The Son of God:

"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Contrition not enforced by the community is permission.

I'm not sure you actually believe this. I'm guessing you're just trolling.

But if you do believe this, I can tell you all day that you're wrong, but I doubt you'll open your heart and listen to anything I say.

SMH. "Contrition is permission." What a fallacy.
- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0- 0 * - <
<739610877-3104-376.101077-1106.75103739110792103.108-5'92.9410776.>
- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0- 0 * - <
"
bwam wrote:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Contrition not enforced by the community is permission.
I'm not sure you actually believe this. I'm guessing you're just trolling.

But if you do believe this, I can tell you all day that you're wrong, but I doubt you'll open your heart and listen to anything I say.

SMH. "Contrition is permission." What a fallacy.
I'm not trolling at all. But perhaps I should have said: The appearance of contrition, when left unenforced by the community, is permission. I imagine that sometimes those who sin genuinely repent, and that's great and all, but without a system of accountability imposed upon such a person to verify contrition, the system can and will be abused by those you will fake contrition to avoid punishment. And, as I said earlier, placing someone in such a system of probation is not complete forgiveness.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
I'm not trolling at all. But perhaps I should have said: The appearance of contrition, when left unenforced by the community, is permission. I imagine that sometimes those who sin genuinely repent, and that's great and all, but without a system of accountability imposed upon such a person to verify contrition, the system can and will be abused by those you will fake contrition to avoid punishment. And, as I said earlier, placing someone in such a system of probation is not complete forgiveness.

There is a system in place. True story here: in the 4th century, after the council of Nicea, there heretic priest, Arius, acted contrite, publicly repented, and was allowed to return to the Church in good faith. Well before too long he was preaching heresy again, so he got excommunicated. Eventually he once again acted contrite, publicly repented, and was allowed to return to the Church. This happened multiple times, but the Church continued to follow God's command to always forgive those who repent.

Well eventually, one time when Arius was to be readmitted to the Church, St. Athanasius was so distraught by all the problems the heretic Arius was causing, he prayed to God, please don't let this happen again. Arius died the very morning he was to be readmitted, he died a horrific death.

The system, for Christians, is that we follow God's command to forgive, and trust in God to deal with dishonest people, like Arius, who are playing games.
"
Kamchatka wrote:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
There is a system in place. True story here: in the 4th century, after the council of Nicea, there heretic priest, Arius, acted contrite, publicly repented, and was allowed to return to the Church in good faith. Well before too long he was preaching heresy again, so he got excommunicated. Eventually he once again acted contrite, publicly repented, and was allowed to return to the Church. This happened multiple times, but the Church continued to follow God's command to always forgive those who repent.

Well eventually, one time when Arius was to be readmitted to the Church, St. Athanasius was so distraught by all the problems the heretic Arius was causing, he prayed to God, please don't let this happen again. Arius died the very morning he was to be readmitted, he died a horrific death.

The system, for Christians, is that we follow God's command to forgive, and trust in God to deal with dishonest people, like Arius, who are playing games.
In other words: we mere mortals are to permit assholes like Arius, and it is up to God to decide who is beyond redemption.

Thanks for proving my point for me.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
LuL.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info