[3.3] HeiroFat: the Pen Is Mightier (HC, All Content, Perm IC, Boss Killer)

"
FnTsTiC wrote:
Frenzy can be cast 3.91 times per second, the crit chance is all over the place due to the power charges resetting themselves on a critical hit which can be achieved by all 4 spells, Volatile Dead and Bodyswap require a corpse and sometimes there isn't one so it's hard to tell exactly how much endurance charges you're gaining per second on average assuming all you do is sit there and attack, but starting from 3 frenzy charges after the first three frenzies, on the first frenzy attack you proc both unearth and volatile dead, you've gained 0.25 * 3 (frenzy + unearth + volatile dead) = 0.75 endurance charges and 3 power charges on average, assuming 0% crit chance which is not the case, you have 3 chances to crit with a spell which would immediately reset your power charges to 0 which lowers your crit chance and also you have 0% chance to get an endurance charge with the spell that crits instead of 25% because you don't gain a power charge, after that you attack with the second frenzy attack and now you proc bodyswap, immortal call is still on cooldown from the last proc, that is 2 power charges gained assuming no crit, 0.25 * 2 = 0.5 endurance charges gained on average, then repeat for the other 2 frenzy attacks, so assuming you didn't crit, you gained 3+2+3+2 = 10 power charges and 0.75+0.5+0.75+0.5= 2.5 endurance charges on average, but that would assume you can perform 4 frenzy attacks per second, you can only do 3.91 so multiply by 3.91/4 = 0.9775, so you gained 9.775 power charges and 2.44375 endurance charges on average assuming you didn't crit and you had enough corpses. Since you did crit, average endurance charges is slightly lower than that number but let's say it's 2.33 for simplicity. Now since IC has a cooldown of 3 seconds but 4 frenzy attacks take slightly more than 1 second since you can only do 3.91 frenzy attacks per second, that means for 3 seconds you can do 3.91 * 3 = 11.73 frenzy attacks, so the immortall call would proc on the 12th frenzy, it can only proc on even frenzy attacks since odd ones proc unearth and volatile dead while even ones proc bodyswap and immortal call due to the gem order, on the 10th frenzy IC is still on cd, so that means in order for the other 0.27 of the frenzy attack (11.73 + 0.27 = 12th frenzy attack) you need another 1/3.91 * 0.27 = 0.069 seconds, so IC would proc every 3.069 seconds even though it has a cooldown of 3 seconds, assuming you managed to get 5 endurance charges which is very likely but can still fail if you get unlucky with the 25% chance or the crit hits, IC would have a duration of 5 * 1.69 (level 24 IC) * 0.4s + 0.4s = 3.78 seconds, if you only got 4 endurance charges, which is a decent amount below the average expected endurance charges of about 7 for the total 3.069 seconds, IC would have 3.104s duration which is still above its cooldown of 3.069, so you'd have to get quite unlucky to get 3 charges with an IC duration of 2.428s which would leave more than half a sec to die from a hit assuming all you're doing is facetanking and spamming frenzy in one place. Now I know GGG uses an entropy system for crits and evasion but I'm not so sure about the 25% gain on endurance charges, you can get 75% unlucky many many times in a row, you only need to get unlucky enough once by getting 3 or less endurance charges to die, so how about improving the consistency of gaining endurance charges? We could try adding cold snap with voll's devotion, but triggered spells can't bypass their cooldown so that doesn't work. We can't use malachai's loop cuz it's a shield and we can't use Tulfall cuz it's a wand, what we can do though is add voll's devotion to our current setup so on any crit we lose our power charges from the ring and thus we replace them with endurance charges from voll's devotion. We could also manually cast discharge and use it at any point that we have more power charges than endurance charges. Discharge would consume our endurance charges and power charges, and give us endurance charges equal to power charges consumed due to voll's devotion, since we had more power charges than endurance charges prior to casting discharge, we end up with more endurance charges than we had before casting it. Casting discharge will cost us time though that we could spend on using frenzy attacks instead, with a base cast time of 1 seconds it's not the fastest spell around, with our cast speed it takes us 0.74s to cast it so we miss about 3 frenzy attacks, I wouldn't say it's worth it just to gain 1 endurance charge, since with our expected average endurance charges per second of 2.44375 we lose more average endurance charges for those 0.74s than we gain from casting discharge, unless we had 3 power charges and 0 endurance charges before casting Discharge. My other suggestion is manually casting Enduring Cry. It has a 4 seconds cd so we can only cast it once every few Immortal Call casts, but even if it gives us only 1 endurance charge, with its base cast of 0.25s which goes below 0.2s after our cast speed, it's definitely worth manually casting it even for 1 endurance charge, any more than 1 charge is insane value for the time spent casting it, 1 is good enough to be worth casting. So, add voll's devotion and manually cast Enduring cry, what do you think? Voll's devotion gives us some res, some life, str and int, and we don't care about the reduced duration since the charges' duration is reset on a charge gain, I think the tradeoff of slightly more raw stats on a rare amulet is worth it for a much higher chance to get at least 4 endurance charges for our immortal call, on every crit for every spell of the dozen we cast between IC casts we transform our lost power charges to endurance charges, that improves the chance of getting at least 4 endurance charges HUGELY. Without corpses instead of 3+2 spells you do rotations of 2+1 spell so the average expected endurance charges between IC casts is not ~7, it's between 4 and 4.5, closer to 4, which means if there are no corpses it's very easy to get unlucky and get 3 or less endurance charges and then if you get hit without IC you're dead

