[3.0] Queen of the Storm - Charged Dash TheoryCrafting

Yup, Im level 67 atm and Im feeling a bit dissapointed with the skill. I'd rather use a Belly of the Beast, cuz QotF gives us so much MS, which is innecesary as we loose damage. The problem is that the skill has such a low damage (Im clearing low maps well, but single target damage lacks), and there are tons of builds much safer and with more output damage (as any ST build, which I may get the next)
This is the build I'm running: https://pastebin.com/A320JznS

I don't have any experience with Path of Building, as this is my first attempt at fiddling with it. So feel free to comment and critique on any issues you may find.

I headed north into the Witch area and got alot of the lightning damage and area nodes. I left it at level 86, so have 4-5 additional points to put where I need like; jewel sockets, Acrobatics, or finish off some of the Duelist nodes like Art of the Gladiator & Bravery.
"
scooge1825 wrote:
This is the build I'm running: https://pastebin.com/A320JznS

I don't have any experience with Path of Building, as this is my first attempt at fiddling with it. So feel free to comment and critique on any issues you may find.

I headed north into the Witch area and got alot of the lightning damage and area nodes. I left it at level 86, so have 4-5 additional points to put where I need like; jewel sockets, Acrobatics, or finish off some of the Duelist nodes like Art of the Gladiator & Bravery.

Problem is, life is low. Even with good rings/amulets which you left off. Damage isn't great either, it's average. Tree looks fine though. Funny enough, mine is almost identical. I had 490k DPS before PoB updated Charged Dash and that dropped to 200k. Was pretty disappointed.

The worst thing is that with Hyaon you're gonna have a very slow attack speed, which in turn is gonna limit the amount of move speed you can have, if you want to have any hits during your Charged Dash, which finally limits your clear speed.

I agree with what other people say, the skill feels very weak, which is sad. It was like the only thing I was excited about after the patch notes turned out to be more boring than the pamphlets they hand out at church.

They could've left it at 100% More att. speed, instead of updated 40%, and it would've been "decent". GGG with their shit balancing as usual, killing builds before they are even born.

BUT EY WE GOT NEW ACTS RIGHT
Last edited by flynnzeke on Aug 6, 2017, 1:41:37 AM
"
xMustard wrote:
after testing a bit, dreamfeather and hyaon's are on par with each other in the "dps" category, where hyaons has a little more listed damage per second (damage per used times attack speed) but with the higher attack speed of dreamfeather you're able to overlap more aoes and thus actually get more damage output.

either way though im not sure i like the skill. with super super high movement speed (250ish) it just feels horrible especially with hyaons. its awesomely fast but theres hardly any attacks.
i was getting the best feeling at about 120-150 movement speed. good movement but also decent attacks between for clear.

inc aoe feels mandatory on the skill tho, and its really hard to be able to constantly go its full distance for the more damage ESPECIALLY vs single target. single target i usually ended up just pressing the button to instantly jump directly on top of a boss over and over and over until it was dead.

but ya, i thought i was going to love this skill a lot more than i do. other things just play so much easier and better with way higher damage output.

What are you going to use in the end? I like the skill for leveling but I'm already looking at potential replacements. Thinking about going cyclone but mana intake's going to be a problem on a 6L I think. ST is also an option but I'd have to shuffle more skills and nodes than for melee so I'm keeping that option in the drawer for now.
This skill seems totally broken.

First off, Path of building does not model it correctly at all. All of you using it for dps calcs need to stop it.
Charged dash has a flat "attacks per channel" value that is dependent on attack speed, and movement speed with break points.
+100% attack speed, and +120% attack speed, might attack the same exact number of times over a dash.
As far as I can tell, there is no listing of what your actual attack count is. Short of counting the spectres, or hit sound effect.. kindof terrible at high attack rates..

this might be correct, but has a major flaw as well.
https://www.desmos.com/calculator/cmnwc3vaky

it assumes max duration channel. Charged dash, seems to deal the full total of "attacks per channel", regardless of channel duration.
example, the default setting is 28move, 2.6a/s, and 0 inc aoe. It gives 3 attacks per dash, with 1.1s max channel duration.
that same 3 attacks per dash will be made if you only channel for .5s. The aoe will then be stacked directly on top of itself. All 3 hits will be made on target. So a bunch of short duration dashes is supreme dps. on the level of totally broken when matched with reduced move speed. (weight of sin)

Ideal links for a raider, are CD+FA+elem attack+conc effect+icebite+mphys. (assumes you have winter spirit.)
Bandit ideal might be oak. I went kraitlyn. however, given figuring out attacks made is purely breakpoint, the 6% ias may or may not have been totally useless. And the increased move speed, outright hurts dps.

