Audio Feedback.

Please remember path of exile IS still in beta, the audio still needs work in all aspects, it just takes time!

"sound should level with the gem somehow" - I like the idea unfortunately it requires tech that we currently cant implement.

"fellshrine is so boring now" - I'm not too sure what has been changed that could have made such a difference! If you have any specifics, feel free to point them out.

Also skill sounds are constantly being improved, its often hard to get right the first time, again if you have any specific skills that you think are lacking just mention them and I may get a chance to improve them!

Thanks for the feedback
The audio guy.
To be honest I was just listening to music for a long time while I played. The Beatles is better than 99% of music out there. But I just recently started playing PoE with sound again and it has gotten quite a bit better. Almost reminds me of a naruto-esque/japanese anime soundtrack at points.
"
Andrew_GGG wrote:
Please remember path of exile IS still in beta, the audio still needs work in all aspects, it just takes time!

"sound should level with the gem somehow" - I like the idea unfortunately it requires tech that we currently cant implement.

"fellshrine is so boring now" - I'm not too sure what has been changed that could have made such a difference! If you have any specifics, feel free to point them out.

Also skill sounds are constantly being improved, its often hard to get right the first time, again if you have any specific skills that you think are lacking just mention them and I may get a chance to improve them!

Thanks for the feedback

Hey thanks for the fast reply, what the problem is mostly is that my sound dissapear and maybe it's the new dark fellshrine with fewer mobs than before that just make a very big impact of the overall feel it had before. But my poisonarrow like don't register the sound it should, it skips and fades out until you almost only hear the pulling of the bow without any arrow impact sounds at all.

Just damagesound overall is sounding less powerful somehow, hard for me also to explain. Maybe it will show up for more people that use poisonarrow with multiple projectiles and such.

And also understand it's a beta, and I am impressed over how good of a beta it is and how fun I have had. But the new patch just made my excitement go away, I guess just the soundweirdness and the really empty fellshrine made it just feel lonely to walk there.

Also understand that the sound take time, believe me I get everything about the EQ and how you have to balance the range of frequencies so they don't clash. People want more sounds they say, birds and other animals, and they want their armor to make sounds when they walk and fotsteps and wind noise. What they don't get is that it would be really busy and would be hard to make good without it being annoying when everything is going on at the same time. So if you ask me I would focus on the most important parts which is the ambience and the actual sound of the hits since you do hit ALOT in this game. Boring sounds make for a quick ear fatigue no matter how many stepsounds or birds that are singing in the background. With hitsounds I mean all spells and skills overall, drops, even grunts and such from monster are important.

Another thing someone said that I think shouldn't be implemented is that moaning and grunting when you loose healt below a certain point. You pop hp potions so often in this game and if health would go from 100-30 hp in 3 seconds time and everytime you hear, "aah, I am dying, hmmm, arrrghh" I would at least find it annoying, then better to focus on other things or very subtle changes when HP drop. Less is more many times when it comes to these things. But more is often more on impactsounds, depending on what is being done on the screen of course. Pulling back a bow shouldn't sound like thunder, then it would loose it's realism.

I will get back to you with more input later, I really need to play more of everything to feel what is lacking where. But some sounds I feel is spot on and feels nice, I felt also the sounds of the curses could sound a little more, I get reminded by the curse the necromancer had in D2 that sounded so powerful and you could almost hear souls being torn to pieces.

I add a link to some of the sounds I talk about http://www26.zippyshare.com/v/28179939/file.html

My favorite being the 2212 sound and the one I refer to above, all of them are curses necro laid in the game I think. So curses could make a bit more impact like you really throw a heavy curse on them, and auras could have some subtle ambience sound around them.

By the way are you the only sounddesigner or are you a whole team of guys working?
I'd just like to say that overall I'm pretty impressed with the audio in this game. I use a 7.1 surround headset when gaming, and PoE sounds really great! Of course there are things that could be fixed, same as with the graphics/animations, but as mentioned this game is still in beta. I feel that for the most part the soundtrack is dead on with each area of the game, especially in the Prison and the Church! The Church particularly is quite fantastic, couldn't be happier with the audio there.

I think Andrew's post about recording new dialogue/sounds for the full release should answer most inquiries regarding improving the grunting with casting and whatnot. And for the record, if PoE gets full on voice acting, especially for boss encounters, that will fill a large gap in the game (for me personally at least). I can't report any errors or glitching in the audio as I haven't encountered any. So I'll sum this up by saying great job and keep it up! Looking forward to the final product. :)
Overall I think the in-game music and sound is evolving nicely :) More samples for things will be welcomed but the overall effect is lovely.

Musings on Jewelry Drops:
In PoE jewelry and skill gems dropping make an almighty ringing noise when dropped on (e.g.) wet sand.

Could the rings make no noise at all and skill gems maybe make a small thud on sand, and maybe have a ping sound for levels with stone floors?

I like item drops, but occasionally it breaks the realism for me when a 1 foot long creature drops a 6 foot long staff, the same thing applies when item drops make improbable sounds :)

Also the sound clip reminds me of the D2 ring drop sound - in D2 every jewelry item was magic and the PING was like a siren going off.

At the end of the day I'm guessing that most people would wander around with [highlight items] turned on if they were intent in finding/surveying everything.

Thoughts? I guess this probably applies to orbs as well...
Currently with the audio tech we have we can only have one sound per item! but the plan is to change the ring and gem sounds soon to something less grating on your ears.

ALSO I wanted to mention to the people who were finding the impact of cleave, sweep, dual strike, double strike a lil weak. They will all have better impact sounds soon!
The audio guy.
I find that the dying sound of the sand spitter mobs really, really hurts my ears for some reason. It would be nice if the pitch of their death sounds could be lowered fractionally - they sound like mosquitos and it affects my play experience disproportionately.
IRON MAN
I love the voice acting on the Witch trailer.

My very 1st honest impression was "this doesn't sound like an AAA game".

But then on a subsequent watch I really liked it, precisely because it's unique and not the usual trying-so-hard voice acting.

In order of pref for trailers I'd go Duelist > Templar > Witch.

I love all three, the witch's voice (on that trailer, I haven't heard anything else) is just a wee bit plain compared to duelist, like it needs a little more oomf.

(and wow, you really improved the UI art since doing the trailers ;))

If you are partied with somebody using dual strike the sound effect "remains" until you are close, then plays. This means you can run through an area long after combat and hear dual strke noises!
"
Neonexe wrote:
If you are partied with somebody using dual strike the sound effect "remains" until you are close, then plays. This means you can run through an area long after combat and hear dual strke noises!

Interesting! ill get this tested
The audio guy.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info