Movies we recommend

"
de99ial wrote:
"
Crackmonster wrote:

Knowledge --> Understanding --> Wisdom

Information - > Understanding - > Knowledge -> Action - > Wisdom as effect of actions.

Imo knowledge is result of ability to learn, while wisdom is ability to be connected with "self". In that regards wisdom can be and is in many cases shaped by experience/cognition, but knowledge is not necessary to have/be wisdom as in fact wisdom can "predict" experience/knowledge we are going to get. In that theory we can see small child much wiser than older people. Usually who is stupid, is stupid whole life, who is wise, will get wiser. Wisdom we usually can recognize in people who take care about themselves and others, while is absent in people who for example are using other to fulfill some purposes and than we talk about them as smart or clever etc.

Back to topic:

Sicario - imo about how world works - idealists vs realists.

Killing Them Softly - its not as attractive but has its point. Not only USA this days.

There Will be Blood - epic.

The Seventh Seal - .. how to play chess with death..

Valley of the Bees - another movie from middle age.. but that one is crazy

Marketa Lazarova - another movie from Frantisek Vlacil.. that director was genius..

Witchhammer - inquisition

Last edited by Rexeos on Dec 21, 2017, 10:27:07 AM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2278388/
The Grand Budspest Hotel

For when you're in the mood for the sublime.
[quote="Lovecraftuk"]I think the new meta is everyone bitching about the new league. [/quote]
"
de99ial wrote:

The Coming War on China (2016)

I have seen it. Another good movie from Pilger.

First railroads in US was new for me as I tough it was based on gold mainly. Bikini.. yeah, brainwashing in action.
Oh, yeah Grand Budapest is a great film (except for F Murray Abraham whom I despise).

Another REAL oldie that this reminded me of is Grand Hotel which won Best Picture in 1932. Still a great film despite its age. Anyway, see it.
Censored.
I enjoyed Devil's Rejects a lot!
"
Rexeos wrote:

Imo knowledge is result of ability to learn, while wisdom is ability to be connected with "self". In that regards wisdom can be and is in many cases shaped by experience/cognition, but knowledge is not necessary to have/be wisdom as in fact wisdom can "predict" experience/knowledge we are going to get. In that theory we can see small child much wiser than older people. Usually who is stupid, is stupid whole life, who is wise, will get wiser. Wisdom we usually can recognize in people who take care about themselves and others, while is absent in people who for example are using other to fulfill some purposes and than we talk about them as smart or clever etc.

I think its semantics in this way but instead renaming things we should reach to old and tested terminology.

There is the stream of informations. There are many of them. Our Consciesness is some sortf of filter of those - we choose to what stream we connect and what streams we avoid and thet we filter it. The streams that flow throught us are information that need to be understood and that process changes information into knowledge. Then we choose to act on that knowledge or not to act based on knowledge. And what we get as effect of our actions is wisdom - the reality we create. And by that i mean do we take care about self and others or do we use others or we get used by others. Wisodm exackly how You described. The stupid thing is learned because each person has the same potential but the problem is do we actualize it? To do so we need some sort of order and Understanding and this - Understanding - is something we have within. It cannot be offered, forced or given. It is internal process on which we depend all.

;)

To topic recommendations

The Red Pill (2016)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3686998/
Last edited by de99ial on Dec 22, 2017, 3:52:38 AM
"
cipher_nemo wrote:

The sequels ruined the franchise for many of the core fans, myself included, but I still watch the original Matrix at least once a year. I forget about the sequels, I forget about the memes, I forget about all of their fanfare, games, etc., and put myself back into that pre-millennium mindset to just enjoy the journey again.

good for you man, and I mean that honestly. Its hard to not be a cynic now days, theres a lot of good quality entertainment out there that most of us just cant let go and enjoy because weve just got so jaded over the years. Its a blessing to be able to just dump the baggage and be able to enjoy things.

"
Rexeos wrote:

Sicario - imo about how world works - idealists vs realists.

