Harbinger language/symbol translation

Here are some facts and thoughts, especially for those who cant or dont play the league (cant see everything by themselves in game), but still are curious about the harbingers:

The "Beachhead" map contains 4 areas filled with neutral monoliths and ground symbols (they are different yet have some resemblance to language symbols): First one is the central area where "stargate" stands and three more areas positioned around. there are two groups of ground symbols in the arena: the ones that do not change and are larger (RED) and smaller ones that change (GREEN). Even if symbols change into different ones they are still angled at the same directions (dont know if that means anything).

Spoiler

The central symbol has three layers and might mean an area of reduced beats influence:

It looks suspicious to me that all maps have the same affix "6 additional harbingers". This affix doesn't variate, why write it at all? And what 6 additional harbingers? I've counted 8 and 9 harbingers coming through the gate. There are 6 unique equipment items which allow player to control 6 different harbingers, maybe it has to do something with this?

A detailed look at "stargate":

Edit:
There is a "harbinger of disorder" beneath Oriath and scattered research journals of Templar Davaro https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Research_Journal. Didn't find anything meaningful but maybe you will. Maybe it is Kitava's harbinger, after all Kitava is god of corruption.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke
Last edited by Toshis8 on Sep 15, 2017, 3:00:55 PM
funny you mention this, I just notice these patterns on the ground.
I was wondering if maybe we place the harbinger uniques on the ground on them if it opens a door or something. Some of the symbols looks sorta like the ones on the uniques.
"
Xaxarius wrote:
funny you mention this, I just notice these patterns on the ground.
I was wondering if maybe we place the harbinger uniques on the ground on them if it opens a door or something. Some of the symbols looks sorta like the ones on the uniques.

The problem is, nothing else functions like this in the game, as far as we know. If they were making an easteregg, would they really use some new undiscovered mechanic?
It's a clone of stargate
"
RXA623 wrote:
Your idea seems to hold its own, but I can't shake off the feeling we're missing something.

Here - https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/6sbft6/some_thoughts_on_harbinger_text/ is a list of all found symbols (at least I think it's all of them).

What's worth noting - there are 5 "in between" symbols, 34 or 35 "words" in brackets (if we count the blank bracket on portal), but two of those are the "in between" symbols INSIDE of brackets. Additionally what You translated as "thunder" seems to be 2 mirror symbols (compare the symbol on the mask with the one in Harbingers' names, they're turned differently). It could be argued that the mask simply has the thunder symbol mirrored for some aesthetic reason, but it doesn't happen on any other item. Also the shield lacks any "in between" symbols, while on all the others the symbol for "Harbinger" comes second, but in Harbinger's names it also starts with "Harbinger". It would seem kinda weird to have "Harbinger" "arrow" "storm" mean "Harbinger of Storms" and then have "Time" "arrow" "Harbinger" mean the "Harbinger of Time". That would mean the language has no real structure, since we can just switch the words around and they still give the same meaning.

Next thing would be - what about words not connected by "in between" symbols? There are a few of them. There are also a few cases of "in between" symbols being written next to each other.

The language also seems to contain a lot of repeated patterns when it comes to flavor text (mask line #4 + quiver line #3 + belt line #3, shield line #1 + mask line #1 or the most common one - mask line #3 + sword lines #1 #2 #3 + map line #1, though here I'm still unsure whether the second line is an extension of the first one or not).

Maybe I'm overcomplicating this, but it just seems the flavor texts would become a bunch of copypasted gibberish.

Yes/No. This is fairly viable thus far, however I would like to add my own 2 cents to this.

We all know the Harbinger Language as complicated, as are their actions and how they proceed on an almost normal routine. In my segment to add to this (which, I will confess is purely hypothesis), I will bring up three things:

1)The Shaper - Who is he?

2)Harbingers- Autonomous or controlled?

3)Essences - the number system

We'll start with The Shaper. Honestly I feel like he is probably the creepiest of creepynoodles out there, and yet I kind of see a slight resemblance to another VG character we know and (sometimes) hate. I speak of Xur, from Bungie's god-awful new franchise Destiny. Bashing aside, They are EXTREMELY similar in the idea that they are both part of a sort of prison system. Xur is part of the Agents of the Nine, and The Shaper....does the same thing. Think of it. Xur's job is to imprison the baddies in the solar system and provide us with sweet (and sometimes pretty sour) loot. The Shaper Shapes worlds. Why? Because they are invariably a Petri Dish to examine the behaviours of prisoners or scientific subjects.

