[3.1] BUDGET! Frostbreath + Ice Crash - 1 Million Shaper DPS

"
Dongaldo wrote:
Big thanks to Xavathos for helping everyone out!

You're welcome! It's a really good and fun build and I'm fairly certain I understand it enough to be able to answer people's questions, though I'm glad you don't take it the wrong way. All credit to you for making it. :)

With that said, I've finished my Glacial setup and I think you'd be very interested to see how it turned out, because it's massively successful. I've permanently frozen up to T10 bosses with great ease so far and I'm fairly sure I can go higher with that. Even if they don't get permanently frozen, the chill effect from Glacial is so powerful it slows them down more than enough to make them no threat, outside of one shots of course.

It also has the same DPS, 100% splash damage, so no AOE DPS loss either, 100% instead of 90% conversion, so absolute pure cold damage. It also has a very nifty feature of 33% "culling strike" on frozen targets. It does not work on uniques (bosses) but it does work on Harbinger rares... :)

The AOE is the only drawback I can see when comparing it to Ice Crash, it is slightly lower with a radius of 18 base compared to 22 of Ice Crash with Conc Effect. It isn't actually as bad though, because of the speedy playstyle that Shield Charge offers. If you can't one shot a pack due to range, you can simply charge to the other half instantly and finish them. Some people may be put off by leftover mobs.

I'll go into further detail with links to Path of Building when I get home tonight, if you're interested.
Carry on my waypoint son, there'll be peace when maps are done.
Lay your portal gem to rest, don't you die no more.

'Cause it's a bitter sweet symphony this league.
Try to make maps meet, you're a slave to the meta, then you leave.
"
drbokorkati wrote:
PoB says +50k dps and better AoE with carcass, worth it? https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Carcass_Jack

While it isn't bad, you have to remember that this is an actual melee build. You will be taking damage and in some cases, lots of it. Belly of the Beast offers the best (because Kaom's is not an option) life total that you can get on this build and it's really helpful for that.

I'm personally using two Tasalio's rings for the massive extra damage they offer, but if you want to go for a Jack, you could use a rare ring for a bit of extra life to help fill the gap, as it were.

Could also just call it "softcore" and run with two rings AND a Jack, and then pray you'll never get hit. If you decide to do this, you may be interested in my version with Glacial Hammer, as it can freezelock most bosses and every rare or pack you will ever encounter. It's super safe.

"
CyberMike13 wrote:
I really like this build and am currently leveling it, and I have a few questions.
1. What one-handed melee weapon can I use to level until the frostbreath? (Using a brightbeak now but that wont last forever)
2. What kind of helms can I use for this build, as you don't go into depth about that?
3. What lab enchants are best for this build?
If you can take the time to answer this, then thank you very much !

Hey Mike!

1. I personally didn't level with a one-handed weapon at all. I leveled with Ice Crash in a 4L Widesweep Poleaxe. All the way to 50 where I switched to Frostbreath. That weapon offers everything you want for a leveling build. Decent damage, massive AOE and 10 mana back per kill with each swing, so you don't even have to invest into Elreon's rings if you don't want to.

2. I'm using a rare helm with life, double or triple res (whatever you're missing) and armour/evasion. Fairly straight forward.

3. The best glove enchant is Winter or Light. Light creates a consecrated ground effect that heals you for 6% of maximum life per second when you take a critical strike. I'm not quite sure how it interacts with our own consecrated ground, whether it stacks or not. Winter is nice because it scales on cold damage, of which we have... lots.

The best helmet enchant depends on your skill. 40% Ice Crash damage or Glacial Hammer damage if you prefer that.

The best boots enchant imo is the one that adds 45-68 cold damage to attack if you've been hit recently. That flat cold damage is a massive boost to our damage output and we're taking hits all the time. Another good one is 16% attack speed as usual, but the cold one adds TWICE the damage according to PoB, so don't underestimate it.

Neat build, hit 80 tonight. Stun/chill has been somewhat of an issue as I'm on a poverty 5 link and only have 4k hp at the moment, I'll get a belly when I can. I was wondering what people thought about grabbing Unwavering Stance. It is only 5 points out of your way and is also near the Bloodless life nodes and a 30 int node. Seems efficient but I'm just not sure if stuns will continue to be an issue as I replace my gear with endgame pieces.
IGN: Napp_Sleepp
"
Xavathos wrote:
"
CyberMike13 wrote:

3. The best glove enchant is Winter or Light. Light creates a consecrated ground effect that heals you for 6% of maximum life per second when you take a critical strike. I'm not quite sure how it interacts with our own consecrated ground, whether it stacks or not. Winter is nice because it scales on cold damage, of which we have... lots.