Dude are you high?
Also you wont die instantly when you get hit without IC. You still have 10k+ effective hp
"
yazisiz wrote:
Dude are you high?

I think the answer is yes. My eyes still burn.
(⌐■_■)
Hey atm running deadeye with magma orb and fireball in poet's pens, build is fun like hell but recently started doing red maps and dmg feels a bit clumsy so wanted to try your build :) just one question, what do you think about using Indigon? I know it can lower our overall ehp but that dmg boost would be sweet
"
"

Edit: When I put your char in PoB, adding conc effect to your VD adds 10k avg hit, 40k dps, while your body swap is doing 15k avg hit, alternating with Unearth, 30k dps. A third link is better for your gear and mine, unless there's something I'm missing here.

When I take our bodyswap it usually becomes very hard to stand ontop of bosses (they move and whatnot). This causes me to lose the corpse explosion/my HP detonation damage. While the third link is more spell damage, in practice I've found bodyswap to be superior. Both in terms of mobility and with noticeably faster kill speed. For totally stationary bosses, I could see using a controlled destruction or conc effect, but I don't really want to bother setting up a third pen (different colors) to swap in and out of.

I'm away on business this week so I won't be able to test, but I have changed my mind on this point. In any fight with adds generating corpses (general mapping) the above is correct. However, for pure single target (like shaper or elder phases), I realized that I am probably not producing enough corpses for VD. Given the unearth is linked to bodyswap, it is only casting every half second, regardless of the VD cooldown.

For this reason, I will test red elder using a third link rather than bodyswap when I return. Thanks for the interest and feedback on the build.

Best,
Marcel.
"
Mayhem69 wrote:
Hey atm running deadeye with magma orb and fireball in poet's pens, build is fun like hell but recently started doing red maps and dmg feels a bit clumsy so wanted to try your build :) just one question, what do you think about using Indigon? I know it can lower our overall ehp but that dmg boost would be sweet

Given that I don't have indigon, but all indications are the damage is nutty. Would be a pretty cool item to test, but kind of expensive on HC (at least 2 weeks ago when I went on my business trip). I imagine it has the potential to add a really big chunk of damage. Might want to pair with a clarity watcher's eye (15% chance to return 10% of your mana on skill use) to really snowball.

Another fun variant I want to mess with at some point is Juggernaut using Scold's Bridle and any phys-ele damage taken. The hits from scolds will proc your endurance charges (no romira's needed) for that sweet perm IC action. You may not run MoM in this version, but I imagine hitting 8-9k hp is still possible. I haven't tested this as it doesn't appear to be better than the heiro version, but it may well be almost completely equivalent (possibly higher damage as scold's has spell damage...but getting +1 VD enchant on scold's will take some work).
Last edited by SilverSequence on Mar 24, 2018, 3:51:27 PM
"
infusionxD wrote:
do you need the watcher eye jewel to do shaper and shit?

Not at all. I don't have one, but a good watcher's eye would be a sweet dps boost (and survivability depending on the eye).
"
Durza1985 wrote:
Thank you for this build.

Just two short questions:

- Are you only Elemental Weakness Resi capped while using the Wise Oak? I rather like to get 109% max resi without flasks and achieve this with 2 jewels. Or do your think it's not worth the 2 jewels?

- You have a lot of chaos resistance on items. Do you think it is mandatory? Considering my first question it is even harder to get the necessary items.

Thank you for your help and keep up the good work. Looking forward for the "Dream Gear".