Seems Interesting and all, but where do I make that claim/draw the line between the dots? Every new map we go into gets a short observation, or perhaps even the Shaper talking about "They". Who are "They"? I would assume that seeing as we have encountered mobs/Harbingers that "they" are the ones being mentioned in the Shaper's speeches. However, as we know Voll's (and Tukohama's) bretheren didn't really survive the ordeals of darkness and transformation (i.e. Voll's Fallen/Tukohama's Chosen), that this is the same for those we find in the maps. They are LITERALLY condemned souls and bodies trapped in a different plane of existence, and not always in what most people in the story mode would consider in their respective places. The mobs can be mish-mashed, almost like a huge Rubik's Cube, a Prison....or an experiment. Perhaps even an Experimental Prison, if we were to be bold enough to claim so. But why a Prison?

Remember when I said Harbingers were on the list? Well they are for a good reason. They are invulnerable to direct attacks, summon other creatures, and drop shards/the occasional orb. Who cares, right? Well... I would like to suggest that Harbingers were once part of a greater civilization that somehow found itself in contact with the Shaper. There is a Unique out there called Doryani's Invitation, and the flavor text goes like this; "You can invite them but you can never be sure who will come knocking". As a Queens' Thaumaturgist (lore-wise), Doryani would have almost unlimited resources when it came to experimentations, and would more than likely do just about anything in the name of science. Enter Doryani's Fist: "Doryani's ingenuity raised the Vaal Empire to unprecedented heights. His curiosity reduced it to ruins and bones." HIS. You mean, The Shaper? They meet, the Vaal end up trying out the art of shaping worlds, and things go well... until something happened. What that something was, I can't be sure. But whatever it was, it has to do with that gate on the Beachhead map, and I would guess even turned the Vaal into Harbingers. The thing is, that "something" that happened I would guess was a betrayal of some sort. The Vaal, transformed, turned into the ultimate force of nature. These new Harbingers are efficient, fast, but... jerky in their reactions. Almost like they are being controlled somehow. Notice how every so often they will stop in midair and contort? It's almost like they are trying to escape a painful existence. Now, what about this makes the connection to the Shaper being some sort of Warden or Prison Master? The idea that the Harbingers are being controlled, and typically everything is well and good until WE show up. Then the entire thing goes to red alert and we have too kill resource after resource until the Harbinger can no longer EXIST in our realm. Basically, they're here but also NOT here. Almost like a projection of oneself into the next room but you are standing in the garage.

To further cement this, and to respond to the comment/question I have quoted at the beginning of this long endeavor, Essences are basically a number sequence from which we get specific abilities when it is infused with our items. To expound on it, Think of where we find them. In monsters, "trapped by powerful essences". Well one thing is for sure, those "cocoons" they are in aren't mentioned ANYWHERE else in Wraeclast. Not lore, not geography, NADA. Meaning that they are most likely extra-terrestrial (meaning not of the plane of existence/world, I can honestly feel the History Channel Memes breathing down my neck right now). So this monster is trapped, and we decide to let it out, only for it to step out swinging. Because it's a monster, therefore a bad guy. But not just any bad guy, a very SPECIFIC bad guy the shaper became interested in and trapped. Each one has specific abilities that we....DON'T GET. I mean, we can if we used totems, spectres and god knows what else, but honestly it doesn't reflect in the Essences description. Hence my thinking that it is a Code.

THAT right there is a table of how many different Essences there are (courtesy of the PoEWiki), which shows us an oddball assortment, but notice how many types there are. 7. With a couple oddball tier 8's. However, we will assess it (for the time being) as a Septa-decimal system. Septa Decimal with the higher numbers/symbols being more dangerous, and lower numbers/symbols being less so. It also "partially" explains why the Harbingers are sort of there. They can see/understand things that our characters simply cannot. It also helps explain those Non-connected "in between symbols".

At this point I'm kind of hazy on what is what, (it's 2am here, so don't be surprised if I make this a multi-trip habit) but the "Prisoners/Experiments" get obtained, packaged, and tagged with a number. The Harbingers are out and about doing whatever The Shaper needs done, and The Shaper is overseeing it all by providing new worlds, and new experiments. And as most people know, Languages can't exist without numbers. Take the word "Score" for example. Number-wise, it means (approximately) 20. Our society works on a decimal-heavy system, so who's to say the essences aren't the number system to the Harbinger's language?

But hey, that's just a theory.

Hope you guys enjoyed this and PLEASE by all means, correct, mark in red, respond and I'll be back on this, because I am WAY interested in the language.

