Post your reason why you hate doing labs.

Let me start off by writing down my reasons for hating it.

Firstly, not everyone made their first character specifically tailored for doing labs at great efficiency such as non-tanking builds and thus, it would be safe to say that the traps in the labs are very deadly, especially for them. Getting caught in the grinders for more than 2 seconds would be instant death for them.

This suggest that the success rate of completing the labs is not always 100% since any small mistake equates to instant death and instant exp loss.

Secondly, getting the lab enchantments that you wanted for your build is a real torture.

According to POE Wiki,

Uber labs boots enchantment = 15 types > total chance to get desired enchantment = 6.67%
Uber labs gloves enchantment = 15 types > total chance to get desired enchantment = 6.67%
Uber labs helmets enchantment = 388 types > total chance to get desired enchantment = 0.26 %

This suggests a serious amount of unrealistic grinding is required, especially for the helmet enchantments.

Thirdly, sudden disconnects (DC). Not sure if anyone experienced this before, but I have experienced sudden DC far more in labs than in game but only once in a while.

Fourthly, labs difficulty does not scales with normal/cruel/merciless/uber difficulty.
For eg, a normal mode labs might sometimes be more difficult and lengthy than in merciless mode labs.
This may not seemed to be a issue with veteran lab players but it does creates lots of negative impact for new players. Labs difficulty should be progressive so that they can learn how to navigate more efficiently in labs so as to train them for higher tier labs.

Fifthly, locating all the trials of ascendancy in maps to gain access to uber labs is a serious torture. If you're a solo guy, then good luck to you for finding it all by yourself.

And finally if you were to sum all the points above and combine it, you get a mega total frustrating and disappointing playing experience.

And if good skills don't kill you in labs, sudden DC will kill you and demand for a total restart without your consent.

Note: if they wish to debate on why lab is good versus why lab is cancer, I would gladly welcome it but please, not in this thread because its irrelevant to the topic of discussion.

Voicing out irrelevant stuff only gives the other people the impression that you do not understand what the topic is about or you lack the intelligence to make relevant and/or intelligent comments.

Last edited by YoursTruly86 on Jun 18, 2017, 6:21:54 AM
Last bumped on Nov 8, 2017, 1:59:55 AM
if playing the game is torture for you ...

labyrinth is supposed to be challenging content, your post rather confirms that it is still that way.

age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
"
vio wrote:

labyrinth is supposed to be challenging content, your post rather confirms that it is still that way.

Playing the game is not torture but doing the lab is a torture, especially for lab enchantment.

Just imagine the 0.26 % chance to get desired helmet enchantment. Is it realistic ? It's not even 1% chance to get the desired enchantment.

Personally, i find the traps and lab enchantments "more challenging" than just killing uber Izaro.
Going for one of the two Cyclone enchants to my Devoto's.. I've done around 80-100 lab runs now in the past few weeks (Using Twice enchanted prophecy for all of them). Haven't gotten it yet.

Pretty much going to just give up on that and start enchanting hubris circlets again; going for your own personal helm enchant and trying to target one in lab if you use something that is not a hubris is 100% not worth it.

edit: Also, I rarely if ever die in my uber lab runs.. Might have 1 death every 20 or so runs because of being stupid.. But the fact that deaths in lab yield xp loss is just completely, 100% stupid.
Last edited by Enzymaticc on Jun 17, 2017, 2:16:03 AM
"
YoursTruly86 wrote:
"
vio wrote:

Playing the game is not torture but doing the lab is a torture, especially for lab enchantment.

Just imagine the 0.26 % chance to get desired helmet enchantment. Is it realistic ? It's not even 1% chance to get the desired enchantment.

Personally, i find the traps and lab enchantments "more challenging" than just killing uber Izaro.

just trade for it?

and getting a good enchant can be a great motivation to re-roll.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
When you've done it every league with multi chars and do uber runs because it's great for currency it gets very very tiring.

And 40/40's need like 100 uber izaro every fucking time.
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
If you use a helm that isn't "meta", its too risky running lab to go for an enchant on it for your own character... Numerous times I've hit enchants that could go for upwards of 2ex on a hubris, but got it on my devoto's, and its incredibly frustrating... I've been saying this for a while, but GGG needs to implement some sort of item that can take an enchant off of "X" helm, and make it a "consumable" type item you can then click to put on another (heck, make it pricey I don't care)... That way you can run uber lab and enchant "meta" helms without having to worry about hitting the enchant you're looking for on your characters non-meta helm and raging (because you'll be able to safely swap it over).
Last edited by Enzymaticc on Jun 17, 2017, 2:32:45 AM
"
vio wrote:
"
YoursTruly86 wrote:
"
vio wrote:

just trade for it?

and getting a good enchant can be a great motivation to re-roll.

