Risk versus Reward in PoE: Bosses

Due to the ridiculous XP loss on death, I have started to carefully look for certain mods on maps to avoid and not do any bosses of any kind. Yeah, oh, what fun.
Going outside is highly overrated
-Anorak's Almanac. Chapter 17, Verse 32
I like some of the ideas in here, adding Harbinger shards as boss drops. The idea of bosses having a chance to drop something the rest of the map doesn't, intrigues me. It doesn't have to be shards, but something... Just anything the rest of the map can't drop. That would indeed give us a reason to do the boss.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
"
Phrazz wrote:
I like some of the ideas in here, adding Harbinger shards as boss drops. The idea of bosses having a chance to drop something the rest of the map doesn't, intrigues me. It doesn't have to be shards, but something... Just anything the rest of the map can't drop. That would indeed give us a reason to do the boss.

I think this would fill the most, the request i made with this thread to be honest. Having a special reason to go on them, even with RnG involved i don't care about having guaranteed reward at all.

This and eventualy a buffed version of each bosses that you can "unlock" or i don't know havn't worked out this idea more than that for now ( out of map mods ), more for the "challenging reward" part; Feels of accomplishing something and so on.
Hf :)
Last edited by Heli0nix on Jan 23, 2018, 7:52:48 PM
Honestly once I clear a map once (or several to get the challenges), I usually don't bother with the bosses on the red tier maps. They hurt XP / hr and the risk isnt usually worth the reward.

It's a shame because I feel like either 1, they should be difficult and give a high payout, or 2 be easy and give negligible loot (like they do now lol). An XP boost like others have said would be nice.
Vault when it's occupied by a Guardian or Elder has a great boss risk/reward. Such a broken mechanic. GGG wtf were you thinking here?
I think they could at least drop wisdom scrolls and portal scrolls. I recently noticed that map bosses don't drop a lot of these (today anyway). I have my filter to hide them.

But pressing alt when the boss is dead and picking up a few portal and wisdom scrolls on the way out would be super useful. haha.
"
Miská wrote:
"
shaunika90 wrote:
A guaranteed map of the same tier would be nice(but cant be the same)

Oh my...*facepalm*

okay fine, guaranteed anything is bad.

but you know it has to be SOMETHING.

since the game punishing you the more risks you take is just not good design.

it could just drop "map shards" that become a random map of the same tier if you collect enough.

or the afoorementioned horizon/harbinger orb drop chances would be awesome.

seriously, literally anything.
"
Vresiberba wrote:
Due to the ridiculous XP loss on death, I have started to carefully look for certain mods on maps to avoid and not do any bosses of any kind. Yeah, oh, what fun.

Yea I've started killing bosses to fill in the atlas only after I leveled up and just skipping them entirely otherwise. Especially because sometimes I can kill the boss no problem and other times it destroys me and takes zero damage even though the first time has the added damage multiplier on the map and the second time doesn't
"
Slaanesh69 wrote:
I only kill the boss in 2 circumstances:

(1) Atlas achievement
(2) The build I am playing can faceroll the boss

Basically this.

Boss loot is totaly unrewarding crap. Check ItsYoji's video about Elder Guardian in the red map.
"War's over, soldier. You just don't know it yet. Everybody lost."
At least during leveling i feel rewarded because i made a build that can survive :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info