi for spells/elemental skills/fire skills or global crit multi
-adds fire damage to spells/ adds fire damage to spells while wielding a two handed weapon(for bow)
For watcher’s eye the cheap option is “+% crit multi while affected by anger”,the expensive option is the fire penetration one with anger.But it gets more expensive if you look for “% of physical damage taken as x damage while affected by purity of x”(x is for fire,cold(ice) or lightning) so i recommend buying one with crit multi cause it is way cheaper(around 50c) and gets the job done.Mine has purity of lightning.If you can find one with purift of ice,it can be better for uber elder farming so good luck with that.

Gem links
Spoiler

6-link bow: Fire Trap- Trap and Mine Damage- Cluster Traps- Combustion- Controlled Destruction- Fire Penetration
Fire penetration is your 6th link.Replace fire penetration with increased area effect if you are doing the mapper build.So you need blue instead of red socket.

6-link body armour: Flamethrower Trap- Trap and Mine Damage- Increased Critical Strikes- Elemental Focus- Concentrated Effect- Fire Penetration
Increased critical strikes should be your 6th link.Level 4 empower actually gives way more dps than increased critical strikes but i wanted to keep the build as cheap as possible.If you have the money you can try it.

4-link: Blink Arrow- Faster Attacks- Blood Magic-gem of your choice
I used portal.

4-link: Bear Trap- Cast When Damage Takent(lvl1)- Immortal Call(lvl1)- Increased Duration
Level your bear trap so it doesn’t stuck on the cwdt setup.

4-link: Herald of Ash- Anger- Purity of Lightning- Enlighten(lvl3)
First of all if you don't have watcher's eye or lvl 3 enlighten yet,use arctic armour as your 3rd buff.Purity depends on your watcher’s eye so coloring may change.You need level 3 enlighten and the %4 reserve reduction node on talent tree to use all 3 buffs.

Flasks
Spoiler

1. Life flask with staunching(to clear bleeding).Divine life flask is better for instant recovery and instant recovery saves you from low life situations.Eternal life is better for overall healing.
2. Diamond flask with freeze or curse immunity.Put the other immunity to 5th flask slot.

3. Quicksilver flask with increased movement speed during effect mod for more speed.

4. The Wise Oak or Atziri’s Promise
Make sure you have all your overcapped resistances balanced means you will have something like %85(just an example) written in the parantheses for all your resistances except chaos.If you can’t balance your resistances make sure you have fire resistance highest so you get the penetration.
If you aren’t planning on doing guardians,shaper and uber elder,you can pass wise oak and use Atziri’s Promise.
5. Basalt Flask/Quartz Flask/Jade Flask (I used basalt because we need physical mitigation.We already have lots of dodge.)

Talent Tree
Spoiler

My tree
Spoiler

Other options
Spoiler

- Mind over matter
You can add some mana nodes by not taking jewels or some damage nodes.It’s up to you and your level.You may want to replace slavedriver’s hand because you can spend mana now.It’s your choice to build around what you want.

- MoM Mapper
This build has more AoE radius for your traps so it’s a better mapper.Put intuitive leap jewel to the middle upper jewel socket(upper side of witch) and pick instability,alchemist,blast radius.You can replace “fire penetration” with “increased area effect” gem for your fire trap if you are doing low tier maps.

https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Intuitive_Leap

Bandit & Pantheons
Spoiler

Help alira for easier resist cap and more dps.If your plan is to do mapping mostly,you can kill all and take 2 skill points.
For pantheons i don’t think there is only one option of each category.
Major
Soul of Brine King->If you can’t position yourself well enough and get hit a lot,this might save you because we aren’t stun immune.
Soul of Lunaris->This is the one i used for everything.
Soul of Solaris->Mainly for bossing purposes and maps with critical chance mod.

Minor
Soul of Gruthkul->Some physical mitigation for mapping.
Soul of Yugul->Upgraded version can be used for uber elder.
Soul of Shakari->If you are low on chaos resist and also want to be poison immune.