What if I wanted to play a niche build or "a build of my own" and wanted a specific enchantment on it and there is no market for it? I can name you one right now ... I wanted a hrimnor's resolve helmet with % damage for flameblast but POE trade does not have it and there is no one with that enchantment on trade chat.

Will trading helps? Will the 0.26 % chance to get desired helmet enchantment rule helps me?
"
Enzymaticc wrote:
Going for one of the two Cyclone enchants to my Devoto's.. I've done around 80-100 lab runs now in the past few weeks (Using Twice enchanted prophecy for all of them). Haven't gotten it yet.

Pretty much going to just give up on that and start enchanting hubris circlets again; going for your own personal helm enchant and trying to target one in lab if you use something that is not a hubris is 100% not worth it.

edit: Also, I rarely if ever die in my uber lab runs.. Might have 1 death every 20 or so runs because of being stupid.. But the fact that deaths in lab yield xp loss is just completely, 100% stupid.

Agreed with you bro about the xp loss and felt your pain too. I ever spend about 8 hours continuously straight doing labs just for the boots enchantment (6.67% to get) using prophecy twice enchanted to get the desired enchantment but get nothing that i wanted.

I can't imagine how much insane unrealistic grinding i must do to get the desired helmet enchantment ( 0.26 % chance btw) lol.
I will just copy the reasons I dislike lab that I posted before:

1) This is a top down view arpg where you move by clicking on terrain (or using a movement skill). It is not precise and sometimes even clunky, especially compared to games where traps usually make more sense - third person rpgs, first person games, platformers. All of them have much more precise movement than poe, hence there traps make more sense.

2) View. The view in this game is rather restricted in terms of range, and you can't rotate the camera. Not once did I encounter particular corners, where walls would obstruct the view so I could barely see the traps. In some cases, there were certain zones where traps would go on for longer than screen distance, without any "safe spots", which would allow you to slowly and carefully pass them. In such cases, the best tactic is just to yolo dash forward. So challenging. Much wow.

3) Length. Even dark souls would usually have a checkpoint of sorts after a difficult part with traps and hard enemies. Platformers have short levels, again, to somewhat reduce the frustration. Other games allow you to save at any point, or have checkpoints. Here if you screw up, you have to do it all over again from the start. Like a long level filled with traps and three boss encounters with no checkpoints or saves.

4) Connection issues. I am one of the lucky few who live close to their gateway and don't suffer AS much from connection issues (doesn't mean that people who don't have a perfect internet should be just ingored). However, controls and hitboxes in online games will never be as precise as in an offline game. Combined with an already not so precise arpg click based movement, the arcade like elements become even more frustrating. In any other part of the game the lag is not as deadly (with exceptions), since it is one thing to get an extra hit or two from random monsters on a map, and whole different story to lag back a bit and end up in a trap that deals % damage of your health.

5) Tiny final arena (uber in particular). Now, many bosses in this game have this problem, however with izaro it is even worse. Depending on the layout, you can barely move anywhere, since the center is blocked, traps are everywhere, and pillars in uber can sometimes deny you the last islands of safety, making it difficult to move around and dodge in a fight were you are assumed to move around and dodge, since izaro is a very heavy hitter.

6) Can be cheesed easily. Probably one of the most ironic aspects of lab to me, is the fact that a proper lab runner can beat it in around 2 minutes. By stacking VERY high amounts of movement speed, you can simply ingore all traps since they stop dealing damage to you altogether. And Izaro? You just nuke him with loads of mines detonated by a totem (so far the fastest way of killing him due to a glitch, that GGG is officially fine with). So challenging. So skillful. And with all the above mentioned issues, second best option is to be able to facetank everything. Facetank traps, facetank izaro, give little to no sh*ts about anything. High es pool with vp is one way, another option that I know is super high regen.

So in the end, does this content promote skillful, thorough, careful play, or even thinking? NO, because you can make it stupidly easy with certain playstyles, while getting crapped on with others. And that is fine. What is not fine is that I have to go through this with every single one of my characters. In almost any other scenario, I can do something - for example boss X is too dangerous for my current character, I will clear the map with him and then kill the boss with my other character who is more capable. Rolled a bad map for character Y? Fine, I will do it with character Z! So I am rewarded for having different builds, which are different enough and have their strong/weak points. But with lab? NO, F*CK YOU, every single one of your characters has to do this!

This is absurd.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info