[3.2] Hierophant/Scion GC Totems - Fully Optimized COMPLETE Uber Elder down

"
P0G0 wrote:
whats even the point of having MoM with 700mana pool?

700 mana is still 700 damage that you don't take. With four points you arnt getting anywhere close to that much life.
"
I'm struggling to see how this is meangingfully distinct from Thi3n's long-standing (now 70 page) guide:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1976479

You did go kikazaru, which is a difference I suppose, but he does outline it as an alternate option in his guide.

I'm definitely jealous of your dagger though, that's some nice shaper goodness.

Purpose for the guide is to answer questions, explore different gearing options and to optimize. None of which are happening in that thread.

There is still so much left over info from 3.1 that is worthless to a newer player IMO that the build deserves it's own guide. For long time players it will be self explanatory, but for people who would like questions answered, and build dynamics, there isnt a place currently. That is the goal.

Edit- Should have added, this came from asking on Reddit to see who would be interested, I had 20 or so people respond that they would like a better / more in depth guide and another few dozen PM me asking as much. If there wasn't a need, I wouldn't be doing it.
Last edited by BeerLeague on Mar 13, 2018, 7:03:33 PM
Aside from "check my gear," the most common questions I see coming up from new players are about how damage conversion / shaper mods work, and how to prioritize damage stats on those shaper weapons.

Here's a post I made in the other thread about crafting your own shaper weapons. It was a reply to a particular guy, but is mostly general purpose:

"
The +x-y damage to spells type mods are not good for glacial cascade, due to its meager 60% damage effectiveness stat. You will get a lot more mileage out of shaper weapons.

I find crafting my own shaper weapons to be the best bang for the buck, though obviously there's a lot of RNG invovled there. Scepters in particular you can actually get really good just with alteration orbs, since there's really strong shaper mods in both prefix and suffix slots.

This took me about 300 alt orbs to make:

The regal failed obviously, but it doesn't really matter, it is still a huge damage item. On a higher budget one could annul and multi-mod, but I'm not at that budget level yet this league.

If you decide to go the alt-route, the mods you're looking for are:

Scepter
Prefix (one of these):
Phys as extra fire (ilvl 80)
Phys as extra light (ilvl 80)
Ele as extra chaos (ilvl 85)

Suffix (one of these):
Phys as random element (ilvl 80)
Elemental penetration (ilvl 83)

One of these plus one good non-shaper mod is also worth stopping on, and throwing a regal at. Spell damage, spell crit, cast speed, crit multi are all decent, if they are high tier rolls.

Dagger
Prefix (one of these):
Phys as extra cold (ilvl 80)
Phys as extra light (ilvl 80)
Ele as extra chaos (ilvl 85)

Suffix (one of these):
Elemental Penetration (ilvl 83)

Again if you get a good non-shaper mod paired with one of these it is worth stopping. You can't naturally roll cast speed on dagger, but the rest of the mods are the same as scepters. You can get a hybrid cast speed roll on a dagger off a shaper mod (faster casting support), though.

The other option which I like a little better for dagger crafting is misery essences. Most of the good shaper mods on daggers are prefixes, cast speed from misery is a suffix so it doesn't interfere, and cast speed is an extremely strong damage stat for us (somewhat less so if you have a 6-link and can run a faster casting support, but still very good). Misery essences aren't very expensive so I think it is strictly superior to chaos spamming.

Here's my misery crafted dagger (~30 misery essences, and yes, buying them is annoying):

The dagger isn't as good as the scepter, and it is the next item I will be upgrading, when I can summon the motivation to shop for more misery essences.

If you end up with lots of non-cold mods on your weapons (as I obviously have) keep in mind you'll be wanting to swap cold penetration for a different support. (I use hypothermia)

Amulet is the other relatively strong DPS slot. I realize with the way you're geared right now you may need the resists on your ammy, but if you can find a way past that, ammy can be quite powerful. Crit multi, cast speed, and shaper/elder conversion mods are the strongest damage. Crit chance and spell damage are less good. On shaper only, ele penetration and IIQ are also available, and very good.
"
Aside from "check my gear," the most common questions I see coming up from new players are about how damage conversion / shaper mods work, and how to prioritize damage stats on those shaper weapons.

