The Fire and Ice Mystery Box

Looks good, when prices will be more friendly? :D
Necropolis master craft service Necropolis My IGN TreeOfDead
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2037371 Vouch
Necropolis veiled crafting all service all crafts mods
Necropolis SC master craft service Necropolis SC craft mod!
Veiled crafting Service Necropolis craft PM: TreeOfDead
20 box gave me:

Fire weapon effect
Fire Helmet
Fire Horns
Fire footprints
Fire portal
Fire character effect
Fire golem effect

Ice cloak
Ice Wings
Ice horns
Ice boots
Ice footprints
Ice portal
Ice frog

x2 Fire gale
Fire Bricks
Frozen Corpses
x2 Ice Bricks
Last edited by CallMeUnique on Dec 15, 2017, 10:32:49 AM
I really wish you would increase the box price and make it unable to generate duplicates until all box items have been collected.

Every time I buy these, it's a bad experience.
It's making me want to stop supporting entirely.
I cannot understand this shit talk here.
It is your choice to buy these boxes or not, noone is forcing you to do it.
I guess that everyone knows how mystery boxes work, so do not be so suprised when u get some crap from 50 boxes and other guy gets pretty nice gear from 5 or 10, because it is all about the luck.

And some math for people who demand no duplicates:
38 items x 30 points = 1140 points
all stuff in boxes is worth 5130 points
So, it would be great business for GGG.

I bought 20 boxes and I am pretty happy with the loot.
If you are interested, see below screens :^)
https://prnt.sc/hpcnbg
https://prnt.sc/hpcnk2
https://prnt.sc/hpcnvu
https://prnt.sc/hpcnyp
+ 2 x ice bricks

Have a nice day! :^)
The ice effects are so unnoticeable compared to the fire effects... sort it out ffs.
From 9 Boxes:

2 Fire Bricks
1 Ice Gale

Ice Gloves
Ice Horns

Fire Tiger
Ice Tiger

2 Fire Shields

The most disappointing purchase that I have ever made in a free to play game. Why on earth would I ever be able to get 2 Fire Shields, when the maximum number of shields that could ever be equipped is 1? That is literally a dead $3 and is honestly unacceptable.

The fire bricks look absolutely atrocious. At least the gale looks cool. The lava bricks are just red objects that sit there and do nothing and don't even look interesting whatsoever.

The pets, though they look all right, just add lag to a game that already suffers from lag issues. I can't even equip them when I run maps or anything else for fear of adding lag.

There are so many cool things in this box. Unfortunately, there is no way to reroll stuff you don't like, and there is no protection against duplicates.

Will never, ever buy loot boxes in this game again, and I highly discourage anyone from buying them as well. A true disappointment from a company I thought was better than the rest of the cash grabbers.
Last edited by TheRealTuna on Dec 20, 2017, 8:37:03 PM
I mean you buy the boxes to have a chance to get things that will be guaranteed at a higher price at a guaranteed later date to get them earlier and for less.

And then you have the audacity to complain about greed.

Ahaha. People. What is irony? What is self awareness?

Last edited by TemptedNZ on Dec 20, 2017, 11:50:54 PM
I mean, you are right about one thing - I should have known better than to think GGG's loot boxes were any less disappointing than loot boxes in any other games.

I figured that, since it would make absolutely no sense to be able to get dupes of something like a shield (of which you can only ever equip one), that there is no way duplicate items would be included. Unfortunately, GGG doesn't care about logic, and doesn't even provide people a way to reroll duplicates...so now it will just sit there for all time as a tribute to a wasted $3. A literal, absolute waste.

You might argue that it is stated on the main page that duplicates are possible. While that is true (and is a tiny component of the overall post, advertising how great the boxes are statistically! lmfao), this is not mentioned anywhere in the in-game micro-transaction store. Just typical, misleading garbage situated in a way in which they can simply say "well, it's on the main page" if someone doesn't realize it is possible to get dupes.

You can white knight all you want, but the way these boxes are currently presented is both intentionally misleading and inherently money-grubbing. They claim that the boxes are statistically worthwhile from a cost-benefit perspective and that is just not the case, and especially in my case where I actually got all garbage loot and dupes.

To make these boxes more fair and more satisfying to purchase, they need to not contain dupes, and this can be offset by a slight price bump.

Until they make this change, I will never buy another loot box and no one else should either.

