The Son of God:

"
MonstaMunch wrote:
I'd be interested if any of the Christians here have a response to my post on the previous page.

My response to the other guy who took a verse in Psalms out of context applies to your previous post as well, if that helps. I assumed that since he did the exact same thing as you did, I would not need to repeat myself.
"
Kamchatka wrote:
"
MonstaMunch wrote:
I'd be interested if any of the Christians here have a response to my post on the previous page.

My response to the other guy who took a verse in Psalms out of context applies to your previous post as well, if that helps. I assumed that since he did the exact same thing as you did, I would not need to repeat myself.

I don't see how it applies and would be interested to see an actual response. That is, unless it includes justifying the genocidal slaughter of men, women and children "because they deserved it" in which case we're wasting our time. Humans do that by themselves without being commanded by any God, there's nothing divine or inspired about solving your problems by killing your enemies (and wives, and their children).
Last edited by MonstaMunch on May 13, 2017, 10:44:21 AM
"
MonstaMunch wrote:
"I am the Amalekite child who watched as my family was slaughtered."

Is that so?

"Remember what the Amalekites did to you along the way when you came out of Egypt. When you were weary and worn out, they met you on your journey and attacked all who were lagging behind; they had no fear of God." (Deut. 25:17-18)

But who are the Amalekites?

"Then the Lord said to Moses, 'Write this on a scroll as something to be remembered and make sure that Joshua hears it, because I will completely blot out the name of Amalek from under heaven.'" (Exodus 17:14)

They are gone; the name of Amalek has been completely blotted out from under heaven. If you wish to stand opposite God, your name, too, will be blotted out -- from the book of Life.
- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0- 0 * - <
<739610877-3104-376.101077-1106.75103739110792103.108-5'92.9410776.>
- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0- 0 * - <
"
bwam wrote:
They are gone; the name of Amalek has been completely blotted out from under heaven. If you wish to stand opposite God, your name, too, will be blotted out -- from the book of Life.

So genocide is the answer to our problems? That is your God's divine solution? Create them only to kill them all? Dafuq? U srs? I don't think I even want to ask whether David's baby deserved to be tortured to death.... You're kinda scary tbh.
Last edited by MonstaMunch on May 13, 2017, 1:42:10 PM
Don't bother with the genocidal God thing. This guy likes just waltz over those parts, accuse you of being a gnostic and then make up arguments to reply to that you didn't even make.
"
BodyHammer01 wrote:
New International Version
Psalm 137:9
Happy is the one who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks.

And this isn't a cherry pick, it just happens to be one of my favorite examples of biblical nonsense. I can find better morality myself than through the bible, in fact almost everyone does. No thank you.

"By the rivers or Babylon we sat and wept
when we remembered Zion.
There on the poplars
we hung our harps,
for there our captors asked us for songs,
our tormentors demanded songs of joy;
they said, 'Sing us one of the songs of Zion!'

How can we sing the songs of the LORD
while in a foreign land?
If I forget you, Jerusalem,
may my right hand forget its skill.
May my tongue cling to the roof of my mouth
if I do not remember you,
if I do not consider Jerusalem
my highest joy.

Remember, LORD, what the Edomites did
on the day Jerusalem fell.
'Tear it down,' they cried,
'tear it down to its foundations!'
Daughter Babylon, doomed to destruction,
happy is the one who repays you
according to what you have done to us.

Happy is the one who seizes your infants
and dashes them against the rocks."

You're sitting in judgment on the author of this lament?
Don't you believe we are judged according to what we do?
Read what is said: "Happy is the one who repays you according to what you have done to us."
Do you begrudge Justice or Justice's hand?
Why do you criticize the downtrodden and crushed in spirit?

"
bwam wrote:
"
BodyHammer01 wrote:
New International Version
Psalm 137:9
Happy is the one who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks.

