If the net neutrality repeal vote goes through

"
1453R wrote:
Sure, why not. I'm pissed off enough and work is slow enough I can indulge in some more angerposting.

"
JNF wrote:

1) "Blah, blah, blah, capitalism is da debil, blah, blah, blah..."

Capitalism is not the Devil. It is, to the best of my knowledge, the only currently known form of human society that gives the people living in that society a real stake in said society. If you're clever, innovative, or even just persistent enough, you can Make It Big. That's the principle behind capitalism and the free market.

This system relies on a certain set of assumptions that very large multinational corporations have been doing their absolute goddamned best to circumvent since they became a thing. For one, it relies on all possible competitors in the market having free and equal access to the market. If you can't participate in the market in the first place (POSSIBLY BECAUSE OH SAY i DUNNO A BIG TELECOM COMPANY USES THEIR NEWFOUND ABSOLUTE POWER OVER THE INTERNET TO BLOCK EVERYTHING YOU DO), then you can't compete no matter how clever or innovative your idea might be.

For another, it relies on large, established companies being unable to tamper with the actions of smaller, newer start-ups - i.e. their competition. Again, this is free access to the market; if you start a lemonade stand on a street corner somewhere, you're supposed to have a good-faith guarantee that Minute Maid or Tropicana or whatever aren't going to send pinstriped goons to bust up your stand and force you out of the market through coercive or threatening means. Big companies don't get to punch out small ones; they have to compete fairly.

We have just told Big Telecom they can do whatever they like to smaller competitive companies that try to start up. Big Telecom doesn't have to compete for shit. Want to block their website or services from your system, ensuring it's almost impossible for that competitor to reach the market? Ajit Pai says go for it! Want to deny that competitor service in the first place, block or just outright delete any/all of their data that goes through your nodes at all, and make it impossible for them to function until they can get off the ground. Pai says no problemo, Verizon!

This is equivalent to Chevy being granted free permission to station armed guardsmen outside the entranceways to all car dealerships in the United States, Chevy or not, and give those guards free permission to shotgun anyone who tries to enter a dealership other than Chevy. How well do you figure the other manufacturers could compete with Chevy if Chevy was allowed to physically deny people any access to their locations?

"
JNF wrote:

2) How do any smaller companies start out?

Building a brick-and-mortar consumer product store is different than building a nationwide network of exceptionally expensive electronics from scratch. Even if you had the scratch to do that, the actual backbone of the Internet is under the exclusive control of Big Telecom, and they can simply decide that your big shiny new network with all the improved infrastructure and enhanced service capability you just poured your heart, soul, and a mind-blowing amount of money you probably put yourself and your family in hock for a million years to raise don't get to have access to the fundamental backbone equipment that actually runs the Internet. Because that equipment is theirs, and they are no longer legally obligated to provide equal access to it.

This is exempting the fact that private business are typically not permitted by law to build utility infrastructure, as utility infrastructure is protected and regulated by the government. Except when stupid assholes decide to get rid of the "regulated" part, leaving the "protected" part and sticking us all with a bunch of uncontrolled monopolies.

"
JNF wrote:

3) Billions of dollars of infrastructure? LOL

How expensive do you think all of the physical equipment required to build and maintain the Internet is, Junior Nevada Farmer? All of that equipment is "the Infrastructure"; it's the stuff we've got that's old and shitty compared to most other first-world or emerging nations because it's not in Big Telecom's best interest to upgrade it. Because overhauling the infrastructure is a colossally expensive undertaking even for people with the effectively infinite financial resources these guys have.

You don't just write a program on the Internet and become an ISP. You have to build the equipment. And building the equipment is prohibitively expensive for any startup company, even if they had legal permission to try.

Anything else, Jumping Newt Fraternity?

I have a pretty hard time taking you seriously and actually responding seriously to you when you use baseless assumptions and provide nothing concrete, much like the rest of the pro-Net Neutrality crowd. Also, how childish are you when you label people after a page long rant?

You didn't answer my question about how other smaller companies get into the market and eventually compete.

You threw a ridiculous number out there (billions of dollars) with no actual proof of that being an realistic number.

And you went on about the 'big, bad corporations', as if capitalism were the source of all evil, then rebutted yourself with 'capitalism is the only way.'

I can't take you seriously enough to actually reply with any significant degree of effort, because this 'jumping newt fraterity' (whatever the fuck that means) has better things to do with his time.
Still in the alpha stage, but at least build diversity isn't an issue: https://wolcengame.com/home/
Last edited by JNF on Dec 15, 2017, 6:51:17 PM
"
Cataca wrote:
Not an expert on ISPs in america at all, but IIRC the issue with letting competition regulate the ISP market is that in most of the regions of america you can choose between your ISP and fuck all.

What's the point of describing possible regulations and countries where actually the problem was solved :P?

It's amazing to read this threads because it's not like it's impossible to go and read about things outside US. Here is a list of countries by internet speed, start from here. Funnily enough Sweden and Denmark do capitalism better than the US.

Bitching about markets it's more or less futile. So being cynical about regulations. The tragedy is that leftwingers laser focus on a regulation without understanding its drawbacks nor researching alternatives and that rightwingers more or less don't care about market failures and rarely advocate deregulation where it matters.
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942
Last edited by NeroNoah on Dec 15, 2017, 7:12:33 PM
"
NeroNoah wrote:

What's the point of describing possible regulations and countries where actually the problem was solved :P?

It's amazing to read this threads because it's not like it's impossible to go and read about things outside US.

