Stories from Development: The Map System

I loved watching the evolution of this game and being part of it. I have played since becoming a founder in 2011 and I remember how it was, this was totally a gamer's dream that lived off of Diablo 2 for over 12 years and filled the gap that Diablo 3 was supposed to. Good times, I remember farming felshrine ruins nonstop on merciless as it was one of the easiest and best ways to yield gains haha... good times.
good read

"

I vividly remember the meeting we had where we first discussed this idea of content difficulty entitlement. The word "entitlement" usually has massively negative connotations, but it is a very accurate description of the situation that was occurring. It was quite frustrating, watching people intentionally sabotage their own progression and then getting angry about it.

its telling more about the gamers' mindset of today

in 1998, players would play Baldurs Gate and quickly discover that you can go to any areas, but the enemies in a lot of areas would eat you for breakfast. through some trial and error, player would be directed through paths he could actually go through. today, companies feel like a gamer should be handheld, and god forbid if hes not and wanders too far away with high level mobs- you will hear his angry cries. the entitlement is real.

"
Those players that could kill monsters quickly worked out the best farming areas that had a combination of weak monster AI and linear layouts. The Ledge was a great example of this.

nothing have really changed much though. you introduced some very powerful artificial constraints like sextants but in the end only very few factors (including sextants) determine which maps/areas to farm.
Last edited by grepman on Jan 12, 2018, 2:02:27 AM
"
Sarno wrote:
"
Bex_GGG wrote:
It was quite frustrating, watching people intentionally sabotage their own progression and then getting angry about it.

"
Bex_GGG wrote:
We needed to find a system that made players feel good about playing at the right level for their progression.

Didn’t you also have this problem with players feeling they “should” play Hardcore?

I get the hardcore players. I do that for plenty of single player games.....but the thought of lagging out/crashing and dying makes me never do that for an online game.
It's funny how the same old issues rear their head time and time again. That issue with the end game being stale and repetitive is alive and well in the v3.1 version of maps -- even with nearly 160 to choose from.

In fact, it's far stronger than any other method of farming. Sextants, shaped maps, Elder/Shaper influence swapping, the Atlas bonus not making that much of a difference, map bosses not being rewarding, and divination cards all make running one map the best way to play. Whether or not you like it is irrelevant; it's the objectively "right" way to play PoE. Fixing this is the next big design challenge for the map system.

Is it bad that I kinda want the old Maelstrom back? I didn't start until v1.0 so I didn't get to play it, but given the current situation with the Atlas and it being balanced around exploiting sextants and shaped maps, I kinda want something simpler.
https://redd.it/p0hyul
"
It's always been great to see you guys give little insights and stories of how the game has developed.

Quick feedback though; I feel this passage:
"
Chris wrote:
I doubt anyone in our community would disagree, but some Action RPG developers don't realise this and launch with a static world. Having random level layouts, random monsters and random events that occur within those levels means that players can repeat the same content over and over without feeling the same level of repetition that they would if the area was exactly the same each time.
...would be better without that first sentence. You'd express the same justification of your design, but without throwing other devs under the bus and treating your views as some kind of truth that others don't "realise".

Anyway, thanks, keep it up :)

Completely agree. It was unusually...zero-sum of Chris to say that. That and I found myself somewhat disagreeing because I still play the *shit* out of Titan Quest and it has static levels. Endlessly Random Levels don't mean diddly squat if the only way to get through them is a tightly focused meta that is unrewarding to play in its bot-like repetition.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Jan 12, 2018, 2:10:08 AM
"
FadeXF wrote:
2) Why is T10+ just so inaccessible without "buying" access from other players? Why is it GGG development angle to keep high level players (90+) stagnant in T10 and under maps? I would LOVE to hear a completely logical, irrefutable reasoning from GGG directly on this one actually... THAT is a thread I would love to read and have an open dialogue with GGG directly about. It just doesn't make sense to me that should we base things off randomness... that while a lot of players may experience good map drops, there are others (myself - sadly - included) who just cannot for the life of them sustain T10+ maps... content that is actually suited to the power level of my characters.

WHY is it that GGG is perfectly ok with level 90s being stagnant in T10 and under content - "kiddie pool" content - instead of the actual end game maps?

I totally agree on this. I am running every map rare but still I see no progression into higher tiers so buying is the only option to progress. With the war of the atlas going on and having to replay all kinds of maps to fight the elder and the shaper people hold on to their maps instead of selling cheap. I do like the fact that you “need” to run all kinds of maps for this reason as it makes the mapping system more diverse. However, since the map drops are still based on the old situation it is just harder to get higher tier maps. The new map stash tab also doesn’t help. I love it and any half serious player should have one but it also means people just chunk all their maps in this tab and have no need to clean up space and sell or give away maps. This is further supported by the fact that our guild’s map stash is dramatically empty. Last league it was stuffed with up to T9 maps and even t10 and 11 later in the league.

