[3.7] Freezing Pulse Totem Hierophant | Cheap, Starter, Guide, Guardians, Shaper

hello! can you take a look at my character and tell me what seems to be the problem? i mean im getting one-hitted all thie time. any tips will be appreciated!https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/ChrisWello/characters
"
ChrisWello wrote:
hello! can you take a look at my character and tell me what seems to be the problem? i mean im getting one-hitted all thie time. any tips will be appreciated!https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/ChrisWello/characters

What exactly is oneshotting you? Our build is not supposed to tank anything. Place your totems preemptively and freeze mobs before they can hit you. Especially in Flashback there are some scarier mobs we can't freeze, against all those (just like map bosses) make sure your totems are up, use your Curse and FrostBomb and shield charge around to avoid the hits. Don't stand still.

- Your Lightning Res is not capped
- Link Fortify to Shield Charge!!! (20% damage reduction)
- You have no freeze and curse remove flasks.
- Remove Forbidden Taste and Mana Flask for a defensive flask (Basalt/Granite) and Silver.
- Also get all flasks to quality 20, you want to have them up permanently.
- Arcane Surge is too high level
- Your gear can be improved of course, but I don't think that is the main issue.
Last edited by VisorX on May 20, 2018, 2:20:53 PM
okay. im on it! thanks
Do you think because of 3.3 changes to FP we can totally drop Faster proj? And also are FP totally bad if i will start using them after ancestral bond?
OP, thanks for the guide - looks like a great build. I'm a huge fan of totem builds particularly as starters so will use this as my starter for Incursion.

Especially considering the buff changes to FP - have you got any thoughts on this? Seems to be an overall buff to FP (damage, falloff) with no downsides. However it might change the gem links? I.e., faster proj?
3.3 is looking really promising for this build. I don't really know why they would buff Freezing Pulse :D. Freezing Pulse Totems was already one of the best starter builds in my opinion and it's only getting better.

We were already trying to drop Faster Projectiles as a gem by getting Projectile Speed on other gear pieces (enchant, Karui Ward). We might be dropping Karui Ward (when we have 20% quality gem) and/or the enchant. Have to wait for exact patch nodes and test after the changes. More projectile speed will never hurt though if you wanna hit more stuff off-screen. But it should be less necessary.

You could use Freezing Pulse after Ancestral Bond if you buy one treshold jewel before you do the actual treshold jewel quest in act5. One threshold jewels brings us from 1 to 3 projectiles. I would never use it with just 1 projectile.
As a new league starter, playing on SSF, would you stick to just one Freezing Pulse threshold jewel, or do you think it is worth it to make another char and just quick do the quest again and mule it?
"
VisorX wrote:
I guess Freezing Pulse is a bit different, cause you freeze most mobs, so you don't have to worry about spamming totems because they die. But also against bosses that you don't freeze it was never a big issue.

Hierophant gives us 90% placement speed, in addition we have 30% from the tree and 20% from the spell totem gem (20% quality). That's already 140%. You are probably suggesting to take the 2 other clusters near the scion life wheel that give us 61% additional placement speed.

The problem is that we have to spend a lot of points to get those other totem wheels (18 points if we don't fill out scion life wheel). We probably would have to give up a lot of crit nodes which will hurt our damage a lot. The totem wheels themselves aren't that amazing that it's worth to sacrifice that many points.

According to PoB we could improve our placement speed from 0.25s to 0.2s with those other clusters. I don't think its worth to sacrifice ~15-20% damage for that.

Thanks for the reply and putting into that prospective for me. Makes sense to skip those wheels for freeze pulse if your loosing that much dmg.

-Nem
"
Platotones wrote:
As a new league starter, playing on SSF, would you stick to just one Freezing Pulse threshold jewel, or do you think it is worth it to make another char and just quick do the quest again and mule it?

I don't think it's worth to mule it. That's just way too much time invested. I never tried going GC totems, but I can imagine that being superior to playing Freeing Pulse with just one jewel. The trees should be very similar. Just keep the AoE cluster from Firestorm/Flameblast and probably get the other AoE nodes too. But considering the coming Freezing Pulse buffs, you might just be fine with one jewel. Just try it out.
3.3 Update
3.3 gave Freezing Pulse a suprising big buff. We get just flat out more damage and the damage fall-off is limited to 50% at the end of projectiles and not 0%. In my opinion Freezing Pulse was already the best Totem skill for mapping and now that shouldn't be in question anymore.

Because of less damage fall-off it's not as important to scale projectile speed anymore. It will still be nice to have to kill stuff off-screen. But we can probably drop Karui Ward or the projectile speed enchant. During league start you could try not running the Faster Projectiles gem, but you might wanna have at least some projectile speed, which Karui Ward could provide cheaply. (until we have 20% quality gem)

I will not to be able to play or respond here during the first days of league start. I will also probably choose another leaguestarter this time (for variety). So it would be nice if you could report how comfortable you feel with scaling less projectile speed. I wish you all a fun und successful leaguestart.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info