[3.2][HC]The Quillionaire - Quill Rain Tornado Shot

Quill Rain + Tornado Shot = Clearspeed Extraordinaire

This build is made on the concept that Tarkecat proposed back in 3.0 with the slayer ascendancy. I am not trying to invent the wheel twice, so anything that still makes sense and is overall the best choice is borrowed from his build.

Read the Design Manifesto for info on my thought process designing this build

I am currently level 91 in Bestiary League
_________________________________________________________________________________
Quick Overview:
- Utilizes Tornado shot and quill rain for up to 90 Hits/s on a single mob
- Scales only Fire damage
- Lots of eHP with 5,5k+ hp and 1.9k mana with MoM
- Up to 5400 Life and 2880 mana gain per second through thief's torment
- Around 170% movespeed
- Can do any map mod, even Ele Reflect
_________________________________________________________________________________
Design Manifesto
I see it over and over again. Builds that are made with the intent of doing xx million shaper dps and if that's what you are looking for, my builds aren't for you. I design builds with strong synergies between offense and defense. As such my builds will never be 3k hp glass cannons with millions of dps, rather i make balanced characters that i myself and others can expect to be able to reach endgame with, in either SC or HC. You also won't find mirror tier gears that are only obtainable for a few players. And you won't find inflated damage numbers that require a boss to be shocked through vaal lightning trap, have vaal haste, 50 charges and other shennanigans that is not possible to maintain.

My key goals for this character:
- Fun
- Strong Defensive layers
- Fast map clears
- Affordable with some dedication
- Consistency

Best of luck!
Priory

Build Mechanics
This build is made around the Quill rain Unique Bow. Quill Rain has the highest base attack speed of any bow at the cost of 40% less damage. For us however that is not an issue. We scale our damage through the use of the Immolate gem, flat fire damage, the number of projectiles and attack speed.

Besides this flat elemental scaling we utilize a few key items, that help us with surviveability such as the Thief's Torment Unique ring giving us 60 life and 30 mana gained on hit! With the amount of hits we do against even a single monster, we gain up to 5400 life and 2800 mana every second!

Pros & Cons
Pros
- Lots of life
- Mind over Matter
- Clearspeed is truly top tier
- Fun and Different
- Sounds like a Submachine Gun
- Can do all map mods

Cons
- Requires lots of jewels
- Not the fastest boss killer (still has around 700k shaper dps.)
Passive Skill Tree
Path of Exile skill tree
Skill Tree

Path of Building Pastebin Link:
https://pastebin.com/np8zfVTX

Skills & Links
Bow Setup
Everything we need to succeed in life.

Flammability & Blink arrow
Flammability provides increased damage and gives us a higher chance to ignite. Blink arrow is the basic movement skill of the build.

Items
Required Items
The staple of the build. The build can be played with other bows with no problem, but your surviveability will decrease greatly with lower attack speed.

Absolutely insane for this build. no amount of damage or life from rings would be able to make up for the surviveability this provides us. Also it's really cheap.

Recommended Items
Movement speed, attack speed, chaos res. This helmet is extremely good and easy to buy with the helmet enchant we want.

Adds 2 additional projectiles. This basically means we can hit the same monster 2 times more every time we attack. absolute best in slot.

Drillneck with +1 arrows is the best option for us. It gives us a huge damage increase. Best in slot. Drillneck with +1 arrows is also cheaper than most other quivers with the same corruption.

Adds a bunch of damage and some defenses. Extremely good.

Damage, less mana reserved, life and less damage taken when we kill a rare. Extremely good!

500 flat life and up to 40% fire damage. yes please.

Rares
Item mods to look for on gear:

- Elemental Resistances
- Attack speed
- Life
- Increased elemental damage
- Mana

Jewels
We have a total of 8 jewel sockets in the build.

7 of those are used on abyss jewels with flat fire damage and life and one is used for inspired learning!

My Jewels for reference:

Flasks
Quicksilver flask
Movespeed is important

Hallowed Hybrid flask
Try to get one with Removes bleeding

Basalt Flask
Try to get one with immunity to Freezes

The Wise Oak
Increases the uptime of the other flasks by a huge amount AND gives us increased damage.

