Where do I complain about Scammers like [Removed by Support]

Well, I put the scammer on my friends list for a week so I could get a tertiary understanding of the behavior.

The character he scammed me on was by no means his "main." He would only attempt other scams when he switched to the character he scammed me on. Then I would see broadcasts (which I got a 10 minute ban for warning people about) and complaints of his behavior after. Yet, while he used his "main," he was the model of an upstanding citizen. I never witnessed any complains about him while he was on his "main." So, basically, he has one 'evil' character he uses to scam, and a different 'good' character to reap the rewards.

The fact the system tracts character name instead of account name essentially allows people like him to turn what should likely be an "Iterated Prisoner's Dilemma" (like most 'RL' interactions) into a Standard Prisoner's Dilemma. This causes scamming to be the 'rational' answer to social interactions.

If the system tracked account name (or both character name and account name) this 'changing of identity' would be harder to do, and would keep interactions on PoE closer to the 'RL' norm of an Iterated Prisoner's Dilemma. Otherwise the default behavior for rational players should be "defect."

I'm thinking about writing a short essay on the Prisoner's Dilemma and how it applies to understanding online communities (in general, not specifically PoE) for fun. If I do, I'll post it in this subforum as a new thread. I'll not have time to do so for a while, regardless.
Last edited by Taylor5CC on Apr 24, 2017, 1:30:49 PM
"
Taylor5CC wrote:
Well, I put the scammer on my friends list for a week so I could get a tertiary understanding of the behavior.

The character he scammed me on was by no means his "main." He would only attempt other scams when he switched to the character he scammed me on. Then I would see broadcasts (which I got a 10 minute ban for warning people about) and complaints of his behavior after. Yet, while he used his "main," he was the model of an upstanding citizen. I never witnessed any complains about him while he was on his "main." So, basically, he has one 'evil' character he uses to scam, and a different 'good' character to reap the rewards.

The fact the system tracts character name instead of account name essentially allows people like him to turn what should likely be an "Iterated Prisoner's Dilemma" (like most 'RL' interactions) into a Standard Prisoner's Dilemma. This causes scamming to be the 'rational' answer to social interactions.

If the system tracked account name (or both character name and account name) this 'changing of identity' would be harder to do, and would keep interactions on PoE closer to the 'RL' norm of an Iterated Prisoner's Dilemma. Otherwise the default behavior for rational players should be "defect."

I'm thinking about writing a short essay on the Prisoner's Dilemma and how it applies to understanding online communities (in general, not specifically PoE) for fun. If I do, I'll post it in this subforum as a new thread. I'll not have time to do so for a while, regardless.

You basically gave the dude 100 chaos.
There is no system to prevent that from happening.

We might as well start asking for our hardcore characters back because we couldn't kill a certain monster with our build.
"
Fapmobile wrote:
You basically gave the dude 100 chaos.
There is no system to prevent that from happening.
0.o 'No system'... Defeatist.
I mean, the current item trade system essentially stops that from happening for item trades.

Anyway, RL has plenty of systems that mitigates events like this from happening, like 'society.' One such system I thought was already in place would be a scammer register. And, I was also not fully aware of how easy it is to "switch identities" on the same account (I don't tend to have a lot of 'alts').
Clearly, I was dead wrong about lots of things.

But, you live and learn.
Last edited by Taylor5CC on Apr 25, 2017, 6:33:35 AM
It's always shitty to see a new player coming here to complain about being scammed and getting condescending replies. If you love the game you learn to accept the fellow exiles.
Second-class poe gamer
This isn't real life. It's a game. You want justice for something that happened in a game. Disproportionate. You feel harmed, but you're really not. Read up on "displacement".
"
pr13st wrote:
It's always shitty to see a new player coming here to complain about being scammed and getting condescending replies. If you love the game you learn to accept the fellow exiles.

Welcome to the POE community lmao you have posts like this that somehow justify the scam taking place because "it's just a game"
Fake Temp League Elitists LUL
Last edited by _Saranghaeyo_ on Apr 25, 2017, 7:16:08 AM
"
鬼殺し wrote:
This isn't about 'Wraeclast xd' as the zealous, overachieving, but sadly misinformed _Saranghaeyo_ keeps saying. GGG don't promote scamming or ripping off. That's just crap. They just see it as part of the market. Caveat Emptor and all that. Nowhere will you see GGG say 'go scam!' or 'feel free to rip each other off' -- that's promoting, and they don't do it. Again, you need to think in terms of ants and children. The fecundity of scams and rip-offs is, in their eyes, pretty much between the ants. Period. If you want to blame GGG for anything, blame them for not deciding if the game is Eve online or Diablo 3. Blame them for clinging desperately to their dream of a free market while providing zero tools to facilitate a fair one.

Maybe we see this from different angles, but the fact that there is no support and no desire to do anything (UNTIL it becomes widespread enough that they can justify some kind of "intervening action") and that's what they tell you is, in a way, a free ticket to do this type of behavior. Support tickets tell you to go pound salt if you just say it like Taylor did (without any video or anything, since most players aren't really recording their experience 100% of the time).

This is the basic, canned, GGG-approved response to most people who get scammed, until you look at extreme cases like in Essence League where the ExiledKitteh (sp?) guy basically scammed for a couple of weeks straight, taunting people he scammed, flaming them in game, which forced GGG's hand eventually into a ban.

All of this to me though has a lack of consistency because if you're not going to do anything about a single scam, and then have to go run with your tail between your legs and pull the "harassment /// terminate your account for any reason" card because of community pressure. So to me anyways, and sorry to derail, it was always a case of "Wraeclast xD," but I've added in the past that it's actually "Wraeclast xD, until we capriciously decide to do whatever the fuck we feel like. xD."

I do agree with you on the free/fair market thing though. Who has time for real trade tools when there's an XBox empire to create kappa
Fake Temp League Elitists LUL
Last edited by _Saranghaeyo_ on Apr 25, 2017, 7:16:46 AM
"
_Saranghaeyo_ wrote:
"
pr13st wrote:

Welcome to the POE community lmao you have posts like this that somehow justify the scam taking place because "it's just a game"

Then again Shags is the kind of person where if someone got raped and beaten he'd be like "well shit sorry but you shouldn't have been there xD"

Thanks, been here longer than you. Being "in a game" does not mean we leave our empathy at the door, we are still people not just bytes.
Second-class poe gamer
It's a cycle of people getting scammed then becoming the scammer because they find out there is little if not no punishment for scamming.
What a sad topic. You get scammed, the "police" turns a blind eye (unless you try to call names on forums, them they will do something) and the community simply says "you're too childish if you don't like being scammed". What a sad topic.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info