When are we getting better trading tools?

"
e1337donkey wrote:
I don't get why people just zero in on D3's AH and say that it is what destroyed the game so no other game should even attempt it. Gear progression and character builds were a big let down.. you rarely found anything useful and there weren't any builds to try out. If you grouped with other ppl of the same class, you'd often find everyone using the same skills. There was also no endgame so there really wasn't much to do when D3 first came out except the RMAH which ppl banked on.

Also poe.trade is very similar to D3s AH in the ability to just play with search functions to find gear you need. The only difference is how you actually buy the items. Despite this, the game is still functioning just fine for most people. I don't buy that making it faster will destroy PoE as we know it.

It wouldn't destroy it, it would just be more worth while to trade than to play. My biggest issue with any auction house in any game from WoW to Runescape to Diablo 3 is the fact that you can (in some cases) trade from your freaking phone. People get rich in some games without ever setting foot in the real game world or experiencing what the game's supposed to be. I see no real issue with people playing a game differently, but this isn't modded Skyrim or some crappy early access sandbox Steam title, it's a game made for character creation and finding items

At least the way PoE has it set up now you have to physically be playing the game to trade. The system won't do it for you, unless you bot, and hopefully botters get banned
"
Phrazz wrote:
"
MasterAxe wrote:
Chris is an ignorant fool?

Enlighten us; what makes him ignorant, and what makes him a fool.

Have you not watched any of his videos talking on this subject? His basis is ignorant of real facts, and that in turn makes him a fool.
IGN:Axe_Crazy
"
Imaginaerum wrote:
"
e1337donkey wrote:
I don't get why people just zero in on D3's AH and say that it is what destroyed the game so no other game should even attempt it. Gear progression and character builds were a big let down.. you rarely found anything useful and there weren't any builds to try out. If you grouped with other ppl of the same class, you'd often find everyone using the same skills. There was also no endgame so there really wasn't much to do when D3 first came out except the RMAH which ppl banked on.

Also poe.trade is very similar to D3s AH in the ability to just play with search functions to find gear you need. The only difference is how you actually buy the items. Despite this, the game is still functioning just fine for most people. I don't buy that making it faster will destroy PoE as we know it.

It wouldn't destroy it, it would just be more worth while to trade than to play. My biggest issue with any auction house in any game from WoW to Runescape to Diablo 3 is the fact that you can (in some cases) trade from your freaking phone. People get rich in some games without ever setting foot in the real game world or experiencing what the game's supposed to be. I see no real issue with people playing a game differently, but this isn't modded Skyrim or some crappy early access sandbox Steam title, it's a game made for character creation and finding items

At least the way PoE has it set up now you have to physically be playing the game to trade. The system won't do it for you, unless you bot, and hopefully botters get banned

I am not sure what game you are playing, but POE just like any other currency and economy based game has plenty of players that do NOTHING but trade, atleast until they reach a level of wealth or items they are aiming for. Sure they all have to play a little in the begining to start their funding, unless friends fund them, but then its ALL TRADING AND FLIPPING. POE already has them they are rampent even.
IGN:Axe_Crazy
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
AFK: This problem needs to be solved without ruining the game. A mail system would do wonders. Asynchronous trade would be fine here... no need for an auction house.

Flippers: This isn't bad. It's people who spend time to make currency by providing a service. They buy low, sell high. That's how a market is supposed to work. Again, no need for an AH here either. It wouldn't stop flippers and it wouldn't necessarily help them. So pretty much a non-issue.

Price Fixers: This is just people who look to spread disinformation and profit from it. Defend against them by spreading information. Quit telling people to check prices for stuff on the trade site. Again... adding an AH isn't going to help this. They'll still spread disinformation through other means and still profit from it.

You people think that adding instant trades will solve all your woes with trade. It wont. It would ruin the game and GGG is smart enough to see that. What they do need to do is put in a way for people to trade that doesn't interrupt the play of the game, but still requires active participation by both parties in the trade.

I keep seeing how Instant trading would ruin the game. Let me ask you. Was the problem with D3 AH the fact you could instantly buy something, or the fact that what you wanted was available to buy? I mean, what is 2 more minutes to trade for something in PoE compared to instant in D3?

That's not even a barrier to trade. The real barrier to trade is whether people are online, afk, or not trading it. So you have to wonder, what if D3 didn't list items from people afk or not online? How much better of a system would it have been?

The real issue is not how you paid for the item. If I am in the market for an item I dont consider the 2 minutes it takes to trade someone who is: online/trading/not afk to be much barrier at all.

So then you have to ask. Is that 2 minute barrier better than a barrier to scammers/fixers/afks?

How much worse would PoE get if it had an AH, that only parsed from people who are online, and playing for X amount of time to not be considered AFK? How much would that really affect the economy? You could even limit searches, trades per day, required levels, all kinds of barriers.