y have consecrated ground from ascendence and from flask got more consecrated ground from gloves dont have sense to me

i got 3 enchance on gloves Winter and Spite and Frost comandments

Winter is spell and cast slove moving in front of y buble doing 2500-4000 cold average 3000
Frost is spell shot 9 ice projectails do only cold 4000 - 6500 average 5000
Spite is ATACK do litle phys 200 fire 300 light 400 and a lot of COLD 6000-7500 average damage 15 000
and spite shot 10 ice projextalis and make chiling ground for 2 sec

this way best gloves enchant is Spite for damage and chiling and Light for more healing
not shure heal is stuck

i prefer Spite on my gloves and add cold when hit on boots helm is 40% ice crush damage

Last edited by 101zombi101 on Oct 17, 2017, 3:44:35 AM
"
Searcher314 wrote:
Neat build, hit 80 tonight. Stun/chill has been somewhat of an issue as I'm on a poverty 5 link and only have 4k hp at the moment, I'll get a belly when I can. I was wondering what people thought about grabbing Unwavering Stance. It is only 5 points out of your way and is also near the Bloodless life nodes and a 30 int node. Seems efficient but I'm just not sure if stuns will continue to be an issue as I replace my gear with endgame pieces.

Unwavering Stance, while good to stop stuns from being an issue, is bad for another reason. This may end up being a far greater threat to you than stuns will when you get 6k+ life eventually. Stun is based on the amount of damage a hit does in accordance to lost total life, by percentages. Say, if you have 6k life and take a hit of 1k damage, you will be less stunned than if you had 4k life and took a 1k hit.

1k of 4k is 25%, which is the number the stun will use in calculating the impact of it, which is further amplified or mitigated by stun threshold, duration and recovery. 1k of 6k life would be 16.7%, making stun much less effective on you. This is also why CI builds require a means to be stun immune, as they generally do not take any life nodes or life gear at all. (their stun is based on their life total as if they did not have CI, but that's still very low, generally speaking)

Anyway, I digress. Unwavering Stance makes you unable to evade enemy attacks. This is a big deal to us specifically, because as we use the Pandemonius amulet to blind all enemies that we chill. Blind reduces enemy chance to hit by 50%, but as Unwavering Stance would make you unable to evade incoming attacks, they will always hit you regardless of their blind status. It is the reverse effect of a blinded player with Resolute Technique.

It's up to you to use it or not. :)

Last edited by Xavathos on Oct 17, 2017, 4:22:46 AM
HI
wot sence take Elemental overload ?
this is not crit build

now i have with starkoji helm and ice golem 7.5% crit its to lov

i can take for 5 points on tree Fensing near Thin skin
fencing give me 24% melee dam 30% alightmen 4% atack AND 80% crit chance

if i take all this overload and fencing this cost me 8 points and give 40% dam with 10% chance

its to low 10% crit chance for this build

have sence to spent 8 points for low crit chance 40% dam ???
"
101zombi101 wrote:
HI
wot sence take Elemental overload ?
this is not crit build

now i have with starkoji helm and ice golem 7.5% crit its to lov

i can take for 5 points on tree Fensing near Thin skin
fencing give me 24% melee dam 30% alightmen 4% atack AND 80% crit chance

if i take all this overload and fencing this cost me 8 points and give 40% dam with 10% chance

its to low 10% crit chance for this build

have sence to spent 8 points for low crit chance 40% dam ???

It is indeed not a crit build and that's exactly why it makes use of Elemental Overload.

You get 40% more elemental damage for 8 seconds after each time you crit. Crits are seperate on each enemy, so on average if you have a 5% chance to crit and you hit 20 monsters in a pack, it will give you 1 instance of Elemental Overload, per hit. You then have 8 seconds to repeat that proces, which is very easy to do with the amount of speed this build has.

As you mentioned yourself, any crit chance that you can get is a quality of life bonus, as it makes it easier to proc Elemental Overload with fewer mobs on the screen or on bosses.

It is important to note that the damage modifier is a MORE modifier, meaning it applies multiplicatively to all other damage sources. It's like having another damage gem linked in your skill setup.

Also, I saw you mention Fencing. It grants increased Physical Damage with One Handed Melee Weapons. This build does convert (almost) all of our physical damage to cold, but it does not have much in the way of physical damage to begin with. Therefor a 24% increase to this would be very minimal difference on actual damage output. The only reason the build takes physical nodes below the duelist start is because we convert that to cold using a Cold Steel jewel. Otherwise, they would be the worst nodes in the build, by far.

Last edited by Xavathos on Oct 17, 2017, 4:20:00 AM
ty Xavathos
the build seems not to be that expensive to be viable.

What would be a expensive "upgrade" to make this build even better? (More DMG and Survivebility).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info