[3.2] Indigon Scorching Ray Totem - All Content Viable - Uber Elder down

I've taken the build all the way through to T16 Guardians and been fairly successful. Deathless all the way, too. Red Elder I got down as well.

I did 2 rooms of the Hall of Grandmasters, but was obliterated in all the other rooms because of the build's real Achilles Heel so to speak, in that anything that does large burst damage or any real intense damage will just destroy your totems in a fraction of a second, leaving you unable to damage anything because you'll get DPS'd to nothing just endlessly re-casting them, no matter how fast your ability is to re-cast them.

Apart from that though, the build is fairly solid.

Playstyle and damage/defense-wise, this is pretty much a faster moving and more powerful/mobile Summon Burning Spectres type build, only it lacks the ability to have magic find gear or the tankyness of the zombies absorbing the DPS. Technically the build has the ability to ramp up and do way WAY more damage in comparison, but the totems just have no life against anything like bosses that hit hard and will frustrate you by constantly getting wiped out & needing to re-cast them. Unlike a SBSpectres build where their totems just don't seem to ever get killed off. The time it then takes to ramp-up the damage after re-casting them, you'll get killed and then the totems will get wiped out again. I do have to say though - this is primarily against Abyss monsters, T15/16 bosses, Elder/Shaper and Hall of Grandmasters enemies - you likely won't have this issue ever up until this end-game content.

I have to say though, overall this has been a good new build to try and it's the first build ever I've managed to even take down even one room of the Grand Masters with. But in it's current form I have to say it's just not worth the cost if you don't already have a decent amount of the required gear.

Thanks for the build OP and all the best with continuing to shape this into an improved version of it's current self.
I haven't gone through the differences between the builds but this guy has a video of HOGM where he specifically specced to scorching ray from his usual indigon GC totem build. He even has a call out to this build so it's probably worth a watch.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2129884
I've done 3 or 4 HotGM at this point. It's really the only place where I've experienced totems dying a ton. That and chain or multiproj maps with titty bitches. I meant to try switching the cast speed nodes for totem life/resistance nodes but I never actually got around to trying it, might be worth a shot.

HotGM is a pain depending on your rng for which exiles spawn in which groups. Late pack CA exiles can be nearly impossible for totem builds to kill. Some runs I breeze through it without a care in the world, others it takes me 2 minutes to down one CA exile at the end of a room <_<.

The only tip I have is try to spread your totems out evenly so the exiles are less likely to instagib them all.

Oh, and on the final pack in a room you can just spam totems out at the foot of the staircase and SR length will hit the exiles most of the time. This way you can just inch up your totems while being at a very safe range.
Last edited by nasirabtw on Apr 17, 2018, 10:13:47 AM
So it looks like I had a few problems. Without kaoms roots, you really need soul of the brine King. I was being stunned much more than I realized, which was causing deaths/lower DPS. I also switched totem nodes to life/resists instead of cast speed. They die less often now but it's still a pretty big issue. Final problem is lack of multiple fevered mind jewels. My DPS is taking way too long to ramp up.
There's a trick that can be useful. Link Arctic armour with a spell totem, both level 1, it use almost all your mana so your ramp up is done with one cast. If you got auras, you can add enlighten and reduced mana to lower the required amount of mana of this awkard totem
"
DrWafer wrote:
Final problem is lack of multiple fevered mind jewels. My DPS is taking way too long to ramp up.

You can craft Fevered Mind jewels by applying a vaal orb to ANY "ilvl" cobalt jewel at all. I bought 31 vaal orb's for 20c, then purchased 31 garbage low "ilvl" cobalt jewels from poe.trade for a jewelers orb each. The final result for me was 4 Fevered Jewels in 31 vaal orb attempts. I sold the lowest rolled of them (it had a shitty 20% inc spell damage roll on it) for 75 chaos.

I've since done the process again twice over and sold 7 more of them for between 70c and 1Ex, for a rough 500 chaos profit (after costs), as i realised it was ridiculously easy money & just undercut all the listed prices by 10c.
"
Lhansk wrote:
There's a trick that can be useful. Link Arctic armour with a spell totem, both level 1, it use almost all your mana so your ramp up is done with one cast. If you got auras, you can add enlighten and reduced mana to lower the required amount of mana of this awkard totem

Would that take away one of you main Scorch Ray totems though, due to there being a limit on how many totems you can put out?
I think that if you keep casting SR totems the 4th one will replace the arctic one.
"
Adambjjoz wrote:

You can craft Fevered Mind jewels by applying a vaal orb to ANY "ilvl" cobalt jewel at all. I bought 31 vaal orb's for 20c, then purchased 31 garbage low "ilvl" cobalt jewels from poe.trade for a jewelers orb each. The final result for me was 4 Fevered Jewels in 31 vaal orb attempts. I sold the lowest rolled of them (it had a shitty 20% inc spell damage roll on it) for 75 chaos.

I've since done the process again twice over and sold 7 more of them for between 70c and 1Ex, for a rough 500 chaos profit (after costs), as i realised it was ridiculously easy money & just undercut all the listed prices by 10c.

Dang you just saved me a lot of money. I paid 80 chaos for my first fevered mind yesterday. Hopefully your numbers aren't too fluky.

You are a god, my man.
Last edited by aCixx on Apr 18, 2018, 11:30:18 AM
now vaal orbs are 10:16c lol

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info