"
Toshis8 wrote:
Here are some facts and thoughts, especially for those who cant or dont play the league (cant see everything by themselves in game), but still are curious about the harbingers:

The "Beachhead" map contains 4 areas filled with neutral monoliths and ground symbols (they are different yet have some resemblance to language symbols): First one is the central area where "stargate" stands and three more areas positioned around. there are two groups of ground symbols in the arena: the ones that do not change and are larger (RED) and smaller ones that change (GREEN). Even if symbols change into different ones they are still angled at the same directions (dont know if that means anything).

Spoiler

The central symbol has three layers and might mean an area of reduced beats influence:

It looks suspicious to me that all maps have the same affix "6 additional harbingers". This affix doesn't variate, why write it at all? And what 6 additional harbingers? I've counted 8 and 9 harbingers coming through the gate. There are 6 unique equipment items which allow player to control 6 different harbingers, maybe it has to do something with this?

A detailed look at "stargate":

Edit:
There is a "harbinger of disorder" beneath Oriath and scattered research journals of Templar Davaro https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Research_Journal. Didn't find anything meaningful but maybe you will. Maybe it is Kitava's harbinger, after all Kitava is god of corruption.

Ummm did you notice the Futharkian Runes in the blue borders of the circular ground carving? At least I think it's Futharkian, I can't tell from the lighting/angle. Either that or it's more Harbinger runes, either one sounds wicked cool to me :D
Last edited by Belado on Oct 12, 2017, 1:53:46 AM
"
Belado wrote:
...All of that...

That is a much much deeper take than I've heard on the topic.

Is PoE borrowing a little from Claymore's story? :)

Who is the beast? https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/The_Beast
If Mal knows, we probably have some hints. Is it Bob? Is it Dom? Is it Voll? Is it Shaper's real name? Is it YOU?

We know the Shaper is Zana's dad, right? But then who is Zana? It's kind of a big problem. Why does Shaper leave memory fragments everywhere?

How do we know the Harbingers aren't farmers? They are just taking care of their experiments, tending their gardens, minding their own business. Do we know that they are really invading, or are they being sucked into wraeclast? For all we know, they get pulled in, get scared, and we kill all their pets? Or are we being tested?

Either way, I look forward to our new Instance Boss, Atziri's kinda boring now.
God of Domination sideboss confirmed? Or could he even become the main villain since he's not coming with 3.1 but sometime in the future?
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
SlaserX wrote:
"
Belado wrote:
...All of that...

That is a much much deeper take than I've heard on the topic.

Is PoE borrowing a little from Claymore's story? :)

Who is the beast? https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/The_Beast
If Mal knows, we probably have some hints. Is it Bob? Is it Dom? Is it Voll? Is it Shaper's real name? Is it YOU?

We know the Shaper is Zana's dad, right? But then who is Zana? It's kind of a big problem. Why does Shaper leave memory fragments everywhere?

How do we know the Harbingers aren't farmers? They are just taking care of their experiments, tending their gardens, minding their own business. Do we know that they are really invading, or are they being sucked into wraeclast? For all we know, they get pulled in, get scared, and we kill all their pets? Or are we being tested?

Either way, I look forward to our new Instance Boss, Atziri's kinda boring now.

I believe the Beast is Sin's creation that was put so the ancient gods would sleep, humankind prospere etc... but it ended up being the source of corruption and thaumaturgy (gems, vaal gems, mines and stuff).
So that is clear.

What seems more fun to me is to know which is bigger. Kitava, the beast, the shaper, atziri ... cuz hell, the beast was easy peasy eh. I mean act 4 come on. Then you have atziri (normal or uber) which is a map level boss. And then you have Kitava, basically a god, but still not as powerful.

Then again, i guess you have to think lore-wise and not gameplay-wise.

I belive the beast is the source of thaumaturgy and corruption in the beginning. Waaaay before the vaal, karui, or any primal human race we have any proof of.
Then shit started. Atziri, Doryani, trying to seize the power, getting submerged by it.
Civilizations went on.
We know the shaper isn't that old. Oriathan empire was already built, the templars were already in place when he was "imprisoned".
Him too, as well as Atziri, is "just" a side effect of the corruption / thaumaturgy brought by the beast.

What i am tremendously curious about is what lies beyond. I mean, yeah, ok.
We got splendid theories and stuff. A lot of lore, and curious people, and hard working people.
A whole world that functions in a certain manner.
I'm curious, and the habringers don't really answer that question (aside from the stargate thing) : where does ALL thaumaturgy come from ? Is there another place where the "magic" happens? What creatures lie there ?
Will we ever face Kalandra (as we already have met both her sons, and accidently killed one of em ) ?
Seems like this thread needs a bump now.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info