Harbinger language/symbol translation

"
aaron25678 wrote:
"
Zorajin wrote:
I wonder if we can define the symbol order of "<God/Pantheon?> <around> <insert_concept_here>" to mean the god of that concept? If so, maybe we can start identifying gods in the flavourtexts and work out their story, then work backwards from that and translate the last remaining symbols?

Maybe you are correct maybe it's not this harbinger does flame dash. Maybe it's this harbinger worships a fire god and uses X or Y ability?

I like the work people made on the harbingers! :) They really make sense imo.

It's just that it feels like they are mostly translated by now, but the flavour texts are still confusing. So we need to use the information gained from harbingers and find patterns in flavour texts to figure out the meaning of the last symbols.
Gravity is just a prejudice. A part of Earth's jurisdiction. As an apache helicopter, I find that very oppressive.
"
Zorajin wrote:
"
aaron25678 wrote:
"
Zorajin wrote:
I wonder if we can define the symbol order of "<God/Pantheon?> <around> <insert_concept_here>" to mean the god of that concept? If so, maybe we can start identifying gods in the flavourtexts and work out their story, then work backwards from that and translate the last remaining symbols?

Maybe you are correct maybe it's not this harbinger does flame dash. Maybe it's this harbinger worships a fire god and uses X or Y ability?

It's just that it feels like they are mostly translated by now, but the flavour texts are still confusing. So we need to use the information gained from harbingers and find patterns in flavour texts to figure out the meaning of the last symbols.

I'd like to have them all make sense and then it adds depth into the league and harbingers themselves... the only thing is if you look at my posts on page 8 some harbingers weren't abiding by it's name. It should've been using flame blast but was using flame dash. So it's still quite up in the air for a bit. Have you got a link for more info on them?
"
aaron25678 wrote:
Last 2 from me. Off to bed now for work tomorrow yay! (not lol)

This one was strange again like my last flame dash one, symbol/s not making sense here (we haven't decoded yet so ofc they won't make sense yet lol).

The diamond that joins them almost seems like the links we have for our skills. So for my frost bomb one = one of the symbols - looking at it now the end one (please someone help me with linking these lol) looks like cross bones, like death? So Arcane (from OP's source) linked with death = bomb on death?

Ah got to play this more tomorrow and try find out!

Great observations aaron25678, ty!
Good points about the "Dash/Directions" and "Bomb" Symbols.

---

I'd like to add we really need to find the meaning of this symbol:

Whithout this one, it's nearly impossible to translate the flavor texts.
"
aaron25678 wrote:
"
Zorajin wrote:
"
aaron25678 wrote:

I'd like to have them all make sense and then it adds depth into the league and harbingers themselves... the only thing is if you look at my posts on page 8 some harbingers weren't abiding by it's name. It should've been using flame blast but was using flame dash. So it's still quite up in the air for a bit. Have you got a link for more info on them?

Oh, yup. That shakes the foundations a bit.

It's actually good though, since we can't seem to make sense of the flavour texts with what we have. Also, I can't wait for friday when we get more stuff on Harbingers! Hopefully that means we get more "text" on them, and more stuff to decipher that should give more clues to the flavour texts!
Gravity is just a prejudice. A part of Earth's jurisdiction. As an apache helicopter, I find that very oppressive.
Last edited by Zorajin on Aug 16, 2017, 3:55:00 AM
"
aaron25678 wrote:
Played a bit of it tonight and was going through some Harbingers I found whilst leveling (level 25-29)

So this Symbol Sorry don't know how to link them properly and I did this on paint lol. Seems like a promote / buff for the allies / minions

Spoiler

The last flame dash one was quite weird and surprising to be different to what I've seen before. Anyone have any ideas?

Also sorry I wrote the skills in no particular order. Most of the skills i wrote should be the other way (Buff minions / allies & Flame dash).

The last harbinger is indeed weird here. He should be flameblasting, not flame dashing. D:

"
aaron25678 wrote:

Spoiler

This one was strange again like my last flame dash one, symbol/s not making sense here (we haven't decoded yet so ofc they won't make sense yet lol).

The diamond that joins them almost seems like the links we have for our skills. So for my frost bomb one = one of the symbols - looking at it now the end one (please someone help me with linking these lol) looks like cross bones, like death? So Arcane (from OP's source) linked with death = bomb on death?

The first harbinger is weird. It shouldn't be buffing allies.

