Harbinger language/symbol translation

Wow, very well done, i wonder if i'd have had the patience and the smarts to recognise the patterns :) But now i can look at Harbinger gibberish in a whole new way :)
Your idea seems to hold its own, but I can't shake off the feeling we're missing something.

Here - https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/6sbft6/some_thoughts_on_harbinger_text/ is a list of all found symbols (at least I think it's all of them).

What's worth noting - there are 5 "in between" symbols, 34 or 35 "words" in brackets (if we count the blank bracket on portal), but two of those are the "in between" symbols INSIDE of brackets. Additionally what You translated as "thunder" seems to be 2 mirror symbols (compare the symbol on the mask with the one in Harbingers' names, they're turned differently). It could be argued that the mask simply has the thunder symbol mirrored for some aesthetic reason, but it doesn't happen on any other item. Also the shield lacks any "in between" symbols, while on all the others the symbol for "Harbinger" comes second, but in Harbinger's names it also starts with "Harbinger". It would seem kinda weird to have "Harbinger" "arrow" "storm" mean "Harbinger of Storms" and then have "Time" "arrow" "Harbinger" mean the "Harbinger of Time". That would mean the language has no real structure, since we can just switch the words around and they still give the same meaning.

Next thing would be - what about words not connected by "in between" symbols? There are a few of them. There are also a few cases of "in between" symbols being written next to each other.

The language also seems to contain a lot of repeated patterns when it comes to flavor text (mask line #4 + quiver line #3 + belt line #3, shield line #1 + mask line #1 or the most common one - mask line #3 + sword lines #1 #2 #3 + map line #1, though here I'm still unsure whether the second line is an extension of the first one or not).

Maybe I'm overcomplicating this, but it just seems the flavor texts would become a bunch of copypasted gibberish.
To translate those, we need a Rosetta's Stone.
Gear's pieces and Harbinger's names are our best clues.

It would be wise if people starts to screenshot the names they encounter while noting the Harbinger's skills.

I have also a question:

Spoiler

See spoiler above: Are these from monsters summoned by the Harbinger, or from the Harbinger itself?

Then,

@RXA623: I think you answered your own question about the inconsistency of the symbols order. The Mask is the answer: the Thunder symbol is mirrored, probably meaning that all the sentences on all equipment pieces are mirrored (I suppose for flavor meanings). This hypothesis fix the order inconsistency.

Also,

In the flavor texts, there is one symbol that occurs a lot: 2 arrows with 4 bullets points.

See here:

Spoiler

https://i.imgur.com/nmTomEs.png
Last edited by Stefouch on Aug 9, 2017, 8:22:48 AM
"
Stefouch wrote:
the Thunder symbol is mirrored, probably meaning that all the sentences on all equipment pieces are mirrored (I suppose for flavor meanings).

The problem with that is that other than the mask, shield and map, all other phrases on items have the "in between" symbols used properly, which should not be the case if they were simply mirrored. So that would be either a mistake, different symbol entirely or a really inconsistent mirroring structure (mirror the "words" but leave the "connection symbols" alone, basically reversing the word order).
A few of the word symbols are pictographic in nature (time is obviously an hourglass Cold and Lightening etc)

another symbol to add to the mix is the last symbol on the beach head and the sword which I believe represents wraeclast itself. Blow up the symbol and compare it to the map and the similarities are striking.

Edit: hey quick question the text for unshattered will here https://i.imgur.com/nmTomEs.png does not seem to match the one here https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1927546

any reason why?

Last edited by Iconic1 on Aug 9, 2017, 11:37:20 AM
"
ephetat wrote:
Nice work!

The fact that GGG put in this work into developing a mysterious glyph system for the Harbingers, while at the same time introducing them in what seems so far to be an underwhelming league mechanic, suggests to me that we'll be seeing more of them later.

Maybe there is more to it than lore of harbigers, maybe a hidden recipe *wink* *wink* :)

RXA623,
Yeah, I am also confused by some of those, like symbols on that mask (one of the symbols looks like frost, not harbinger?), why symbol positions are swapped, why brackets on portal are empty etc. There is a lot to be learned yet.

"
Stefouch wrote:
Are these from monsters summoned by the Harbinger, or from the Harbinger itself?

Those are harbinger names, monsters summoned by harbingers have regular names.

Good catch on Wreaclast symbol. I did enlarge and move it over Wreaclast map and it looks amazingly similar. Keen eyes you‘ve got there :)

Not sure which shield flavor text is correct now... Maybe someone has one and can put an actual link of it?

Also, take a look at final line on the sword:

Maybe it translates like „Justified focus on Wreaclast“, like they have a valid reason for their arrival.
The first symbol is from „righteous fire“.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke
Last edited by Toshis8 on Aug 9, 2017, 3:13:44 PM
Oh Wow.
Censored.
Well done
I think the last symbol might be "Random" or "random movement".

the flamedash person seems to randomly dash around, not aiming at much, just to cover the area in fire.
rawr. fear me.
Some person at GGG is reading this thread and very moist. Well played Toshi.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info