There Will be Blood - epic.

such good films. I loved sicario.

there will be blood tho... man, when that film ended I was literally laughing out loud at how great it was, it was absurdly good. Its so dark, that character was just an abyss. I love that in a film, music too, the ability to just be so cold, such a void, disturbingly inhuman.

"
鬼殺し wrote:
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:

If you havent read them, from a sci fi perspective I think everything good in the matrix was essentially lifted from 3 books which did them a lot better, an awful lot better for my money. 'Neuromancer' by William Gibson, and to a larger extent imo 'Hyperion' and 'Fall of Hyperion' by Dan Simmons. I dunno if ur a book guy but theyre worth a bash if you liked the matrix.

for me the 2 hyperion books really hammer home how you can take that war for the fate of humanity waged across time, space and cyberspace dragging in the religious and political scope of human culture and add in wayyyy more stuff than the matrix did and yet pull it off in the grandest of fashions where matrix was left looking like a 14 year old clumsily waffling out bong philosophy in comparison. The matrix essentially attempted to steal maybe 1/4 of that book duos contents and then collapsed under its weight, at least thats how it felt to me.

Eerie. I'm about 80% through Rise of Endymion right now. And so as not to derail: I hear someone wants to make a Hyperion tv show. That'd be ambitious but could be amazing. I'd add Snow Crash to the list of 'books to read if you felt the Matrix was trying way too hard'. I wish The Matrix didn't exist if only because it means we'd probably have a Snow Crash movie by now.

Ok ill respond in spoiler for offtopic, but discussion board and discussion is good so...

Spoiler

you know what, Ive only made it about 1/3 of the way through rise of endymion. In my typical idiot way Id read the hyperions before but not the endymions, so I went for all 4 books in a row and ended up putting rise down for a few weeks, fell out of step and thought, like I often do, Ill just go back and read all 4 books in a row again in a few years time rather than retrace my steps though it now, and having not finished it that will be something to look forward to when I come back to it.

In terrible for doing this, list of series where I havent actually finished the last book and Im sort of saving it for a future reread...

dune by herbert
culture by iain m banks
nights dawn by peter hamilton
hyperion by dan simmons

...come on, some of those are my favourite sci fi series and Ive not even finished the last book, I dunno whats wrong with me tbh. Culture is a particularly hard one to get from book 1 page 1 to book...whatever, 10? 11? I dont even know. A hyperion tv show could be amazing, probably impossible to really live up to the books for me but thats fine, as long as its a decent shot at it.

but ya, I loved the first 2 hyperion books. Youre more of a booky than me charan, probably more of an educated take on books in general then myself Id think, what was your take on them? This the first time youre going through hyperion and endymion or is this a revisit?

I havent read snow crash, this is something I have to find a way to crowbar into my life I take it?

Arrival (2016)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2543164/

Worth watching.
"
Shovelcut wrote:
"
diablofdb wrote:
Leon the professional

Great movie, you'll want to skip the directors cut (international version). It's got a super creepy pedo vibe...unless that's your thing. :/

The theatrical version is great though.

From what I've read, that version was the original intent of the movie. I used to like the movie before reading that. Haven't watched it since, as I will probably see a lot of the interactions in a different light and it will ruin my memory of the film.

The Unforgiven is worth watching for those that haven't seen it.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105695/

"
鬼殺し wrote:
Thought I was the only one out there who liked The Messenger.

It's really well done. I wasn't happy about Milla's gorgeous locks being chopped off, but it made perfect sense from the story line. Some of the scenes are truly brilliant in their pacing and the way the sound and visuals bring them home.

If only I had a backyard big enough for a trebuchet.
PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
Last edited by DalaiLama on Jan 12, 2018, 6:30:07 AM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
But I digress. The redpill on the original meaning of the redpill is: it's a sex change operation. And yes, there is a certain enjoyable irony in how the Right has yet again taken one of the Left's terms and turned it against them.

The Red Pill in the Matric may indeed mean that, but the inspiration goes further back, to the origin of the Blue Pill, in Saturn III.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EZlXDZKHg0
PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info