Here's a post I made in the other thread about crafting your own shaper weapons. It was a reply to a particular guy, but is mostly general purpose:

Agreed. Also, people vastly undervalue how good Doryani's is for the build. Even with your in depth look, a well rolled one is better than that dagger, significantly so in most cases. It may even out preform that scepter on bosses.

Shimmerons are also work looking at for damage, if you don't mind using flame dash, and will vastly outperform 3 damage stat sticks like yours even without specing for more power charges.
"
BeerLeague wrote:
Agreed. Also, people vastly undervalue how good Doryani's is for the build. Even with your in depth look, a well rolled one is better than that dagger, significantly so in most cases. It may even out preform that scepter on bosses.

It doesn't out-perform either of my weapons. Even if we assume best case for doryani (no curses active for self-flag, therefor less additive bonuses to drown out doryan's 132%) the dagger still beats it. The scepter absolutely crushes it. This is all very easy to test in PoB, although PoB doesn't understand "phys as random element" so you have to break it out like this:

Spoiler

Doryani is an okay starter item, but it is easily outclassed by shaper weapons.

"
Shimmerons are also work looking at for damage, if you don't mind using flame dash, and will vastly outperform 3 damage stat sticks like yours even without specing for more power charges.

Nope, easy to test this in PoB. Dual perfect roll shimmeron costs me 11% DPS, even after replacing inc crit with another damage gem (cold pen).

If I were to respec blast radius and my 3 point socket for the other power charges, then shimmeron is a very slight 3% damage gain. For whirling blades I'll gladly give that up, and again remember this is with perfect shimmerons. With average shimmerons it is still a damage loss (-4%).

Shimmerons have come down in price a lot recently, so maybe it is worth mentioning as a budget option for people who don't mind giving up fortify.

edit: You run hatred, and I don't. If I ran hatred shimmerons would get better relative to shaper weapons, but I'm not willing to lose half my mana in a 40% MoM build.
Last edited by magicrectangle on Mar 13, 2018, 11:02:25 PM
Hey mate thanks for writing this up. Been tweaking my build as I go and it's landing pretty close to this for Hiero.

One question. Your pastebin for the hiero tree shows 230k shaper DPS, but your post says 2.3 million. Am I missing a comma or is there some way the 230k DPS scales into 2.3M with 5 totems?
Last edited by Rallos on Mar 13, 2018, 10:41:21 PM
"

Shimmerons have come down in price a lot recently, so maybe it is worth mentioning as a budget option for people who don't mind giving up fortify.

The budget option is what I was looking at. They are great if you are on a budget and want to do shaper / red elder as you dont have to move much and they offer almost as much damage as a really GG stat stick.

For Doryani's, you would, as you said, need to alter your gems a bit. Cold Pen is ridiculously strong in most cases and goes very well.

Also, everything is very build and gear dependent as you mentioned. If I take both of your weapons in place of my setup, double Doryani's actually gives me 10% more dps in PoB.

The real point is that there are options and I really do not recommend that newer players try and craft their own stat sticks until they have an understand of how the damage actually works.
"
Rallos wrote:
Hey mate thanks for writing this up. Been tweaking my build as I go and it's landing pretty close to this for Hiero.

One question. Your pastebin for the hiero tree shows 230k shaper DPS, but your post says 2.3 million. Am I missing a comma or is there some way the 230k DPS scales into 2.3M with 5 totems?

That is 2.3 per spell hit, GC hits twice (or three times in some cases), and there are 5 totems.

2.3 x2 x5 is the real calculation.
"
BeerLeague wrote:
Also, everything is very build and gear dependent as you mentioned. If I take both of your weapons in place of my setup, double Doryani's actually gives me 10% more dps in PoB.