If you really think that this set up by GGG is not greedy, then you sadly do not have any actual understanding of how statistics work and how GGG's micro-transaction shop is set up. Your argument is that the boxes provide a chance to get things that will be priced higher later for a cheaper price now...but the reality is one piece of armor costs $32 (lmao), and each "cheap attempt" at this armor is $3, which is already expensive on its own. That is greedy, but in a manipulative way because it creates the illusion of providing "cheap rolls" at items that will be priced higher later. If you haven't noticed that, then you are exactly in the position that GGG wants you to be in.

Also, with $30, you have 10 "cheap rolls". According to their ratios, from 10 rolls, you will receive 2 rares on average. There are 14 rares. The odds for getting something specific that you want are minimal. While their claim of gaining something of greater value according to the statistics is accurate, trying to get something specific from these boxes is going to overall be significantly more expensive. Saying that these boxes are statistically more "valuable" is misleading, because what you get in value may not be what you actually care to get, in which case you'd have to wait to pay $32 for a piece of armor (lmao) or get roped into spamming loot boxes till you get what you want.

In my case, I would have been happy with a number of things. Unfortunately, I didn't get any of them. But the worst thing is that I got dupes, which is insanely unsatisfying to open when spending real money.

You talk about self-awareness but don't even realize what GGG is doing yourself.

Hahaha. People. What is white knighting? What is self awareness?
You're pretty smug for a guy who is upset they got exactly what they paid for and then ironically packed a sad about greed because they didn't win in a lootbox gamble.

I know exactly what GGG are doing. Your perspective on it isn't fact. It's an opinion.

As an aside it's just soooooo easy to call GGG greedy now days isn't it? At the time PoE was released the price structuring was a huge gamble with absolutely no guarantee of success. To complain about it now is so enjoyably 20/20 hindsight. How smug one can be about their "greed" because they are still around.

Enjoy your sulking.
Last edited by TemptedNZ on Dec 21, 2017, 2:43:46 AM
It's not about winning or losing the loot box gamble. It's about the gamble being set up in a misleading way from the beginning. It's about GGG not including the "there are duplicates" clause in their micro-transaction store, where people are actually going to view and buy the product. Any logical thinker is going to think that there is no way you could get a duplicate of something like a shield skin because it is literally impossible to put both skins to use at the same time which means that if one were ever to get two it would be useless in the most literal sense possible. It is just misleading, plain and simple, and I am sure that they have done this intentionally. Their "statistically you'll win!!!" clause is also extremely misleading, especially when it is compounded with the fact that you can get dupes. This is all blatantly obvious to anyone who isn't hell-bent on white-knighting for GGG.

My RNG sucks and has always sucked and will never stop sucking. Anything involving RNG is something I will lose. This was never about me being mad because of my "not winning" as much as it is me being mad about a totally unsatisfying experience. I can accept pulling 5 items I hate from a randomized box, but pulling those same 5 items in the next 5 boxes, for example, is just a miserable experience that deters one from ever investing in that package again. You could say, "just save up for the item you want then!", but at a cost of $32 per piece of armor, that is a total and complete rip-off and not worth the investment whatsoever. It is much more appealing to throw $3 at a chance to get something cool, but as long as dupes exist, that prospect is equally as atrocious as paying an enormous lump sum for a single cosmetic piece. It is also worth noting that in any other game that has loot boxes, if you get a dupe, you are instead rewarded with a bit of currency so that you at least get something instead of absolutely nothing which is what happens currently in this game.

In reality, I paid ~$27 for 9 pulls, 3-4 of which were dupes. I would have much rather spent $27 on 5 boxes that were guaranteed to never give me dupes. Even if I ended up with the same items generally that I have now, I would at least be able to consider buying more boxes because I know that the trash I don't want is already out of the picture. You might say, "this would be a major hit to GGG's income because it would be significantly cheaper than buying armor outright!", but the reality is that if you buy enough boxes to get all the gear you want you have already spent a substantial amount of money and GGG would, I'm sure, be pleased enough with that.

Overall, GGG is not only greedy but also has their business model set up in the worst, least satisfying, least gratifying way possible. Players can either throw their money in small increments for chances to get what they want which is ultimately buried under layers of RNG as a result of being able to acquire duplicates or players can throw a large lump sum for individual pieces which is asinine and a non-consideration for most sane players.

Knowing what I know now, if I had a choice between the small increments option or the lump sum option, I just wouldn't spend anything at all, and that is exactly my plan moving forward.

You say enjoy my sulking. To GGG, I say, enjoy a lost customer from faulty business planning and nonsensical, misleading RNG traps.

At least GGG still has its glorious white knight TemptedNZ though! I hope you have one hell of a fat wallet, since soon it'll be just you supporting greedy gear games.
Last edited by TheRealTuna on Dec 21, 2017, 3:38:38 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info