Music.

"
Alternalo wrote:
Will we ever hear this track in game again? This was one of my favourite :/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPsgtrw3Vgc

Yeah I really miss it too. Loved how it started straight with the synths or whatever they are without a long intro.

Maybe they felt there was a lack of "urgency" in the song. However with Act 3 coming, I don't think it matters that much. The town is meant to be a safe haven, and I'm not sure where else this music would have fit.
I don't know if this has been asked before, but is there a way to see if more songs have been added in to the downloadable soundtrack?
"
oArttu wrote:
I don't know if this has been asked before, but is there a way to see if more songs have been added in to the downloadable soundtrack?

Not currently, but I'll make sure that if/when we add new songs that its mentioned somewhere.

Maybe in the announcement thread.
The audio guy.
Just dropping by to leave a "pat on the back", a solid "GJ!" for the act 3 soundtrack. It is just excellent, and sets the tone & mood in a fantastic way. CHamber of Sins style - which WAS in my opinion the finest "marriage" between the "ears, eyes and hands" in the game.

All in all, solid work.
Hi,

As a musician music is a quite important aspect for me to "feel" more in context.

Currently I think the music is "okay". By "okay" I mean the average player would probably not recognize it or even remember it.

You want a sad, depressing soundtrack especially for "towns" & other non-combat area.

Think Diablo 1, think Tristram: everyone (every average player) would remember the depressing acoustic guitar.

Regarding the "combat area" I think you want to increase the creepiness especially in the prison or a cave part (i.e. inside areas). I would not overdo it though: silence + diminished light radius could be quite oppresive (i.e. good).

Regarding outside area, I think it is okay. The problem lies more in environement sound effects that could be more presents.

Anyway: for a free game it is still pretty decent, but we are far from D1 (abyway game in the 90's had better music).

PS: so far I m only in Act 1
Last edited by ddd_ on Jan 26, 2013, 2:06:20 PM
Just moved to Act 2.

A bit of a disappointment: I am see a change in act graphically, but not in terms of sound ambiance... Actually I am feeling it is just the same music...You probably want to work a bit on that.

But.. still playing.
Does anyone else hear "pops" in the Act III Wharehouses music, as if a sound was looped not seamlessly?
Last edited by HAJIMEdj on Jan 27, 2013, 8:15:21 PM
"
ddd_ wrote:
Hi,

As a musician music is a quite important aspect for me to "feel" more in context.

Currently I think the music is "okay". By "okay" I mean the average player would probably not recognize it or even remember it.

Anyway: for a free game it is still pretty decent, but we are far from D1 (abyway game in the 90's had better music).

PS: so far I m only in Act 1

I have to strongly disagree I'm afraid. I think the music is a triumph, absolutely beautiful music, cant tell you guys enough how much its added to the game for me and just as a music fan/musician/engineer how much I love it on a purely musical basis.

Remind sme of 2 things which I love, Burials first album and Paul Haslingers score to the movie Underworld.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7HgjL00s60

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OVZWHh2AuY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8FMD3t0KBA

I love thast music, to me its some of the most dark, brooding, sad music out there, and I thought the game music came so well to capturing a vibe somewhere between them, I just had to come in and say well done men, job well done.
"
ddd_ wrote:
Hi,

I also have to disagree. As a musician myself, I think that maybe *some* of the music might be a little forgettable (but where is this not the case?), but on the whole I think it's some pretty amazing stuff.

However ...

I do have an issue with the music, though it's more of a bug and not really about the composition.

A long time ago (second post) the looping issues were mentioned, and GGG said they were going to do something about this.

Well, I have to say that something has happened and it's a *LOT* worse now. It used to just be that one could hear the point of looping from the end to the beginning of the track. A little jarring, perhaps, but nothing more.

Now it doesn't even loop.

The music will carry on, dong its thing, then just DROP OUT entirely, right in the middle of the audio track. After what much be a couple seconds of silence, it starts from the beginning again. This happens a lot, but if any specifics are needed I'll be glad to dig them up and report them. I know Lioneye's Watch and the Ship Graveyard do it, but I've heard it elsewhere, and it's possible that every area's music has this problem. "La dee da, music music--" and then nothing. Even the atmospheric sounds seem to stop. And then, either after a couple seconds or instantaneously, the music starts over.

And although it's not necessarily *as* big of an issue (but may be related or even the cause), Lioneye's Watch music doesn't start at the beginning when it should. When we first start, and are in town, it does, but I mean after that.

It used to be that we'd go back to town, and that first note washing in would be like a welcome signal. Ahhh, you're in town. Back home. Like the first chords ringing out in the Tristram theme in D1. But now, I go through the waypoint, and the music track just picks up from somewhere in the middle. This isn't cool at all. Where's that sound welcoming us into the town, that familiar sound fading in sharply and swirling in the air before the actual musical notes start playing?

It starts up already playing something from the middle of the track. Maybe the audio track drops out at the same point in the next loop or something? Maybe they fixed the looping issue but didn't think that the music would start at a wonky place and then there would be a much bigger issue when the sound dropped out in the middle of the next loop?

I don't know, they may be separate problems, but I must say, these things really put a hamper on the mood and immersion. And I love the PoE music, have since I first heard it, so for me it's probably the biggest problem with the game right now, LOL. So many things have been improved and are just amazing by now, but somehow this one has gotten screwed up somewhere along the line.

EDIT:

I just started the game up, and the intro music on the title screen (another musical highlight) had this issue after only about ten seconds. The rain sounds dropped out suddenly, then the music. Then it started over after a few seconds of silence. Started playing (Act 2) and the same issue occurred there too. The next time, in the title screen, the ambient sounds dropped out but the music remained. So it's probably separate from the weird start times when returning through waypoints, but who knows; they're both unfortunate.

-VG
Invited to Beta 2012-03-18 / Supporter since 2012-04-08
Last edited by VideoGeemer on Jan 29, 2013, 6:51:14 AM
"
I have to strongly disagree I'm afraid. I think the music is a triumph, absolutely beautiful music, cant tell you guys enough how much its added to the game for me and just as a music fan/musician/engineer how much I love it on a purely musical basis.

"
I also have to disagree. As a musician myself, I think that maybe *some* of the music might be a little forgettable (but where is this not the case?), but on the whole I think it's some pretty amazing stuff.

By all means, I am not saying the music is bad, I am saying it could be better.

Best proof: game is off, close your eyes and tell me you can hear in your head PoE music or theme song?

You can't (or you played too much!). That's the problem. This game needs an easy, burn-it-to-your brain song. Either the intro title, either the town song. But it needs one.

Again sorry for the Diablo reference: but Tristram song (Diablo 1) and the Babarian camp (Diablo 2 LoD) were dark gritty (first one), epic (second one) and catchy.

It is super tough to get there (hell most artists can't and overly use marketing to solve this), but it is possible.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info