POE, will NOW start to become an even better and proper game (sorry old donors)

A shot at "old donors," claiming (of all things) they've been holding the game back, from a person who joined 6 months ago...talk about misguided.

When GGG expressed their vision for an ARPG many of us put our money in their hands (kickstarter, supporter packs, etc.)and they delivered the game you play today.

This change to Tencent ownership doesn't mean everything (or anything) will change with development, but it does signal to me that I don't need to "support" this game in the same grassroots way going forward. I've got more tabs than I need and tons of MTX I never use; pricing will need to be revised on a lot of this stuff if they intend to reap regular revenue going forward.
"
morbo wrote:
I think OP got it wrong. This game is still based on donation, aka "good will" to finance itself. Becoming an arrogant "we don't give a fk about what the players think", is the opposite of what will achieve monetization.

yep

"
Shagsbeard wrote:
GGG has gone from a company depending on the support of its customers to a company dependent on the support of it's corporation. That's a huge shift.

no, thats not really whats happened. Its gone from GGG depending on the support of its customers to Tencent depending on the support of its customers. Tencent do not support this game, they own it and expect to make profit from us supporting it the same way the GGG share holders were making profit before. Tencent are not here to feed the game money to keep it going, they paid off chris to get the rights to the profits from us, the supporters, continuing to feed the game money.

I dont understand why people think tencent are here to pay for us to play the game now, they have not taken over the role of the supporters, theyre not here to pay chris and co to make poe so that we can play it.
I presume nobody here has bought or usually buys aspirin.
I understand the odd situation and I agree with those who were bothered by the way ggg has dealt the communication, but all these rhetorical speeches about evil corp seem a bit of a stretch.
Last edited by ForteBraccio on May 22, 2018, 4:20:20 PM
"
ForteBraccio wrote:
I understand the odd situation and I agree with those who were bothered by the way ggg has dealt the communication, but all these rhetorical speech about evil corp seem a bit of a stretch.

why would I buy aspirin when its pretty much useless
I dont see any any key!
"
k1rage wrote:
"
ForteBraccio wrote:
I understand the odd situation and I agree with those who were bothered by the way ggg has dealt the communication, but all these rhetorical speech about evil corp seem a bit of a stretch.

why would I buy aspirin when its pretty much useless

Bravo!
"
tubsi wrote:

GGG is now a primarily Chinese owned developer with an ancillary NZ address. With 80% of profits going to China, I'll stop tendering money to their NZ subsidiary. Not because I dislike the game, or really their gaining a major wallet investor... except that it's Chinese and, not let's say North Korea.

So, until the loot boxes start falling like wisdom scrolls (with an autoloot feature only for loot boxes, and they cannot be destroyed/dropped, and can only be unlocked for by keys that are $1/ea) I'll keep playing and enjoying the game for what it is, but my monetary support (of a Chinese company) is withdrawn.
Patch Notes 3.15:
Fixed a bug where players believed the game was playable. This has been corrected and made retroactive.
Patch Notes 3.19:
Fixed a bug where players adapted to 3.15. This bug cannot be corrected, so we have implemented a 90% reduction in item access as a punishment.
"
BlaqWolf wrote:
"
tubsi wrote:

GGG is now a primarily Chinese owned developer with an ancillary NZ address. With 80% of profits going to China, I'll stop tendering money to their NZ subsidiary. Not because I dislike the game, or really their gaining a major wallet investor... except that it's Chinese and, not let's say North Korea.

So, until the loot boxes start falling like wisdom scrolls (with an autoloot feature only for loot boxes, and they cannot be destroyed/dropped, and can only be unlocked for by keys that are $1/ea) I'll keep playing and enjoying the game for what it is, but my monetary support (of a Chinese company) is withdrawn.

same here

Ill play but ill nolonger pay
I dont see any any key!
'With Tencent cash flow and investment

GGG developers are now free to work on the game and truly use their skills to make path of exile even better and a proper game'.

Good one.
:D

You're all doomed.
"
BacktoHell wrote:
'With Tencent cash flow and investment

GGG developers are now free to work on the game and truly use their skills to make path of exile even better and a proper game'.

Good one.
:D

You're all doomed.

I dont see any any key!
See, the issue, and the question are: Which way is the cash going to flow?

You're assuming that Tencent is going to be pushing cash into GGG.

I suspect it's going to be the other way around. GGG is going to be sending (most of) their profits (beyond operating expenses) to Tencent.

Yes, having a corporate parent who has deep pockets does mean that your expense sheet looks a little smoother if you have periodic fluctuations in your income, and yes, it may also be possible to get beneficial loan rates when you want to do a big long term development project.

But ultimately, Tencent expects to MAKE money on this deal. That means cash flowing from GGG to Tencent, not the other way around.

And that's the issue that worries a lot of us, because Tencent does some things in China that could be considered questionable with regard to personal freedom. To put it mildly, some of us feel uncomfortable supporting that.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand.' He faltered and leaned heavily on his staff. 'What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.'

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info