[On Hold] Glacial Cascade Totems [ALL Content in the Game]

"
Exodus_820 wrote:
1.The new threshold jewel Long Winter is amazing and a must-have. Two of them together is literally better than 2 extra gem links: They free up physical to lightning for faster casting/ele focus and extends the range of the spell by a whopping 80%, which Makes general mapping with Conc effect viable.

I reached the same conclusion. It doesn't do anything on most boss fights (exception kitava), but for mapping it is brilliant. If you have the hat enchant you can swap in life + crit multi jewels for doing shaper/guardians. If you don't have the hat enchant, P2L is still an option for bosses, but a lot less good than it used to be because of all the other sources of phys to ele that we get now.

"
2.Getting "gain physical damage as X elemental damage" on weapon is absolutely necessary. Those shaper weapon mods makes Glacial cascade the highest damage spell in the current game.

You are potentially missing a good deal of phys to ele by using a shield. If you mainhand a dagger, offhand a scepter you can use whirling blades, and pick up 1-2 more phys to ele rolls. This may not be preferable for mapping since whirling blades doesn't benefit from quicksilver, but it will up boss damage considerably.

"
5.Hatred is not a must have anymore since any sources of "Gained physical damage as X elemental damage" are addtive with others. We can have as much as 100% on a weapon and 20% on amulets, which makes the 36% from hatred very inefficient because of diminishing returns.

I reached the same conclusion, but chose to go a slightly different route, abandoning hatred in favor of dual kikazaru instead of rare rings. I don't think it is actually better in terms of general stats, but it is better for my laziness in never needing to worry about managing curse flasks.
Hi

First of all, my items:

and POB: https://pastebin.com/cavLX5nv

Switched to Kaom's Roots today, feels so slooooow. Is it must have? How can I improve my movement speed? I can't play like this.
Also, my dps looks like a shit atm. Fully buffed is around 75k.
Last edited by miracle22071 on Dec 22, 2017, 2:03:22 PM
"
miracle22071 wrote:
Switched to Kaom's Roots today, feels so slooooow. Is it must have? How can I improve my movement speed? I can't play like this.

No, not a must have, but it is certainly nice if you can budget it in. You're using a wand and no spammable movement ability, so yeah, you're slow as balls. If you get a dagger or scepter you can use shield charge, which will help a lot.

You also want shield charge / whirling blades for activating instruments of virtue. Right now you have no activator, you're just leaving 30% cast speed on the table.
"
"
miracle22071 wrote:

You also want shield charge / whirling blades for activating instruments of virtue. Right now you have no activator, you're just leaving 30% cast speed on the table.
Orb of Storms?

I will mess with my build today/tomorrow and come back here in a short time to leave some feedback.
"
miracle22071 wrote:
"
"
miracle22071 wrote:

Orb of Storms?

I will mess with my build today/tomorrow and come back here in a short time to leave some feedback.

Orb of storms is a spell. You need an attack to activate the cast speed buff.
Thi3n and Exodus, thanks both for the end-game recommendations. Sorry for several small questions!

I am now into red maps, and am without a 6link, the helm enchant, or any solid shaper/elder Additional damage mods, so I have a ton of room for upgrades (and about ~7ex to decide which way to go).

Exodus, do you use Enduring Cry very often? I always try to fit in a warcry into my totem builds just for an extra thing to click when I'm scurrying around. Been using Rallying Cry simply out of habit. Not sure if its little bit of damage is preferable to the Endurance charges. I assume neither are vital, but it's nice to have.

I tossed a Frost Bomb on my CDWT setup, which was great before I had my Cruel Lab, but I suppose is totally unnecessary now, as well. Perhaps skeletons or vortex.

Do you notice a big change in your EHP using Vaal Clarity? I've had Vaal Haste in pretty much every build I've ever done, and I'm so used to hitting my mousewheel for it that other Vaal choices never see any use from me.

I'd love a proper helm + the enchant, but obviously that's bonkers expensive. Rat's Nest is available for like 55c, though I think it's better for me to upgrade through Additional Damage weapons for now. I keep delaying another day, but I suppose it's time to spend some money more than 10c, 15c items.
Hi, I'm a mostly new player who cut my teeth on this and some other builds. I'm in my 60s now, just got Inevitable Judgment and things are going swell!