What keeps us playing is the sense of progression and I can’t help escape the feeling I am somewhat stuck. People that can play many hours a day will make enough currency to buy whatever they need but for people with a day job and a family, who just want to play a few hours it’s not possible to sustain and build a higher tier map pool. Worst thing is running one of your very few (corrupted) T11 maps and coming out with only 1 T4 map. The number of maps dropped is still acceptable I guess, I do walk away with like 4 or 5 maps sometimes when running a T8 map but the chance for a higher level map to drop should be buffed. It’s ok to grind a bit to build a map pool but a larger portion should drop a higher tier. Boss rewards in terms of maps are also disappointing. When defeating a map boss the ground is littered with rares but maps are rare and same or higher tier maps from a boss even rarer. Why not make it so that defeating the map boss gives a guaranteed map drop of the same tier with a chance for a higher tier map drop. This will contribute to the sense of progression a lot and prevent the feeling of backward progression when seeing very low tier maps drop from one of your highest tier maps.
You don’t stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.
Last edited by JohnnyV76 on Jan 12, 2018, 2:17:15 AM
I love developer commentary, thanks for this!
"
Orca_Orcinus wrote:
I am not happy about this at all, and I'm getting pretty fn frustrated with GGG- Rory and Chris in particular.

"
I vividly remember the meeting we had where we first discussed this idea of content difficulty entitlement. The word "entitlement" usually has massively negative connotations, but it is a very accurate description of the situation that was occurring. It was quite frustrating, watching people intentionally sabotage their own progression and then getting angry about it. Eventually we realised the truth: the game design was at fault and needed to change. We needed to find a system that made players feel good about playing at the right level for their progression.

This is the verbiage of a group of people that are divorced from Reality.

Chris can't be trusted not to lie nor not to just make up his own reality ad hoc and then hoist it on the rest of us as if tho we can't see what's actually happening, to wit these releases- the incoherent ramblings of deranged lunatics.

GGG can do as they please, and yes ofc they don't need me to say this, for just as I can do as I please, so too can Rory and Chris. More power to 'em.

But the game (not GGG as a company, here I'm discussing the role-playing game) does have a core philosophy of incrementally becoming more and more difficult, more and more obtuse, more and more unwieldy, and then more and more discriminatory in who sees the end-game.

This is their core game philosophy, and so this then means no tutorials, no logs, no paper doll, no target dummies, no back-tracking, no learning from mistakes, no learning-over-time, no incremental progression, no recourse for events outside the player's possible capability to play around, let alone plan for, and ofc no other way to progress than a) find what you need as a drop (not going to happen, e.g. SSF) or scam it off other players (there's actually also a third way, the most powerful way to progress, but mentioning it would get this post removed, and it's existance is ruining the game for reasons you can see below) no trading in-game, no item valuating in-game, and no item modifier range information in-game, no mob information, no information about summons, no information about modifiers and support gems that trigger or are conditional upon another event's occurrence.

This also means that there _is_ introduced into the game such dumb-ass shit as allowing scamming, preventing scammers from being name-shamed, allowing people to use that 3rd mentioned above method of item-acquisition to manipulate the economy affecting 100k+ people, preventing people using that 3rd method above from being punished, and being deliberately obsequious by adding in non-game enhancing crap such as burning ground (forcibly removed by Microsoft from the xBox 1 version, since it is DESIGNED to kill frames), water droplets on windows (did you even know that's a thing in Poe? It certainly is, and I'm sure you're also excited to know GGG wasted resources on water droplets on window panes...), netcode that was not viable for a single person game in 1995 let alone a multiple-server enterprise in 2018, no sliders on speculars, actually no sliders anywhere for that matter, creating a packed mega-file that has to be unpacked on the fly to be used, then separate folders for map hashes and shader. aoc files that are entirely too large for the info they convey, a 3D positional audio system that has been changed many times over the last 6 years, and is still not implemented so it doesn't cause crashing, refusal to allow DX 9 to unhook from the various crap that Poe runs when the executable terminates (regardless of how it terminates) so it takes minutes upon minutes for the cache to be free of the bloat Poe put there, and then forcing persons to dredge through logging in char select, city zone-in, hideout zone-in, map zone-in, force to walk to your abyssal depths, then finally zone into that upon abnormal termination.

The above paragraph is not, sadly, even a comprehensive list of the deliberately-included impediments to progression and experiencing of the end-game GGG has implemented.

Again, more power to Chris and Rory, the accounting firm they hired to run actuarial figures on whales and MTX purchase is all they care about. And again, it's their game, and they gon' continue to do as they please.