The second harbinger here. I think the second symbol means something with enlarging. I've faced it too and it was untranslated until yesterday.

Good to keep this info about unregularities in the back of the mind, hopefully an idea to explain it can come of it.

Editing in my ideas here instead of cluttering the thread.
Spoiler
So far we've been assuming that the symbol commonly believed to stand for "frost" was simple. But people have been questioning how "The Arcane"+"Frost" can mean frostbomb and pointing questionmarks to "The Arcane". Maybe it's the "Frost" symbol that we don't understand and need to redefine?

Poedb indicates there should be 28 different variations of harbingers (source: http://poedb.tw/us/area.php?c=Harbinger ). Almost all symbols on them can be grouped into two groups. Auras that stand before Harbinger, in the fashion:

<Concept> <around> <Harbinger>

Skills that harbingers use, in the fashion:

<Harbinger> <of> <Concept>+<Concept>
+ = the concepts together make a word, or meaning

or

<Harbinger> <of> <Concept>+<Concept><Concept>+<Concept>
no smaller symbol between two symbols in brackets means the start of a new word

The exceptions seem to be symbol 2 of HRB6, symbol 2 of HRB7 (HBGAg), symbol 3 of HRB 25, and symbol 3 of HRB 26 which should mean they buff minions in different ways.
Last edited by Zorajin on Aug 16, 2017, 4:38:47 AM
Spoiler
"
Zorajin wrote:
"
aaron25678 wrote:
Played a bit of it tonight and was going through some Harbingers I found whilst leveling (level 25-29)

So this Symbol Sorry don't know how to link them properly and I did this on paint lol. Seems like a promote / buff for the allies / minions

The last flame dash one was quite weird and surprising to be different to what I've seen before. Anyone have any ideas?

Also sorry I wrote the skills in no particular order. Most of the skills i wrote should be the other way (Buff minions / allies & Flame dash).

The last harbinger is indeed weird here. He should be flameblasting, not flame dashing. D:

"
aaron25678 wrote:

Spoiler

The first harbinger is weird. It shouldn't be buffing allies.

The second harbinger here. I think the second symbol means something with enlarging. I've faced it too and it was untranslated until yesterday.

Good to keep this info about unregularities in the back of the mind, hopefully an idea to explain it can come of it.

I have asked GGG if the flame dash was a bug or is correct. If it's correct it just throws the current translation in the bin.

Since harbinger means a person or thing that announces or signals the approach of another, And the way the harbinger rune looks. Could it be that they are worshipping the gods of lightning, fire and ice and using spells linked to them?
Last edited by aaron25678 on Aug 16, 2017, 8:07:36 AM
"
aaron25678 wrote:
I have asked GGG if the flame dash was a bug or is correct. If it's correct it just throws the current translation in the bin.

Agree, kinda. You can try to make sense of it. But it is so much cleaner if it was just a bug.
http://imgur.com/a/fjb2U

Two harbinger of interest maybe. The vertical >< may be a suffix for skill that the harbinger give to allies ? because the righteous fire was given to allies, I never seen a Righteous Fire Harbinger yet. And an example of a nova skill.
Guide français : http://sites.google.com/view/poefr/
Last edited by vindoq on Aug 16, 2017, 4:14:08 PM
I like the idea that the flavour text of the item refers to properties of that item.

The first line of the sword seems to read:

'The righteous gods of increased strikes'

which corresponds with the increased accuracy rating implicit.

The second line of the sword is something like:

'The righteous gods of _____ expanding'

could this not refer to the increased area of effect mod on the weapon?

By interpreting the flavour text in this way we have at least some way of determining the meaning of these symbols. As an example, the symbol that looks like two vertical lines cut by a diagonal only appears on items that have mods affecting stun/block/ailments (except for the belt).

I would also like to suggest that the symbol that appears on the lightning nova harbinger might be interpreted as 'loop' instead of directly as 'nova'. This would make the first line of the mask flavour text:

'Portal around time loop'

which makes a bit more sense to me. Perhaps it could also be interpreted as a translation of the item's name 'The Tempest's Binding', where loop in this case becomes binding.
Last edited by locobilbo on Aug 16, 2017, 10:38:55 PM
"
The Harbinger Storm Cascade ability no longer stops at the Harbinger's minion's location.

Did anyone have seen an Harbinger with this ability ?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info