People seem to get too caught up on the method of payment/receive of items and don't realize that the bigger issue was that everything was available, all the time.
"
Destructodave wrote:
I keep seeing how Instant trading would ruin the game. Let me ask you. Was the problem with D3 AH the fact you could instantly buy something, or the fact that what you wanted was available to buy? I mean, what is 2 more minutes to trade for something in PoE compared to instant in D3?

People have provided you with quotes from D3 employees explaining how the drop rates were balanced with the "instant, one-click of the button accessibility" in mind. So the problem was both; it was utterly useless to farm for gear because of two reasons; the chance of finding something worth a damn, was VERY low due to the drop rates, and the point of farming for hours when you could just press one button for an item taking you all the way - for the price of a couple of minutes farming. Trading will ALWAYS be more efficient than farming, but they should ALWAYS work towards a balance. This will become impossible with an instant AH.

"
How much worse would PoE get if it had an AH, that only parsed from people who are online, and playing for X amount of time to not be considered AFK? How much would that really affect the economy? You could even limit searches, trades per day, required levels, all kinds of barriers.

As I've said before; if they take away the barriers we have now and implements an AH with instant trade, they have to introduce other forms of limitations. Limiting searches, trades per day and required levels could all work. I would probably welcome this. The constant trading, flipping and "playing the market" players? Not so much. But I don't care much about them, to be frank. This WOULD limit currency trade severely, tho. You OK with that?

"
People seem to get too caught up on the method of payment/receive of items and don't realize that the bigger issue was that everything was available, all the time.

I agree (if we include inflated prices :) )

"
MasterAxe wrote:
Have you not watched any of his videos talking on this subject? His basis is ignorant of real facts, and that in turn makes him a fool.

Seen them, and his philosophy is not ignorant - it's on point. His problem is action, or the lack thereof. The problem with trade is that it's controlled by a third party site, not the lack of instant trading. We all know Chris LOVES community involvement, but letting a few guys control such a huge part of the game isn't ignorant, but maybe a little foolish - I'll give you that.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
Last edited by Phrazz on Oct 31, 2017, 3:46:47 AM
We are actually reaching the point where people are gonna pretend that needing to wait for the other person to respond to your trading request is already not a barrier at all anymore.

Hilarious.
"
Miská wrote:
We are actually reaching the point where people are gonna pretend that needing to wait for the other person to respond to your trading request is already not a barrier at all anymore.

Hilarious.

"Needing to wait" can be implemented in other ways - like an automated delay between clicking the buyout button in the AH and arrival of the item in your inventory, or a forced minimum interval between transactions, or something else. Having a barrier to trade is not a problem. The problem is having a barrier that is completely dependent on the good will of the player on the other side (or lack thereof, which is more often the case).

Or let me rephrase it, to be clear. If GGG implemented some form of a trading system that would require exactly the same amount of time and effort to buy/sell an item as the existing system (whispering, visiting the hideout, opening the trade window etc.), but somehow would provide a 100% guarantee of successfull transaction while eliminating the frustrating human factors (AFKers, DNDers, price fixers, players who simply choose to ignore you etc.), that would make me very, very happy :)
Fuck master rotas. Fuck any kind of rotas, for that matter.
Last edited by DGTLDaemon on Oct 31, 2017, 8:00:36 AM
"
Phrazz wrote:

People have provided you with quotes from D3 employees explaining how the drop rates were balanced with the "instant, one-click of the button accessibility" in mind. So the problem was both; it was utterly useless to farm for gear because of two reasons; the chance of finding something worth a damn, was VERY low due to the drop rates, and the point of farming for hours when you could just press one button for an item taking you all the way - for the price of a couple of minutes farming. Trading will ALWAYS be more efficient than farming, but they should ALWAYS work towards a balance. This will become impossible with an instant AH.

As I've said before; if they take away the barriers we have now and implements an AH with instant trade, they have to introduce other forms of limitations. Limiting searches, trades per day and required levels could all work. I would probably welcome this. The constant trading, flipping and "playing the market" players? Not so much. But I don't care much about them, to be frank. This WOULD limit currency trade severely, tho. You OK with that?

I agree (if we include inflated prices :)

That's Blizzard also basing their strategy around a game that was never going to have seasons; basically standard. There is a lot of things they are going to say to pump up their next game, which had zero trading to make it look more appealing than the previous incarnation.

Again, I'm not arguing for Instant Trade. I was just offering food for thought because people keep mentioning instant when the real issue is availability.

I mean how is that different from now? Nearly every item that you whoop, the instant it shows up it can be got within 1-2 minutes, if you actually want it and the person isn't fixing/listing without wanting to sell. If I need a new ring with specific stats and I set it to live search, as soon as it whoops I can have that item within a minute. People listing those items are READY to sell it immediately. PoE's system is not exactly that far away from having an upgrade at the drop of a hat. Its actually one of the best ways to trade even if the implications of the live search system is shit because of how abusable it is for flipping.