The Dying Sun
2 Projectiles on flask use. Insane damage increase

Ascendancy
Raider
In all honesty this build can be played with a number of different ascendancies. Most notably Raider, Deadeye, Slayer, gladiator or pathfinder. I have chosen Raider since it gives the most movement speed for the gear chosen (yes i tested deadeye and you will end up with 20ms less and less attack speed), paired with loads of attack speed and free frenzy charge generation.

Normal Lab: Way of the Poacher
Many frenzy charges. yes please.

Cruel Lab: Rapid Assault
Onslaught. makes progression way smoother.

Merciless Lab: Avatar of the Slaughter
Frenzy charges gives more stuff. Honestly if you havn't prioritized frenzy charges on the skill tree at this point, just go with avatar of the chase.

Uber Lab: Avatar of the Chase
20% more movement and attack speed from onslaught.

Enchantments
Helmet - Tornado Shot Fires 2 Additional secondary projectiles
Boots - Adds # to # fire damage to attacks if you have killed recently
My Items
Main Setup

Flasks

Achievements
Uber Lab Deathless, Very Easy
Atziri Deathless, Hard (Reflect phase hurts)
Craiceann's Cove Deathless, Facetanked
Lair of the Hydra Ran with 109% corrupted rare and died once since i never done it before. also dont run it with additional projectiles and crit. it hurts

IGN: Granite
Colorblind? - Check out the Unofficial colourblind mode!
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2147271
Last edited by Priory on Mar 21, 2018, 6:14:59 PM
Last bumped on Sep 24, 2018, 1:54:07 AM
Bandits?
Last edited by berigud on Mar 19, 2018, 2:45:38 AM
"
caronteka wrote:
Bandits?

Kill all :)
I have no clue how to level this character..
"
deinernst123 wrote:
I have no clue how to level this character..

I leveled with a 2h weapon with sunder until level 38, then i switched to quill rain. At that point it will still be a little slow but as long as you have Thief's torment equipped, your sustain will be insane. This build really takes off when you hit maps.
Clear speed looks amazing! I've never done a bow build and i was thinking about attempting this. I only have play HC and so right now i pretty much have no currency. Looks like Koam's is kind of mandatory for HC, im a new player so i am not sure how to get rich to afford that. Will a rare chest with life/res be okay for lower tier maps? All the other gear looks very affordable. And you stated to use sunder until 38. I dont normally use other skills when leveling then convert, do i still follow the tree and just use sunder to get to 38?

"
Thrust3r wrote:
Clear speed looks amazing! I've never done a bow build and i was thinking about attempting this. I only have play HC and so right now i pretty much have no currency. Looks like Koam's is kind of mandatory for HC, im a new player so i am not sure how to get rich to afford that. Will a rare chest with life/res be okay for lower tier maps? All the other gear looks very affordable. And you stated to use sunder until 38. I dont normally use other skills when leveling then convert, do i still follow the tree and just use sunder to get to 38?

Hey man! This is the first league where i decided to play standard, since betam so i get you. If you play it in HC i would probably use the champion ascendancy with Fortitude and worthy foe, It makes it a lot safer and makes you immune to stuns. downside is that you need to run blood rage for frenzy charges and you have less movement speed. Damage will roughly be the same.

Yes i just followed the skill tree while leveling. its a bit slower than taking some 2h damage, but im a patient man.

GL with the build and just write me ingame if you need some advice!

P.s. if you are struggling with cash. pick up a belly of the beast for low-mid tier maps. If even that is a problem use Cloak of defiance and take away 2 mana nodes and switch them for the life that we dont pick up in the scion life wheel. it will give you almost the same amount of ehp at a much lower cost!
Last edited by Priory on Mar 19, 2018, 4:52:58 PM
"
Priory wrote:
"
caronteka wrote:
Bandits?

Damit! take kraytin :C
"
caronteka wrote:
"
Priory wrote:
"
caronteka wrote:
Bandits?

Damit! take kraytin :C

Too bad. Remember you can always see the bandit choice in path of building in the top left corner of the screen.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info