Bitching about markets it's more or less futile. So being cynical about regulations. The tragedy is that leftwingers laser focus on a regulation without understanding its drawbacks nor researching alternatives and that rightwingers more or less don't care about market failures and rarely advocate deregulation where it matters.

It's surprisingly difficult to find valid, objective information in the United States. Our media machine is so crooked and opportunistic that one can rarely trust anything they say without at least two bits of independent corroboration, at least when it comes to portrayal of overseas institutions or information. Some of them make an effort, but even the better ones are entirely too prone to sensationalism and jumping the gun. A statement I'm fully aware is going to be turned around and fired at my ass, and for those of who you intend to do so: I don't really care.

Some of us trawl the PoE forums primarily from work, where our wide research potential is limited. It's difficult for me to go and dig up four or five semi-credible sources that are close enough to agreement to provide a reasonably trustworthy picture of the Internet handling practices of a few dozen overseas nations, sadly. Equally sad is the truth that no amount of research on this subject matters; our own FCC has clearly not done this research and is going to disregard the vast majority of the country's fervent wishes to fuck us all over regardless.

To be clear, I believe both political parties are full of manure; they've backed each other so far into their extremist corners (and managed to circle-jerk their way into getting the same set of ninety-year-old mummies elected for so long) that they're all bloody useless. I'm not "left" or "right" - I'm "The only people who have any bloody chance of stopping the Businessmen from burning the world down so they can charge people for the heat are the Politicians, except the Politicians are too busy being bought and sold by the Businessmen because we fucked up and let that be a thing so I hope you brought some savings and a bag of marshmallows because we're all friggin' fucked".
Last edited by 1453R on Dec 15, 2017, 7:16:14 PM
Media is not that bad in the US. Some of the best newspapers exist there (although some high level garbage alongside it).

Go to reddit, there are economists there (/r/askeconomics or /r/badeconomics are good places to go). You can read papers and all that stuff too.

And you are a leftwinger, definitively :P But then again, what left and right mean this days?
Last edited by NeroNoah on Dec 15, 2017, 7:30:25 PM
"
NeroNoah wrote:
"
Cataca wrote:
Not an expert on ISPs in america at all, but IIRC the issue with letting competition regulate the ISP market is that in most of the regions of america you can choose between your ISP and fuck all.

It's amazing to read this threads because it's not like it's impossible to go and read about things outside US. Here is a list of countries by internet speed, start from here. Funnily enough Sweden and Denmark do capitalism better than the US.

Nothing what you say has anything to do with what i say.

What i say is: Hoping that natural competition is going to regulate prices in a market where there is virtually no competition is like throwing sharks with laser-turrets into the sea, hoping that natural selection is going to regulate their spread.

What you say is: But the EU has a healthy ISP market. Also regulations.

Well, duh.
I have a suspicion your all chasing smoke and mirrors. The real kick isn't the deregulation of the market, it's the reclassification. Your ISP is no longer a telecommunications carrier.

This is far worse than paying more for your service.

If you can't figure out why, have a look at who actually owns the media, and how they are limited by the number of Telco carriers they can own. Oh... and read the ToS for all your online media (facebook, instagram et al) and see who actually owns your posts/images/data. I'll give you a hint - it isn't you!

As for people bitching about the "billions of dollars" and how its impossible for new startup - go read how the internet evolved. I'm actually old enough to remember dialing into a FreeBSB while at uni connecting via FTP (yes, its a real thing) to the local university network, and then accessing AARNET (Australian Academic Research Network) which was a feed from DARPANet, which was in turn an evolution from the boffins at CERN (can't remember their acronym sorry). The internet then evolved when another boffin at CERN thought up HTML, and then small ISP's were able to rent bandwidth on the copper network so you could dial up to them instead of a dodgy BSB. Anyone younger than 30 years of age really has no clue what the bad old days were like.

And those arguing the capitalism is a good thing and how the market will get better - go look in your local supermarket, then go to a competitors chain. Notice everything is always the same price? Funny that hey.

tl;dr The internet exists cause a bunch of scientists didn't want to wait for the post to send data via 720kb floppy disks. Neutrality is a good thing.

Peace,
Matt.
There are 10 types of people. Those that know binary, and those that dont.
This is Day 2 without Net Neutrality. I will be posting in this thread every day until all the doom and gloom that the left promised would happen actually does happen. Remember, we were told our internet will now come in packages and we will have to pay every time we dl something or post on a forum. As of today that has not happened. So far they are liars. We'll see how tomorrow goes.
The reality is probably, in 6 months times, no one will even remember it was gone, just like no one knew it was there in first place.

If for the rare case the doom & gloom become reailty, as the doommongers said, then you can go & rally & protest!

If so
a) The current admin will restate & do something about it, in order not to lose next election.

or

b) If Democrats are smart, they will use NN restate as a political argument to win in 2018 & 2020, & it will be a big winning point (if the doom & groom become real)

so at worst you suffer from 1-3 years of "Internet Death".

But if you ask me, I am willing to put 1/2 my ife saving nothing drastic will happen in the notable future.

Last edited by KiadawP on Dec 16, 2017, 9:22:55 AM
"
Cataca wrote:
What i say is: Hoping that natural competition is going to regulate prices in a market where there is virtually no competition is like throwing sharks with laser-turrets into the sea, hoping that natural selection is going to regulate their spread.

Well, duh.

No, what I said there are ways to actually make things competitive. I didn't assume competition from the start. This makes your point moot.
Last edited by NeroNoah on Dec 16, 2017, 9:37:31 AM
"
NeroNoah wrote:
"
Cataca wrote:

Well, duh.

No, what I said there are ways to actually make things competitive. I didn't assume competition from the start. This makes your point moot.

You make zero sense.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info