Currency should just be fixed first anyways. One of the biggest issues is how wild Exalts get for no reason at all except how easy they are to price fix. Its much harder to fix various items than it is to stick an exalt on a dummy accounts and suck all the others up that are priced at/below it. Exalts need to just be added to a conversion like everything else and only the truely rare currencies remain up to interpretation, like mirrors.

What inflated prices? Tell me how its going to magically inflate them? D3's prices inflated for a whole host of reasons far more impactful then how you purchased and recieved the items. Prices got inflated because everything was a stat stick, no season/league to wipe the slate clean, trash drops where they tried to stretch out a perma-standard league instead of having 3-4 months leagues like PoE/current D3(and therefore tinkered with drop-rates). So you hit end-game and you have CLEAR upgrades in the form of pure stat sticks which is all D3 items were, and the upgrades costs skyrocketed, and no gold sinks so currency reserves ballooned. Its honestly comical that they apparently hired economists to design the system and that kind of shit is what they came up with. Just the advent of seasons early on would have helped tremendously; even in your biggest gripe; item drop rates. They don't have to fiddle with drop-rates if the slate is going to be cleaned every 3 months. But when you are designing for a permanent system, I can see why they tried fiddling with the drop rates.

Again, I really don't care how people pay for items. Instant, 1 day trades, I dont care. Thats not even my biggest gripe with PoE. If something could be done with fixers/afks within the current system, and limiting the ability to search with indexers/50 poe.trades, I would be happy. I dont care how the actual trading of items happens. I just don't think a 1 minute trade is as big an inconvenience as people make it out to be or the instant portion of D3 was the worst thing about their implementation of the AH.
Last edited by Destructodave on Oct 31, 2017, 9:01:53 AM
"
Destructodave wrote:
"
Phrazz wrote:

I agree (if we include inflated prices :)

That's Blizzard also basing their strategy around a game that was never going to have seasons; basically standard. There is a lot of things they are going to say to pump up their next game, which had zero trading to make it look more appealing than the previous incarnation.

Again, I'm not arguing for Instant Trade. I was just offering food for thought because people keep mentioning instant when the real issue is availability.

I mean how is that different from now? Nearly every item that you whoop, the instant it shows up it can be got within 1-2 minutes, if you actually want it and the person isn't fixing/listing without wanting to sell. If I need a new ring with specific stats and I set it to live search, as soon as it whoops I can have that item within a minute. People listing those items are READY to sell it immediately. PoE's system is not exactly that far away from having an upgrade at the drop of a hat. Its actually one of the best ways to trade even if the implications of the live search system is shit because of how abusable it is for flipping.

Currency should just be fixed first anyways. One of the biggest issues is how wild Exalts get for no reason at all except how easy they are to price fix. Its much harder to fix various items than it is to stick an exalt on a dummy accounts and suck all the others up that are priced at/below it. Exalts need to just be added to a conversion like everything else and only the truely rare currencies remain up to interpretation, like mirrors.

What inflated prices? Tell me how its going to magically inflate them? D3's prices inflated for a whole host of reasons far more impactful then how you purchased and recieved the items. Prices got inflated because everything was a stat stick, no season/league to wipe the slate clean, trash drops where they tried to stretch out a perma-standard league instead of having 3-4 months leagues like PoE/current D3(and therefore tinkered with drop-rates). So you hit end-game and you have CLEAR upgrades in the form of pure stat sticks which is all D3 items were, and the upgrades costs skyrocketed, and no gold sinks so currency reserves ballooned. Its honestly comical that they apparently hired economists to design the system and that kind of shit is what they came up with. Just the advent of seasons early on would have helped tremendously; even in your biggest gripe; item drop rates. They don't have to fiddle with drop-rates if the slate is going to be cleaned every 3 months. But when you are designing for a permanent system, I can see why they tried fiddling with the drop rates.

Again, I really don't care how people pay for items. Instant, 1 day trades, I dont care. Thats not even my biggest gripe with PoE. If something could be done with fixers/afks within the current system, and limiting the ability to search with indexers/50 poe.trades, I would be happy. I dont care how the actual trading of items happens. I just don't think a 1 minute trade is as big an inconvenience as people make it out to be or the instant portion of D3 was the worst thing about their implementation of the AH.

The thing that I think you are missing is that the RMT(d2d gold trade, or selling items at league end for $$),boting( full out boting or indexers/whoops same shit) fliping, price fixing, and AFK trolling are what keep the lights on in this game. AH would take that away and would end up killing the game This is the reason why in 5+ years things have not changed.

Most players will not talk about this... Its like fight club 1st rule is you don't talk about it.
"
chronsmash wrote:

The thing that I think you are missing is that the RMT(d2d gold trade, or selling items at league end for $$),boting( full out boting or indexers/whoops same shit) fliping, price fixing, and AFK trolling are what keep the lights on in this game. AH would take that away and would end up killing the game This is the reason why in 5+ years things have not changed.

Most players will not talk about this... Its like fight club 1st rule is you don't talk about it.

Lul, and the Earth is flat!!!!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info