The "Use these devices" challenges are broken

After spending over two weeks trying to finish this challenge, the remaining challenge being the gem room, i can only conclude that it is broken. Over the past two days, I've spent over 20 hours in quarry, with less than 10 minutes each temple, to try and farm that last remaining challenge.
Yet, i am no closer to finishing it than when i started.
Its not challenging. Its not fun. Its fucking bullshit layered rng that can take anywhere from 10 minutes to several months and is frustrating beyond belief.

Please fix this, i feel like i am wasting my time right now.

Change it to something that doesn't requires you to be lucky.
Current IGN: Hunt
Last edited by Noob on Jul 1, 2018, 6:16:50 AM
Last bumped on Aug 3, 2018, 10:08:01 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Did you do the thing that the challenge asked you to do? If so, did you not get credit for completion?

If not, then they are not broken. They might be challenging, but they are working as intended.
"
Abdiel_Kavash wrote:
Did you do the thing that the challenge asked you to do? If so, did you not get credit for completion?

If not, then they are not broken. They might be challenging, but they are working as intended.

The thing is, there is a big difference between something being challenging, and something being outright random.

Its like saying its challenging to play the lottery. Its not.

Killing uber elder can be considered a challenge. Killing him 20 times, sure thats a challenge too. Thats something you can work towards, with this, i can just beat my head against a wall thousands of times without seeing any progress.

/e: While this'll probably be buried and ignored, an elegant way to fix it, would be to have a device in one of the new rooms and include that in the challenge, making it use 9 out of XX devices, as that would allow people who already have the challenge to keep it,
Last edited by Noob on Jul 1, 2018, 8:46:39 AM
I agree. This is the most anti-fun challenge yet.

Complete the Bestiary was bad too, but at least it had a release valve: you could buy the captures.

Nothing can mitigate this one.
"
Abdiel_Kavash wrote:
They might be challenging

No, it's NOT challenging. You might do with a dictionary. A challenge explicitly tests someone's own abilities. And contrary to the running gag, "RNG" isn't an attribute we have.

To be challenging, it'd be able to sort players on some sort of measurable ability. The better it sorted players, the more challenging it is.

So by definition, most of the game's Challenges aren't even challenging in the slightest. It's any mix of RNG and time played, which is a variable utterly independent of a player's ability at the game. It's just some of them are far more reliant on RNG and/or time than others.

Even most of the "Endgame grinds" is at least a bit challenging, since it calls for a player to CONSISTENTLY do a task at all: If you're someone that always has to beg for an uber lab carry, could never succeed at a breachstone, etc., you're not going to succeed at that. And most players actually can't do the game's endgame content.

The devices challenge, on the other hand, is pure RNG, stacked: you pull the slot machine lever hoping a given temple will give you a chance to give you a tier III corruption room (maybe 1/15 odds given you can typically get 1-2 Tier IIIs per temple? Very high standard deviation on the distrubtion, though) and THEN you get to pull another slot machine lever AGAIN and pray for it to give you one of the results you still need. (1/4 chance each pull)

So we wind up with a 1/60 chance to get each of the results... That's 60 runs of the Temple, or 660 maps. And then we toss in that whole "very high standard deviation" bit.

In other words, there's no test of ability. Just a lot of praying to RNGesus.
Rufalius, hybrid Aura/Arc/Mana Guardian | Hemorae, TS Raider | Wuru, Ele Hit Wand Trickster
This is a deliberate design decision by GGG to artificially keep people playing. You haven't given up yet so they've succeeded. Expect at least a few of these every league.
"
Hemmingfish wrote:
This is a deliberate design decision by GGG to artificially keep people playing. You haven't given up yet so they've succeeded. Expect at least a few of these every league.

Actually, i did give up, atleast until they change this challenge, because apparently im not lucky enough to be able to get 40/40.

That only leaves a bad taste, and a dislike for GGG and how they handles challenges.

Its extremely frustrating to spend so many hours, only to have nothing to show for it.
We have over half the league left... just play. You'll get it. Trying to force it by running low level areas isn't needed.
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
We have over half the league left... just play. You'll get it. Trying to force it by running low level areas isn't needed.

The thing is, im already done with the league. I'd gladly vendor all my gear if that meant i'd get the challenge, but the amount of temples i have to clear to get it, is just ridiculous.
"
Shagsbeard wrote:

There's something wrong when we're being asked to "keep playing" when we might have everything else done, and then go SEVERAL TIMES AS FAR for just one more challenge.

And the challenges were NEVER meant as "complete these and take all 90 days to do it." If it was, it'd be even more hostile to the non-obsessive players who might not be ready and present on Day 1.

Believe me, the game feels VASTLY different when you start pushing to the extreme edge compared to the "normal endgame."
Rufalius, hybrid Aura/Arc/Mana Guardian | Hemorae, TS Raider | Wuru, Ele Hit Wand Trickster

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info