Ascendancy
Spoiler

Normal lab:Perfect crime
Cruel lab:Chain reaction
Merciless lab:Born in the shadows
Uber lab:Pyromaniac

Enchantments
Spoiler

Gloves:I don’t think any of the enchants worth your time so i don’t use any.If you know something useful,go for it.
Boots
“x% increased critical chance if you haven’t crit recently” This is active all the time because we aren’t hitting with anything and traps don’t count.
“Damage penetrates x% of enemy elemental resistances if you haven’t killed recently”Good for guardians,shaper,uber elder.
Helmet
“Flamethrower trap has 2 additional traps.”This is the one i’m using.I haven’t tested the others but this seems the best for dps.
Other options are;
“Flamethrower trap has 12% increased cast speed”->Makes flamethrowers rotate faster.
“Flamethrower trap has 15% increased Cooldown Recovery Speed”->0,55 reduced cooldown.
“Flamethrower trap deals 40% increased Damage”->Some damage.
“Flamethrower trap has 30% increased Skill Effect Duration”->Stays 1,05 seconds longer.

Pastebin

Leveling tips
Spoiler

I made seperate talent trees so follow them by order and make some changes if you know what you are doing.

For skills start with explosive trap and get fire trap as soon as it is available.Shadow has access to all trap gems so you don’t need to trade with other people.You don’t have to use flamethrower trap while leveling because it may be hard to link it somewhere especially at league start.Fire trap has enough damage to finish all the quests and prepares you to maps.

For unique items you can use wanderlust boots,doedre’s tenure gloves,lifesprig wands then into axiom perpetuum,goldrim helmet and elreon jewelery with “- mana cost to skills”.Replace boots and gloves after level 40-50 and get rare ones with life and resist.

Mana cost might be a problem especially at league start so don’t try to use every buff while leveling.Just pick anger or herald of ash and use mana flask.Once you get slavedriver’s hands you can activate the rest of the buffs.

Possible questions you might ask
Spoiler

-Is this build hardcore viable?
You can try with my current setup but i don’t recommend it. By using loreweave and mind over matter talent tree,it should be better for hardcore players.

-Which map modes should i avoid?
If you are playing softcore and aren’t pushing beyond level 95 or so,these don’t matter much.But if you are a player like me who don’t want to die a lot or playing hardcore then you should be careful with these mods.
Dodge chance is unlucky,- max resists,no regen(we dont use mana but it blocks our heal from saboteur ascendancy),more than two damage mods at the same time and monster have critical chance&multi
-Can i kill guardians and shaper with 5-link?
Yes you can.
Why is my boss killing slower than yours?
-Make sure you have your gems 20lvl 20quality and always throw a fire trap before throwing flamethrowers because you need to burn the target for extra damage.

Contact me here or in game for any questions.
My ign&meme
Spoiler

My ign is HansGetZheFlammenwerfer.It’s a reference to the internet meme hans.
Spoiler

Last edited by soulsofblack93 on Dec 5, 2018, 2:52:27 AM
Last bumped on Dec 8, 2018, 9:04:46 PM
04.07.2018-Added additional information to some parts.
Last edited by soulsofblack93 on Jul 4, 2018, 4:11:51 AM
Thx for nice and clear guide! Now farming red maps, getting lvls to go clear end-game bosses. It may feel a bit squishy at first,but you just need to get lvls and hp on your gear,and get used to trap gameplay,not trying to facetank. Personally i can recommend using at least 5l tinkerskin while lvling cause it helps a lot,especially before you get pyromaniac from lab. Cheers!
Also for mapping i tried using cheap yellow dagger and Kongming's Stratagem,that i bought for 1 fusing,and it is kinda faster with shield charge,and fire trap damage is enough

Last edited by knehtq on Jul 4, 2018, 9:59:10 PM
Hi, how does your build compare to dagger or scepter? Does plus 3 to fire gems give more overall dps?

Thank you!
"
Sidhuraj wrote:
Hi, how does your build compare to dagger or scepter? Does plus 3 to fire gems give more overall dps?

Thank you!

Hello!You can of course play with 1h+shield,more survival thanks to block,shield charging through the map results in faster mapping.However you can't have 2 6-links but it isn't really necessary for mapping purposes.A 6-link fire trap on your body armour is enough to clear everything including shaper and red elder.If you think you can do with a 4-link flamethrower then go ahead.(or you can use elder,shaper helm and do 5-link)
For your second question,gem level is a very big damage boost for spell builds so any kind of +x gems are good.(Level 4 empower beats inc critical strikes so +3 gem is better then some gems)
Last edited by soulsofblack93 on Jul 16, 2018, 5:12:37 AM
21.07.2018-Added section for upcoming flashback league.
Updated section with flashback league.Let's show some love to fire-flamethrower traps in flashback league :)
Kill Alira or Help Alira?
"
ludicurous wrote:
Kill Alira or Help Alira?

Help her.I just noticed i made a typing mistake in the bandit section :) Gonna fix it.
Fixed the broken skill trees and updated pastebin links.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info