Poet's Way. T H I C C Poet's Pen Boss Killer

This is a guide on one of the builds i was playing during 3.2 Bestiary League. It was planned as a boss killer, specifically for Uber Elder. I like the sustain and tankiness of Juggernaut, but i don't like RF/Bladeflurry so i ended up making Poet's Pen Jugg.

Pros:

-Very tanky
-High sustain
-HC/T16/Shaper/Uber Elder viable
-not RF
-can clear maps pretty fast with Body Swap

Cons:
-can't do ele reflect maps
-can't do no regen maps if you don't have Watchers Eye(expensive) or other source of leech
-uses jewels/items similar to RF(expensive)

Gameplay:
Boss Kill Compilation (all Shaper/Elder guardians and Uber Elder)
All done in one go. I'd like to keep it unedited, but 45 minute video was too much :D

My twitch channel

3.6 UPDATE
Poet's Pen nerf hits pretty hard. One thing i don't know, that should be tested is how poet's pen would work with Barrage. Potentially switching to it from Frenzy is all it takes.
Otherwise there is room to fit attack speed in this build, but it might be too much investment. Here is an example. Insanity gloves are pretty much mandatory. Still viable, but weaker and harder to get going. If you are already playing this build - you can make it work, but if you are just thinking of starting - i would wait for feedback from those who are already playing it or look for a different build.

PoB Starter/Budget Option (10-15ex)

PoB LVL 97
- 10k HP
- over 1mil Shaper DPS
- 1.9k regen
- 9 endurance charges
Bandits: kill all
Pantheon: Arakaali/Solaris + Shakari/Yugul. I used Arakaali+Shakari all the way in gameplay video.

Core Unique Items:

Even though you only need 2xPoet's Pen to start a build and eventually Devoto's to fix DEX problems - Kaom's Heart and Way are just too good to not add them to core items.

My gear, links, other options, some mechanics

Weapons:

Put in Body Swap with Unearth if you like. In some maps it's great, in others - not so much. Otherwise use Combustion.

Armor:

Budget option: rare chest or Belly of the Beast

Helmet:

Dex+MS+IAS. Enchant is BIG, get it. Starkonja's Head or rare helmet with DEX also works, specially if you are planning to use Body Swap to move around. GMP can be swapped for Culling Strike.

Gloves:

Dex, life, attack speed(if you need). Purity of Ice is nice for Uber Elder as cold damage is the only thing that can kill this build during that fight and helps with resists. You do need lvl4 Enlighten to be able to run it with Anger and Herald of Ash. I was using Repentance gloves(and Astramentis) for some time as well - it was pretty ok, but decided to switch off.

Boots:

I went with Bubonics, but Death's Door, Kaom's Roots or rare boots will work very well. Swap to Kaom's Roots for Uber Elder fight.

Belt:

Cooldown recovery is really nice, but not mandatory. Use rare belt with resists or Flow Untethered
Life recovery rate + cooldown recovery rate. Amazing belt if you can fit it in. Doryani's Invitation is also an extremely nice belt giving some leech, damage and resists.
Note that balancing attack speed with your cool down time is important and does not work the way you would expect. If you have base cool down time of 0.25sec you attack time can't go lower than 0.27(not 0.25) or you will start skipping every third cast of Volatile Dead. I'm not sure what is causing this, might be server ticks, but keep track of that. You want your attack time higher and as close to cool down time as possible, as long as you don't skip any casts. With 20% CDR (0.21 cool down) you can't go below 0.23 attack time. I don't know if this has something to do with latency or anything, so check yourself.

Rings:

A lot of phys mitigation and regen, some AOE and damage with ascendancy. If can't afford - use rare rings with life/res/damage or even Kaom's Sign.

Amulet:

Good stats, not mandatory. Use rare amulet or Ngamahu Tiki on a budget. Elder amulet with fire leech could be really good too, specially if you can't afford Watcher's Eye.

Flasks:

I'll be honest - i slapped on more or less random flasks at some point and never cared enough to switch them, so adjust to your needs.

Jewels:

Life/Res/Damage. Pretty expensive. Can get some cheaper with spell damage, but that's not optimal. Try to craft some yourself (i crafted most, if not all, of mine and made nice profit selling RF jewels in the process).
Leech>Penetration.

My build guide(s):
Tempest (Map)
Might from Within (Boss)
Poet's Way (Boss)
Inpulsa's Fury (Map)
Forest Fire (Map)

Have fun! Good luck hunting Elder!
Last edited by dvs_m0rph on Mar 7, 2019, 8:12:25 AM
Last bumped on Oct 8, 2019, 1:18:47 PM
Hey,

I would like to try this build. Could you please record a map clearing run or two?

"
emb wrote:
Hey,

I would like to try this build. Could you please record a map clearing run or two?

I got you. Map run uploading. Very nice map as well :)

Edit: map. It just uploaded, might take few minutes till it get's HD quality.
Last edited by dvs_m0rph on Apr 10, 2018, 7:53:15 AM
Seems like a nice build, think I will try it out as next char.
ign: Sacreeraldriledig
I have moved from RF to this build with my jugg (I had half the gear), but...

As a Poet's Pen first time user, what is the formula used to get the correct APS ? After reading your note I guess we can use :

"

C = The Poet's Pen cooldown in ms
L = Latency in ms
X = % cooldown recovery on gear
APS = Optimum number of attacks per second

APS = 1000 / ((( 100 / ( 1 + ( X / 100 ))) * ( C + L )) / 100)

Am I right ?
Last edited by Obso1337 on Apr 11, 2018, 8:59:52 AM
"
Obso1337 wrote:
I have moved from RF to this build with my jugg (I had half the gear), but...

As a Poet's Pen first time user, what is the formula used to get the correct APS ? After reading your note I guess we can use :

"

C = The Poet's Pen cooldown in ms
L = Latency in ms
X = % cooldown recovery on gear
APS = Optimum number of attacks per second

APS = 1000 / ((( 100 / ( 1 + ( X / 100 ))) * ( C + L )) / 100)

Am I right ?

I think it would be
APS = 1000 / (( 1 + X / 100 ) * C + L )
But as i said - i don't know if latency is causing this, just test it ingame. Pretty easy to manipulate IAS with GMP/FA.
Wow, this looks awesome! I'm looking for a tanky and good boss farmer and your build looks perfect for what I'm looking for. Can you make a video showing the clear speed of a t15/t16 map with body swap? Is there any way to sacrifice some tankyness to get more damage/clear speed? But still able to tank most things? I threw an eye at those pathfinder and assassin poet pens builds, but they looks like a glass cannon. sorry for my english and thanks for the build
"
ratz wrote:
Wow, this looks awesome! I'm looking for a tanky and good boss farmer and your build looks perfect for what I'm looking for. Can you make a video showing the clear speed of a t15/t16 map with body swap? Is there any way to sacrifice some tankyness to get more damage/clear speed? But still able to tank most things? I threw an eye at those pathfinder and assassin poet pens builds, but they looks like a glass cannon. sorry for my english and thanks for the build

Can't do t15-16 atm. Here's a Racecourse. Could drop Juggernaut wheel and get Explosive Impact. Could also swap Kaom's Ways to some nice opals i guess. I don't really feel the need for that, but up to you.
Thanks for the video, Lvling my char right now. any levling tips? or just get lvl 12, equip 2 poets, Unearth and volatile dead and gg?
Very nice and fun build, thanks!
IGN RighteousRom LvL-100 Juggernaut
Mirror Drop T-14 Shrine

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info