(links might change if we make use of that weight of sin chaos damage.)

Base Weapon attack speed, and ias.
I could not tell if this effected anything.
I was getting the same 6 attacks per charge with a 1.3s weapon, a 1.6s weapon, and a 1.6s weapon that was a 1.3s with ias on weapon.
Need to explore dual wield, s/s, vs 2h as well. Atm, been running s/s. 2h might be ideal. However, need to look into DW. if, it does NOT alternate, dw with stat stick might be very ideal.

And as noted, we absolutely do not want increased movement speed. QOTF is probably right out.
much of our plans with raider in general, are in question.(duelist probably much better) Berzerking good, quickstep not good.
Avatar of the slaughter and avatar of the veil movement speed.. we do not actually want that..

Poacher+rapid assualt probably. skip slaughter.
Last edited by Casia on Aug 6, 2017, 8:36:25 AM
ya the skill is broken, as in it sucks.

i agree that short burst seems like the best dps but only because you can burst it super fast and thus attack faster than even your attack speed seems to suggest you should be able to.

also, you do want some movement speed. in single target, maybe not, but yes you do want some. have you even tried the skill out? or are you just playing around with PoB and that other site?
links also heavily depend on what weapons you're using. but either way, ice bite is not very good. much better with elemental focus.

as for me, since i will not be using this skill anymore, im just leaving the character and respecing other characters. i have a ngamahu's flame cyclone raider, which is actually still very powerful, and i'll be doing a frostblades raider as well.

my next experimental character will be a storm burst raider. again going frenzy/onslaught for that juicy juicy cast speed. i already kinda tested this out on my ngamahu's raider just by socketing storm burst, faster casting, gmp, slower proj, with the weapons i plan to use and with frenzy/onslaught/flasks active and my cast speed got up to +184%. the density of the balls i could shoot out was pretty insane. able to stack probably 25ish explosions on top of each other over its aoe radius.
im not confident in that spells damage, however
Last edited by xMustard on Aug 6, 2017, 9:13:55 AM
hrm. nope. looking into. Ideal charged dash is easily trickster. far and away.

A quick rework of my raider. (Needs to be optimized greatly.)
https://pastebin.com/b75VrdRP
(without frenzy, icebite would be useless.)

Trickster is going to get you a ton of inc aoe. gets you attack speed without move speed. Get you MoM, and elem overload. no mana movement cost.
Last edited by Casia on Aug 6, 2017, 9:28:03 AM
I'd much rather have an actual defense layer (eva, acro) than MoM. Plus it's counter productive since you should be using free mana cost to stack auras like they're going out of style. Also, while trickster might start close to EO and aoe nodes you have to travel all the way down to duelist for leech if you don't want to play with claws. The biggest draw on raider for me however is free FC generation. It's hard to top that.

Tree that Mustard posted on previous page is pretty good, there's a bit of pathing to get to EO but you can grab the lightning pen nodes on the way as well.
"
aMaGGixZ wrote:
Yup, Im level 67 atm and Im feeling a bit dissapointed with the skill. I'd rather use a Belly of the Beast, cuz QotF gives us so much MS, which is innecesary as we loose damage. The problem is that the skill has such a low damage (Im clearing low maps well, but single target damage lacks), and there are tons of builds much safer and with more output damage (as any ST build, which I may get the next)

I tend agree with you about the damage. Sure Charged Dash doesn't feel as safe as Spectral Throw or Frost Blades do. Movement speed being a negative in a skill called Charged Dash is ironic (I wonder if this skill was designed to encourage a slower play style lol). In general this skill feels off.
Last edited by Chalk_Circles on Aug 6, 2017, 10:57:45 AM
trickster would be a pretty good ascendancy for charged dash - thats true.

but ya, you do want some movement speed. even if all you do is run with quicksilver flask and activate it while mapping then don't activate it while bossing - that could be ideal.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info