[3.3] HeiroFat: the Pen Is Mightier (HC, All Content, Perm IC, Boss Killer)

"
joNDel_x wrote:
"
SlowMo wrote:

So setup like this will then do the job, right?

Char Sheet left Hand
Unearth
GMP
Bodyswap

Char Sheet right Hand
Support
VD
Support

Looks fine to me. BTW, from what I read, left/right hand doesn't really matter as both will trigger together on each attack.

Thanks Mate!

There are passages in this thread that say otherwise, thanks for clearing things up
"
joNDel_x wrote:
Poet's Pen triggers spells from top to bottom; it casts the top spell in both Pen's, at the same time, on your first use of Frenzy. If you continue to cast Frenzy, it will casts the skills in the next socket down. I have Immortal Call in the top gem socket of my right hand Pen and I know it always casts first, which is what I wanted.

Note, you generally need to use Unearth before VD, or there may not be any corpses for VD to explode.

I red this here on the thread

"Just a tip for anyone that is having a similar issue.. I was noticing Bodyswap wouldn't proc sometimes when I was just moving around a map. As in, not killing anything. It seemed like it was skipping attacks and was just inconsistent.

I read somewhere the link order on Poet's Pens matters for this. You want Bodyswap at top (first socket) then Unearth/GMP any order in the 2 green. Also, use the wand that has the Bodyswap setup in right hand (left side on character sheet).

I changed my setup to this and it fixed the problem. I move around much quicker now as Bodyswap casts on every frenzy attack when not killing anything."

Is that correct? Coz I made my poet pens like this.. so basicly I have bodyswap-unearth-faster in 1 hand, and VD-IC-Fire pen on the other. So ..should I change them?
Last edited by AlexAndonov on May 17, 2018, 9:37:33 AM
Thats basicly what i have to, but i personally want the VD to cast before bodyswap, but I dunno if this will mess up with the setting.
And our main source of dmg is fire if i get it right?so everything with % fire dmg is good? or it could be elemental aswell?
This is to help clear up questions about Pen ordering. It's a bit long, but hopefully will clear up confusion.

The hand your pens in does not matter, but the order of the gems in the pens does.

Pens trigger from top to bottom (the order of the links).
The Pen has an internal 250ms cooldown on every active skill-- a gem in the pen can only trigger a maximum of 4 times per second, unless you have cooldown reduction in your build.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First let's look at this setup with 2 linked wands:
Volatile Dead -> support
Unearth -> GMP

Every time you attack the first gem in each pen checks to see if it is off cooldown. In this case, it will try to cast Unearth and Volatile Dead at the exact same time. This will result in Unearth shooting out, and VD failing to cast. VD usually fails here because of the projectile travel time for Unearth, not because something is wrong with your Pens. This travel time is why the build feels different when you have proj speed, or keep your cursor closer to your character. If unearth "lands" within the ping window for the casting of VD, then VD will correctly cast, but this almost never happens.

If you attack again before 250 milliseconds has passed, the pens will not cast since the internal cooldown is not up. If you attack 250 ms or later, you will shoot out more unearth and VD.

This is the core damage rotation of the build.

For mobility, we add in a third link on one of the pens -- Bodyswap.
Volatile Dead -> support
Unearth -> GMP -> Bodyswap

Now, every time you attack the first Pen casts Volatile Dead as long as it's been at least 250ms since your last attack (because of the internal CD on Poet's Pens). The second Pen now alternates between casting Unearth and Bodyswap. If you attack 4 times per second, the second Pen is casting unearth 2x per second and bodyswap 2x per second. If there are no bodies from killing mobs, half of your VD casts do not have corpses and fail.

This is the standard setup even though VD only successfully casts half the time (2x per second) due to the lack of corpses. This setup only casts Bodyswap 2x per second, but the movement is consistent since there will always be corpses to target (from unearth) and predictable since your Unearth has time to travel to its destination before your Pen casts Bodyswap. In addition, once you start killing mobs you'll do maximum damage since VD will have lots of extra non-unearth bodies to blow up.

You could, if you wanted, switch Bodyswap and VD.
Bodyswap -> support
Unearth -> GMP -> Volatile Dead
This will cast Bodyswap 4x per second, resulting in more mobility. However, there will only be corpses for you to teleport to half the time (same as setup above) unless you've killed mobs. Overall, this setup allows you to move more quickly at the cost of damage in cases where there are extra corpses.

