[Guide] What a macro is allowed to do in Path of Exile

"
Aldonés wrote:
It’s a good example of how an “authorized” overlay can be used in violation of ToS.

Apologies for not responding more promptly.

Do you have a source for this being 'authorized'? It's something I've previously looked into, and I found little more than that they were looking into its Overseer functionality and not entirely comfortable with some of the program's features.
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.
"
Sarno wrote:
Do you have a source for this being 'authorized'? It's something I've previously looked into, and I found little more than that they were looking into its Overseer functionality and not entirely comfortable with some of the program's features.

That I do not. When I first started using the tool I recall looking into it, but I used it for the trade features. Looking into it now I can't find any source that says one way or the other. I suppose my greatest "source" is the test of time. It's been around for years, and I don't know of any outcry that people have started being banned for any of it's features...but I haven't really looked into it either.

With Overseer I haven't looked into the Capture and Import section enough, but I don't see how the Progress Bar and Icons could be violations. They're just overlays tied to button presses to go off regardless of what actually happens. Lutbot has a very similar utility. It also doesn't seem to different in spirit or function from Yolomouse, and Chris himself gave that the thumbs up, at least in the version 3 years ago. (source)

The chat scanner feature seems to automated for me, so I've never even bothered looking into it.
Last edited by Aldonés on Jan 4, 2020, 10:56:37 AM
Thanks. :)
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

Hey, I've got a question.

Can I use a macro to pick up my oils from my stash and sell them to a vendor if I manually walk to the vendor myself?

I've been mainly doing blighted maps this league(really enjoying them since they're pretty much stress-free content and I don't have to worry about randomly dying so much and losing xp), and I've got thousands of low-tier oils.

E:
If not that, then If I macro CRTL+mouseclick on a certain button on my keyboard, would that be seen as an OK thing to do? My hand is already scuffed for trying to build dozens of towers in a small corridor in spider lair map.
Last edited by joukodini on Jan 23, 2020, 5:29:02 AM
"
joukodini wrote:
Hey, I've got a question.

Can I use a macro to pick up my oils from my stash and sell them to a vendor if I manually walk to the vendor myself?

I've been mainly doing blighted maps this league(really enjoying them since they're pretty much stress-free content and I don't have to worry about randomly dying so much and losing xp), and I've got thousands of low-tier oils.

E:
If not that, then If I macro CRTL+mouseclick on a certain button on my keyboard, would that be seen as an OK thing to do? My hand is already scuffed for trying to build dozens of towers in a small corridor in spider lair map.

No on the first one, as that is more than one action.

As for the second, probably not either, but it depends. I would err on the side of caution. But best practice is to ALWAYS email GGG and ask them. support@grindinggear.com
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!"
"
joukodini wrote:

Definitely no to #1 as Aragorn14 said. As far as I know #2 would be fine so long as you still manually move the mouse and physically press down the macro key every click. Still, I’d email support because I cannot say if ‘ctrl’ and ‘click’ are separate server side actions or constitute a single action. I do not believe they care if click comes from a mouse or other source, but again I do not know.

If you do email support, I’m sure Sarno would appreciate it if you posted their response here.
Last edited by Aldonés on Jan 23, 2020, 9:05:52 AM
Hi, I've got a question.

Can I set one key as different actions?

For example:
- Press <F> once => Use a skill in the skill bar
- Holding <F> => Pickup Mode

Another example:
- Press <Shift> once => Map overlay ON/OFF
- Press <Shift> twice => Item highlight ON/OFF
- Holding <Shift> => Attack in place

I think it will be OK because GGG doesn't concern how user interact with the UI but I can't find any source of this.

PS: I'm sorry if same question already exists. (I haven't read all coments in thies thread.)
That's actually not allowed (and is covered in the guide);

"
Sarno wrote:
No; macros which alternate, or rotate, between multiple actions aren't approved.

I think they view it as a form of decision-making - e.g. similar to botting - but I'm not certain on that. You could always e-mail support@grindinggear.com to ask.

----

hey guys, can someone answer me pretty straight - is poe overlay (program from github) illegal or not? I've seen ZiggyD using it on his stream tho. I think it does mean smth or not?
I've already written to GGG support and got the standard reply:
"
Hi there,

Thanks for contacting us about this.

In general, we do not encourage the creation or use of third-party tools because they provide advantages for players that use them. I'm afraid, due to the dynamics of our policies, we're unable to guarantee if a tool is allowed or would remain allowed in the future.

I would recommend refraining from creating or using any programs that automates or does more than one action with a keystroke or mouse click as well as anything that interacts with the game client to provide an advantage over other players or provide information that isn't normally visible.

If you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to let us know.

Kind regards,
Sam

we don't encourage, we recommend and no such words like ban, illegial, account disactivation. Its just not the answer
Last edited by 14plus on Apr 3, 2020, 3:19:58 PM

Use this to update this thread thanks

From the OP, it looked as if a macro that is bound to a hotkey that presses another hotkey is allowed

But it's not
Last edited by Bloomania on Jun 13, 2020, 10:47:10 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info