- I am only ele weak capped with wise oak, endurance charges, or warding stibnite up. I find that to be plenty for mapping, although I don't particularly like running Ele Weak as you have to pay attention to flasks.

- I like chaos res to round out the build. It's a nice to have, for sure, but it means you can run pretty much anything.

- Overall, you can build as you like. The core damage + MoM + perm IC setup is what makes the build tick. Anything beyond that (MF, Damage, huge HP pool, etc) is personal taste.
Last edited by SilverSequence on Mar 24, 2018, 3:11:47 PM
"
FnTsTiC wrote:
Frenzy can be cast 3.91 times per second, the crit chance is all over the place due to the power charges resetting themselves on a critical hit which can be achieved by all 4 spells, Volatile Dead and Bodyswap require a corpse and sometimes there isn't one so it's hard to tell exactly how much endurance charges you're gaining per second on average assuming all you do is sit there and attack, but starting from 3 frenzy charges after the first three frenzies, on the first frenzy attack you proc both unearth and volatile dead, you've gained 0.25 * 3 (frenzy + unearth + volatile dead) = 0.75 endurance charges and 3 power charges on average, assuming 0% crit chance which is not the case, you have 3 chances to crit with a spell which would immediately reset your power charges to 0 which lowers your crit chance and also you have 0% chance to get an endurance charge with the spell that crits instead of 25% because you don't gain a power charge, after that you attack with the second frenzy attack and now you proc bodyswap, immortal call is still on cooldown from the last proc, that is 2 power charges gained assuming no crit, 0.25 * 2 = 0.5 endurance charges gained on average, then repeat for the other 2 frenzy attacks, so assuming you didn't crit, you gained 3+2+3+2 = 10 power charges and 0.75+0.5+0.75+0.5= 2.5 endurance charges on average, but that would assume you can perform 4 frenzy attacks per second, you can only do 3.91 so multiply by 3.91/4 = 0.9775, so you gained 9.775 power charges and 2.44375 endurance charges on average assuming you didn't crit and you had enough corpses...

I was somewhat concerned about this, but after fairly serious testing (10 min in the arena against a high regen buddy with lvl 1 spells), I was unable to get IC to fall off at all. Think your math misses VD itself hitting 4 times, which apparently can proc individual power charges. This is somewhat surprising since spells can typically only generate a single charge per cast with romira's (tested fairly extensively in the Mjolner days), but it appears that each VD ball works separately in this regard. I tested sustaining endurance charges with other spells (tested gloomfang magma orb for a bit) and found that IC could, occasionally, drop off.
I have done some, very preliminary, testing in the few min I have to play today. It appears that my assumptions about how pens work with IC on cooldown is not correct. Given this, and additional thought into it, I believe that this build's damage scales linearlly until 8 attacks per second. This is great news as it means that there is tremendous room to increase the damage and clearspeed using insanity gloves.

I would love to do further testing and increase the dps of the build, but unfortunately won't be able to this week. Hopefully someone out there wants to push their damage higher and is willing to test how on-cooldown skills (IC) work with pen triggers.

It looks to me as though the pen still trys to cast the IC even when it is on CD, rather than casting VD (even when off CD). If this is true, then the correct setup is VD -> Support -> Bodyswap in one pen and Unearth -> GMP + IC in the other. You want to get as much attack speed as possible, towards 8 attacks per second.

-Marcel
"
"
Mayhem69 wrote:

Given that I don't have indigon, but all indications are the damage is nutty. Would be a pretty cool item to test, but kind of expensive on HC (at least 2 weeks ago when I went on my business trip). I imagine it has the potential to add a really big chunk of damage. Might want to pair with a clarity watcher's eye (15% chance to return 10% of your mana on skill use) to really snowball.

Another fun variant I want to mess with at some point is Juggernaut using Scold's Bridle and any phys-ele damage taken. The hits from scolds will proc your endurance charges (no romira's needed) for that sweet perm IC action. You may not run MoM in this version, but I imagine hitting 8-9k hp is still possible. I haven't tested this as it doesn't appear to be better than the heiro version, but it may well be almost completely equivalent (possibly higher damage as scold's has spell damage...but getting +1 VD enchant on scold's will take some work).

Hey, thanks for answering :) right now i just bought indigon, watcher eye you suggested and pretty nice Loreweave with crazy 45% ele damage :D im broke as fuck now but gonna test it all in few days, first need to lvl up my new fathiero, gonna update here as soon as i can :D Thanks again for great build idea and to actively answering all questions, cheers :P

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info