The third link in your second pen, Immortal Call, has its own internal CD of 3 seconds. This means that it will replace Volatile Dead for 1 cast every 3 seconds. In other words, there's not much to worry about here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now for the big reveal. If you somehow managed to get close to 8 attacks per second (rather than 4) then you'll cast 4x unearth and 4x bodyswap per second. This makes moving feel super smooth and is much faster. The problem is, if you're not close to 8aps then you're losing VD casts. To illustrate:

1 second of Frenzy at 4 Aps (.25 attack speed)

0 seconds Attack - Unearth | Volatile Dead
.25 seconds Attack - Body Swap | Volatile Dead (or IC if it's off CD)
.5 seconds Attack - Unearth | Volatile Dead
.75 seconds Attack - Body Swap | Volatile Dead (or IC if it's off CD)

Total VD = 4 (-1 if IC was off cd for 1 of them)
Total Unearth = 2
Total Bodyswap = 2

1 second of Frenzy at 5 Aps (.2 attack speed)

.2 seconds Attack - Body Swap | Nothing or IC (VD On CD)
.4 seconds Attack - Unearth | Volatile Dead
.6 seconds Attack - Body Swap | Nothing or IC (VD On CD)
.8 seconds Attack - Unearth | Volatile Dead

Total VD = 3 (-1 if IC was off cd for 1 of them)
Total Unearth = 3
Total Body Swap = 2

1 second of Frenzy at 8 Aps (.125 attack speed)

.125 seconds Attack - Body Swap | Nothing or IC (VD On CD)
.25 seconds Attack - Unearth | Volatile Dead
.375 seconds Attack - Body Swap | Nothing or IC (VD On CD)
.5 seconds Attack - Unearth | Volatile Dead
.625 seconds Attack - Body Swap | Nothing or IC (VD On CD)
.75 seconds Attack - Unearth | Volatile Dead
.875 seconds Attack - Body Swap | Nothing or IC (VD On CD)

Total VD = 4 (-1 if IC was off cd for 1 of them)
Total Unearth = 4
Total Body Swap = 4

Notice that you lose VD casts by going over 4aps until you get to 8aps. The theoretical best setup is to have 8aps as you'll have maximum VD casts as well as max Unearth and Bodyswap. You can see how smooth this is in the video I link from Abyss league where I made a similar, but weaker, build using necromancer for the massive free attack speed.

I hope this helps.
-Marcel

Last edited by SilverSequence on May 18, 2018, 3:20:53 AM
"
AlexAndonov wrote:
And our main source of dmg is fire if i get it right?so everything with % fire dmg is good? or it could be elemental aswell?

Yes, you do almost all fire damage. There are plenty of great Poet's Pen elementalist builds. They will probably do slightly more damage than this build, but do not have permanent Immortal Call.
"
AlexAndonov wrote:
I cant understand, what setup I should use for summon phantasm and acrance surge? I should put 1 more active skill that I have to use, so they can proc?Its my first time I am using poets pen and i am a bit confused how exactly this works, so sorry for the stupid question

You want to link Summon Phantasm on Kill to your main attack (Frenzy). This takes advantage of a weird POE mechanic to allow Frenzy, an attack, to trigger Arcane Surge, which only triggers on spell casts. In a nutshell, Summon Phantasm on Kill "casts" a spell "Summon Phantasm". This means that Frenzy, an attack, gets a hidden "cast" tag added to it when you link it to SPoK. Because of this hidden "cast" tag, you can link Arcane Surge to your Frenzy attack.

Your attack 5 link looks like: Frenzy + Faster Attacks + Culling Strike (with quality for more attack speed) + SPoK + Arcane Surge.

You can put anything you want in for a 6th link. I've seen people use life gain on hit, knock back, and blind. It's totally up to you.
So Bodyswap-Unearth-GMP in 1 hand and IC-FP-VD in the other is not the best setup?
"
Now for the big reveal. If you somehow managed to get close to 8 attacks per second (rather than 4) then you'll cast 4x unearth and 4x bodyswap per second.

Is it possible to get 8aps on Inquisitor in league?

"
AlexAndonov wrote:
So Bodyswap-Unearth-GMP in 1 hand and IC-FP-VD in the other is not the best setup?

I'm using the OPs setup of IC->FP->VD and Unearth->GMP->Bodyswap. I know that I see the problem with missed Bodyswaps and being completely unable to move that way, at times. I think I'll try changing Bodyswap and Unearth to see if that helps.
"
joNDel_x wrote:
"
Now for the big reveal. If you somehow managed to get close to 8 attacks per second (rather than 4) then you'll cast 4x unearth and 4x bodyswap per second.

Is it possible to get 8aps on Inquisitor in league?

"
AlexAndonov wrote:

I'm using the OPs setup of IC->FP->VD and Unearth->GMP->Bodyswap. I know that I see the problem with missed Bodyswaps and being completely unable to move that way, at times. I think I'll try changing Bodyswap and Unearth to see if that helps.

Well, I am using the setup that i wrote here , and I cant see any problems, but that might be coz i am not get used to it yet

Lightpoacher is good for end game or I have to look for some rare with good def stats and maybe fire dmg on it ?
Last edited by AlexAndonov on May 18, 2018, 3:47:04 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info