Why do we use Lightning Golem? Why not Ice Golem since it gives more crit?
"
ImSlower wrote:
Exodus, do you use Enduring Cry very often? I always try to fit in a warcry into my totem builds just for an extra thing to click when I'm scurrying around. Been using Rallying Cry simply out of habit. Not sure if its little bit of damage is preferable to the Endurance charges. I assume neither are vital, but it's nice to have.

IMHO the mana regen is actually the more interesting attribute on rallying cry. It gives almost as much mana regen as clarity, without any mana reserve (if you use clear mind).

"
Do you notice a big change in your EHP using Vaal Clarity? I've had Vaal Haste in pretty much every build I've ever done, and I'm so used to hitting my mousewheel for it that other Vaal choices never see any use from me.

Vaal clarity has a really long base duration, 9.9 seconds. That's more than twice the duration of vaal haste at 4 seconds. Linked to increased duration, you can easily have it up for the entire map off a single gem. More than just EHP what it offers is the knowledge that when you need to activate a skill, it will actually work. With MoM builds sometimes you get a hit + a degen and you're just sitting with no mana. Blood magic on your movement ability helps for just getting out of danger, but vaal clarity does one better and lets you just keep on trucking like nothing is wrong.

"
I'd love a proper helm + the enchant, but obviously that's bonkers expensive. Rat's Nest is available for like 55c, though I think it's better for me to upgrade through Additional Damage weapons for now. I keep delaying another day, but I suppose it's time to spend some money more than 10c, 15c items.

You're correct, Shaper weapons are your best bang for buck option. ~1ex can get you a weapon that gives as much damage as a 6th link would.

I picked this one up for 1 ex a couple days ago:

Daggers tend to be quite a bit more expensive by comparison (plus you need to essence craft if you want cast speed on a dagger). Of course if you want to go ham on damage you need to dual wield shaper weapons, and the mainhand one will need to be a dagger so you can use whirling blades. Shield for more life and easier resists is of course fine too though.
"
thi3n wrote:
Exodus! I might try and make a MF Windripper character next actually! Do you recommend your build for that (took a peek at your profile)

The Windripper build runs pretty well. Although I only have 3.9k life on that character, it didn't really need a headhunter to feel awesome in maps, 2x inspired learning+darkrays are plenty to keep me alive and fast. Only problems I have with the build are occasional Esh and Tul breachlords that show up in breaches and beyond boss Naem's physical spear spell.

I mostly agree with your comments since many of the things I discussed was based on my own experience this league. Things might be different for new players with different goals and less currency.

"
miracle22071 wrote:

Use dagger or scepter for a movement skill, dont use wands!

"
FeatherSigil wrote:

Why do we use Lightning Golem? Why not Ice Golem since it gives more crit?

Ice golem gives very little crit whereas lightning golems gives both attack and cast speed to help with movement and dps.

"
ImSlower wrote:

I don't use it very often, but I feel bad not having a full skill bar. I also have enduring cry specifically for Chimera fight and it helps me not getting killed in smoke phase by giving me a longer immortal call. You can keep using rallying cry for mapping for sure.
Last edited by Exodus_820 on Dec 22, 2017, 11:19:52 PM
In regards to mobility with Kaoms roots, for me it's all about a good flask cycle. I have a quicksilver flask with a bonus 30% movement addon, so I zip around @ 70% movement speed, it also has added total charges so it has a high uptime. A lot of the time while mapping that flask is constantly active. I wasn't as good at keeping it up prior because, well, I didn't really need to be. I had 30% movement boots and that wasn't so bad by itself.

As others have mentioned, getting rid of the wand and having a dagger or a shield in your offhand allows you to use movement abilities which also add a lot of mobility. If I ever do run out of charges for my quicksilver flask I can whirlwind my way out of a tough situation. Allows you to move directly through enemies as well which is quite useful. Certain maps with certain enemies I can basically just zip through laying totems while constantly sprinting through packs of mobs and finish a map very very fast. Easy to miss loot that way though, but for leveling it's almost worthwhile to ignore a certain amount of loot.

I'm not pro, just my observations as a new player. Although I guess I do have a couple hundred hours into the game now lol, I still feel like a noob. :P

Also I just tried out the double GC jewel and I'm enjoying it so far. I'm not 100% sure and haven't really tested it out, but it almost feels like it makes my cascades thinner but longer? You really notice the extra reach though while mapping. Also adding in the Cast Speed Gem into my Soul Mantle was amazing.

Now I'm just farming up currency to hopefully get another good Shaper weapon.
Last edited by Defiants on Dec 23, 2017, 7:22:40 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info