[3.6] Inquisitor (Non-)Crit (MoM) Lightning Tendrils (cheap)

The frequent updates are highly appreciated. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the build pans out late game.
"
Harest wrote:
@ChadBishop : I never was a fan of this type of support gems, mainly because you generally need your 5 support gems to give you more damage to reach something that has the potential to clean the end-game, especially with "cheap" gear. Sure CwC can be fun to play with. For Spell Barrier, since i was (and i'm still) using Elemental Overload, it wasn't really useful. But i'm sure it can have its place as long as we're okay with our damages.
It's only a matter of personal preferences for these.

I mentioned Storm Barrier Support not because of preference, but that there are a few posts relating to damage mitigation. 8-13% less physical damage taken is a lot more with low armor than with 3 endurance on bigger hits. Obviously the power charges wouldn't be useful for your preference of the build, but you didn't just list an Elemental Overload build, you listed crit and non-crit. I'm suggesting it to anyone running the non-crit and not willing to give up a ring slot, flask slot or passives all of which can add easily add up to another support gem.

Like I said in my post, my point was to mention Storm Barrier Support for the couple of guys concerned about damage mitigation. Running Storm Barrier with no CWC is even less of an issue than it is with "more" supports. CWC wasn't a suggestion, it was a disclaimer to say I'm running a totally different build than this one.
@DelightfulD : So do i. For now the start of mapping is a bit of a problem with my poor current stuff. I may need to check PoE.trade a little, just to spend a few chaos. Ideally to get a 5l with some life and resists.
Lastly i mainly played Cycloner Berserker VP (and i was in favor of nerfing VP, too powerful), so back to a caster with standard leech and all, it's definitely not the same feeling, there's some adaptation. And i feel like i should probably switch asap to something else than Flame Dash, like Shield Charge or Whirling Blades (this one may be too slow) to be able to get the Fortify buff.

Edit : Much better now. But i'll take a break there because i'm starting to get mad. I did all the Pen map between 1-7 fps including the boss. No need to say i died, one time in a breach, and one time on the boss. Hard to dodge what you can't see yet.

@ChadBishop : It wasn't a criticism at all, it was more than welcome to point these possibilities ;). I just wanted to give my feedback on them.
Last edited by Harest on Dec 10, 2017, 11:39:47 AM
Hey OP, have you tried out the Singularity sceptre? I'm using it right now in Tendrils crit build and godamn the damage is awesome.
@Vulpix0r : I didn't search yet for the useful uniques. I didn't have time before the league but now that i can't play the game properly atm, maybe i'll check that up and update the build accordingly. I also wanted to put all the gems you'd want and at which level you can get them / where. I may do that today.
Anyway, i remember using Singularity back then, maybe on my Ball Lightning character. It's a nice unique sceptre and cheap afaik. But mainly useful here until you start getting some crit. If you can't find spell crit gear, it'll sure do the work too in the meantime. Edit : Forgot to check the "enemies are hindered" in PoB. So yeah in fact it's really good and indeed cheap too (1c). I may take one until looting a good spell crit rare sceptre.
Even in the crit build, with the wands i had equipped in the PoB link, switching to 2 Singularity and checking "hindered enemies" you get a slight dps buff. But that mean Flame Dash only, and after switching from "on paper" to in-game, Shield charging is really better. Both for the control you've on your character and for Fortify buff. We're in a really close range, more than i'd have thought.

Edit : Added the gems section. For the uniques i looked a little but i didn't see much stuff to be worth. Singularity, Moonsorrow, and that's mostly it in terms of cheap usable uniques it seems. At least for the weapons.
Last edited by Harest on Dec 11, 2017, 11:59:26 AM
I think Cybil's Paw is a fairly decent option for a defensive option as well. It helps with the survivability and most shields have 25% block, so you get 40% spell damage out of the gate.
@CountVirgil : Since ES isn't much profitable to us (but we still need an ES shield due to crit chance affix, despite essence of scorn can roll that, but that would not be cheap), i think shields with 15-20% spell damage as implicit are slightly better even if they've only 22% block chance.
Otherwise, i guess it's an okay choice but far less powerful than Singularity mentioned above for instance. At least it's available as soon as lvl 37 and costs only an alch.
"
Harest wrote:
@Vulpix0r : I didn't search yet for the useful uniques. I didn't have time before the league but now that i can't play the game properly atm, maybe i'll check that up and update the build accordingly. I also wanted to put all the gems you'd want and at which level you can get them / where. I may do that today.
Anyway, i remember using Singularity back then, maybe on my Ball Lightning character. It's a nice unique sceptre and cheap afaik. But mainly useful here until you start getting some crit. If you can't find spell crit gear, it'll sure do the work too in the meantime. Edit : Forgot to check the "enemies are hindered" in PoB. So yeah in fact it's really good and indeed cheap too (1c). I may take one until looting a good spell crit rare sceptre.
Even in the crit build, with the wands i had equipped in the PoB link, switching to 2 Singularity and checking "hindered enemies" you get a slight dps buff. But that mean Flame Dash only, and after switching from "on paper" to in-game, Shield charging is really better. Both for the control you've on your character and for Fortify buff. We're in a really close range, more than i'd have thought.

Edit : Added the gems section. For the uniques i looked a little but i didn't see much stuff to be worth. Singularity, Moonsorrow, and that's mostly it in terms of cheap usable uniques it seems. At least for the weapons.

Awww, that's a shame. Was hoping to have someone else walk the path of Tendrils to maps with me. :( I just hit T3 maps yesterday and I've been surviving quite well as a crit build. And for my crit build, I went Sanctify as my Merc ascendancy. It made surviving boss fights much better even though I am a crit build, as well as trials! I'm using shield charge with a scepter/shield combo so it's nice.

Instruments of Virtue is my planned uber ascendancy. Hopefully I survive long enough to play uber.
Anyone have any comments on Mind of the Council for a MoM variant of the build? I don't seem to have problems shocking map bosses, so I'm wondering if it's worth giving up the life on helmet.

PS. Anyone using a lightning build in general should look into an Inpala's Broken Hear chest piece. Increased trash and abyss clearing speed.
"
Vulpix0r wrote:

Awww, that's a shame. Was hoping to have someone else walk the path of Tendrils to maps with me. :( I just hit T3 maps yesterday and I've been surviving quite well as a crit build. And for my crit build, I went Sanctify as my Merc ascendancy. It made surviving boss fights much better even though I am a crit build, as well as trials! I'm using shield charge with a scepter/shield combo so it's nice.

Instruments of Virtue is my planned uber ascendancy. Hopefully I survive long enough to play uber.

I've been doing the LT thing and I really agree with that ascendancy choice. This build is good but I feel it lacks defense. I'm wondering whether I could possibly incorporate MoM at some point. When you're fighting abyss stuff and lag hits or just fighting in higher tier maps I'd rather have that extra bit of breathing room from Sanctity and/or MoM
Last edited by Mookitty on Dec 11, 2017, 9:34:28 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info