This sounded doubtful to me, so I tested it. With your setup, gems unchanged, all other gear unchanged, my weapons give 10.8% MORE damage than double perfect Doryani's. As I mentioned PoB doesn't correctly understand phys as random element, so you have to break it out for it. Here's the PoB code for my scepter with the phys as random element fixed:
Spoiler
Armageddon Breaker
Karui Sceptre
Unique ID: 0693509ca60bd267e597dcb8bb7e39a953f49191bc945bc145b6268b472e3385
Shaper Item
Item Level: 80
Quality: 0
Sockets: B-R-B
LevelReq: 56
Implicits: 1
26% increased Elemental Damage
Gain 39% of Physical Damage as Extra Lightning Damage
+64 to Accuracy Rating
Gain 9.34% of Physical Damage as Extra Lightning Damage
Gain 9.33% of Physical Damage as Extra Cold Damage
Gain 9.33% of Physical Damage as Extra Fire Damage
{crafted}54% increased Critical Strike Chance for Spells

That's 10.8% even leaving your gems alone (cold pen), despite the fact it shifts almost half the damage to other damage types. Swapping cold pen for controlled destruction gives my weapons a 23.5% damage advantage over perfect doryani's in your setup (against shaper, best case for cold pen).

edit: while we're playing with PoB, I happened to notice your amulet is pretty poor. It does have a lot of life, but in terms of damage you could have a crit mult + cast speed (non-shaper) amulet for a handfull of chaos that would give you twice the damage contribution.

My non-shaper amulet (well technically shaper, but no shaper mods):

Gives you 27k dps, compared to 12k from your own. An amulet like that is quite cheap. Certainly compared to what you must have paid for some of your items (that dagger, still so jealous).
Last edited by magicrectangle on Mar 13, 2018, 11:21:07 PM
"

This sounded doubtful to me, so I tested it. With your setup, gems unchanged, all other gear unchanged, my weapons give 10.8% MORE damage than double perfect Doryani's. As I mentioned PoB doesn't correctly understand phys as random element, so you have to break it out for it. Here's the PoB code for my scepter with the phys as random element fixed:
Spoiler
Armageddon Breaker
Karui Sceptre
Unique ID: 0693509ca60bd267e597dcb8bb7e39a953f49191bc945bc145b6268b472e3385
Shaper Item
Item Level: 80
Quality: 0
Sockets: B-R-B
LevelReq: 56
Implicits: 1
26% increased Elemental Damage
Gain 39% of Physical Damage as Extra Lightning Damage
+64 to Accuracy Rating
Gain 9.34% of Physical Damage as Extra Lightning Damage
Gain 9.33% of Physical Damage as Extra Cold Damage
Gain 9.33% of Physical Damage as Extra Fire Damage
{crafted}54% increased Critical Strike Chance for Spells

That's 10.8% even leaving your gems alone (cold pen), despite the fact it shifts almost half the damage to other damage types. Swapping cold pen for controlled destruction gives my weapons a 23.5% damage advantage over perfect doryani's in your setup (against shaper, best case for cold pen).

edit: while we're playing with PoB, I happened to notice your amulet is pretty poor. It does have a lot of life, but in terms of damage you could have a crit mult + cast speed (non-shaper) amulet for a handfull of chaos that would give you twice the damage contribution.

My non-shaper amulet (well technically shaper, but no shaper mods):

Gives you 27k dps, compared to 12k from your own. An amulet like that is quite cheap. Certainly compared to what you must have paid for some of your items (that dagger, still so jealous).

Amulet will be the next thing I work on, after getting my new boots correctly enchanted. As for the weapons, I am still not getting more dps with the other setup and I do know how the calculations work. On my weapon, I actually chaos spammed it. Super lucky, but maybe was due as last league I dropped probably close to 5k chaos trying to spam / essence craft a stat stick for reeve.

Either way, it isnt meant to be a pissing contest, it is simply meant as a point that many players overvalue 1 or 2 mods on shaper/elder rares when stuff like Doryani's exists and are very cheap comparatively.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info