But don't sit here pissing on our parade, and then exclaim out loud how heavily it's raining. It's very infuriating.

OP The least you can do is tell the truth and not outright lie.

There are no pay to win elements in this game,at least none that are designed or sanctioned by GGG. All micro-transactions are cosmetic. Selling accounts is illegal and not sanctioned by GGG or the community in general.

You say that there are no tutorials. That's a lie as well you get the option to turn them off right at the start of the game.

You say there is no info available about this games machaincs. That's also a blatant lie. There is an entire wiki dedicated to it.Not to mention YouTube videos and twitch streams.

You will say something like "I shouldn't have to use a wiki. Or watch a video" To which I will respond,no you don't i'm living proof of this. I started in hardcore mode,I have never played standered mode. I learned what works and what does not,by dieing over and over and figuring out the how and why.

Now I understand that is not enjoyable for some people,this is why standered mode exists. There is little to no penalty for dieing in that mode from what I understand. If that's the case your complaints make even less sense.

Your comments about the visual effects are an absolute cop out,used in place of any real arguments as well.

However I understand. Consoles are really really bad for most games,it doesn't surprise me consoles have these frame rate problems. I'm glad i play on PC. I have a gameing PC, However I know that even low end PCs can run this game at low settings. I also don't think making this game look pretty is a waste of resources at all. As I said,I die many many times over,so i make very slow act progress. This makes each new act area look astonishing to me. The detail in these areas is wonderful. Its a large part of the draw for me,I tend to stay away from youtube videos for that very reason. I don't want to be spoiled. For me and many others the small details in this games visuals are a MAJOR part of the games charm.

I can't help but think,this game may not be for you? Perhaps you should go play a game like diablo 3 or some other mindlessly easy cookie clicker game that holds your hand every step of the way.

I'm also confused as to why you would post such a long post on this forum when you clearly do not like the game? Why not go play something you enjoy?

Last edited by TheBonezKittah on Jan 12, 2018, 3:06:35 AM
"
"
It's always been great to see you guys give little insights and stories of how the game has developed.

Quick feedback though; I feel this passage:
"
Chris wrote:
I doubt anyone in our community would disagree, but some Action RPG developers don't realise this and launch with a static world. Having random level layouts, random monsters and random events that occur within those levels means that players can repeat the same content over and over without feeling the same level of repetition that they would if the area was exactly the same each time.
...would be better without that first sentence. You'd express the same justification of your design, but without throwing other devs under the bus and treating your views as some kind of truth that others don't "realise".

Anyway, thanks, keep it up :)

Completely agree. It was unusually...zero-sum of Chris to say that. That and I found myself somewhat disagreeing because I still play the *shit* out of Titan Quest and it has static levels. Endlessly Random Levels don't mean diddly squat if the only way to get through them is a tightly focused meta that is unrewarding to play in its bot-like repetition.

Heh, that, the lack of progression throught the journey from 1 to 100 post storyline content, especially for those artificially walled last few levels, having end game content scarce and over-relying on "trading" or "RNG crafting" aka gambling to provide us humble "hamsters" with "worthwhile upgrades" instead of just "throwing" some well deserved "rewards" for actually overcoming dangerous opponents, once in a while to make you still "feel" progression, still give the feeling that PoE has a lot of place for further improvements...

GGG can't seem to stop themselves to add "moar" content, "moar" RNG, "moar" shallow diversity...

They might be taking things "a notch too much" from my humble perspective, and the worst aspect is that all those unaddressed QoL or "unfinished" and "unpolished" content are letting systematically down the invested long time players, that expected a lot fewer compromises and a more consistent involvment at times regarding certain aspects like "balance"...

Although I'm very grateful to GGG for PoE even in it's current iteration, I can't help but wonder if wouldn't different choices at certain "forks" past or future make PoE even more epic and enjoyable...
PSS: Our almighty TencentGGG overlords are very scrupulous regarding criticizing their abilities to take proper decisions and consider everything "needlessly harsh and condescending"...

Good to know "free speech" doesn't apply in any form or manner on the forums these days...
Last edited by sofocle10000 on Jan 12, 2018, 3:10:25 AM
Thanks for the article, Bexx.
A lot of people feel now, that you have somehow ruined the mapping system in 3.1 since you decided to make higher map drops a lot less likely than before.
For the first time since you introduced the Atlas, I personally ran out of my endgame maps, so T16 and even t15. Why did you decide to make it that hard to find new maps for these tiers? I have completely used all my old maps and the small amount of new maps that I got in return is gone as well. How are we now supposed to play the endgame? Pay 30c for a single map?

You need to rethink that decision....

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info