And this isn't a cherry pick, it just happens to be one of my favorite examples of biblical nonsense. I can find better morality myself than through the bible, in fact almost everyone does. No thank you.

"By the rivers or Babylon we sat and wept
when we remembered Zion.
There on the poplars
we hung our harps,
for there our captors asked us for songs,
our tormentors demanded songs of joy;
they said, 'Sing us one of the songs of Zion!'

How can we sing the songs of the LORD
while in a foreign land?
If I forget you, Jerusalem,
may my right hand forget its skill.
May my tongue cling to the roof of my mouth
if I do not remember you,
if I do not consider Jerusalem
my highest joy.

Remember, LORD, what the Edomites did
on the day Jerusalem fell.
'Tear it down,' they cried,
'tear it down to its foundations!'
Daughter Babylon, doomed to destruction,
happy is the one who repays you
according to what you have done to us.

Happy is the one who seizes your infants
and dashes them against the rocks."

You're sitting in judgment on the author of this lament?
Don't you believe we are judged according to what we do?
Read what is said: "Happy is the one who repays you according to what you have done to us."
Do you begrudge Justice or Justice's hand?
Why do you criticize the downtrodden and crushed in spirit?
The funny part is that you apparently think this makes it moral.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
The funny part is that you apparently think this makes it moral.

Yup. The Christian God's solution to conflict is to commit genocide, and the response is always "they deserve it". It's a very human, uninspired, non-divine way of dealing with problems.

Saying "God is all merciful, but only to those who deserve it" is meaningless. Everyone is merciful to people who they think deserve it, and they aren't to people who they think don't deserve it. That's how humans work. Nothing divine about it.

Even Jesus used violence to solve his problems. "Money changers in the temple? I could have a word with them and explain why they shouldn't be doing that here, or I could go away, make a special whip, and come back to beat them up. I think I'll pick option 2". We call that premeditated assault nowadays btw...
"Hmmm a few naked men in robes who most likely had an orgy (cause you know man on man was considered the norm back then by many) decided to write about another guy who's mom mysteriously became pregnant overnight (rape)..."

...I must be a new form of human species to be the only human to not read the Bible.
"Another... Solwitch thread." AST
Current Games: :::City Skylines:::Elite Dangerous::: Division 2

"...our most seemingly ironclad beliefs about our own agency and conscious experience can be dead wrong." -Adam Bear
Last edited by solwitch on May 14, 2017, 9:50:23 AM
"
MonstaMunch wrote:
Yup. The Christian God's solution to conflict is to commit genocide, and the response is always "they deserve it". It's a very human, uninspired, non-divine way of dealing with problems.

Mm... “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also." <-- the Christian solution to conflict.

And so we return to the lament, Psalm 137. The Jewish people knew God and cried out to him for justice. God, in his perfect wisdom, heard their cries.

Did you hear them mourn? Did their blood cry out to you from the rocks? No: yet you insist that God's judgment is "non-divine," and that his hand is not just.

You do not believe what has been made clear to you. Why persist in argument? To slander the Most High? There is no merit in arguing with you, although everything you say can be answered.

"
MonstaMunch wrote:
Saying "God is all merciful, but only to those who deserve it" is meaningless. Everyone is merciful to people who they think deserve it, and they aren't to people who they think don't deserve it. That's how humans work. Nothing divine about it.

Mercy is extended, it isn't "deserved." Mercy has been offered to all men. But those who love what is evil, persecute the innocent, and do not repent -- why should they be given mercy?

"
MonstaMunch wrote:
Even Jesus used violence to solve his problems. "Money changers in the temple? I could have a word with them and explain why they shouldn't be doing that here, or I could go away, make a special whip, and come back to beat them up. I think I'll pick option 2". We call that premeditated assault nowadays btw...

Good: you know that zeal for the house of the Lord consumes us.

As for it being "premeditated assault," you're wrong. It wasn't premeditated; it was a reaction to seeing such blatant disregard for the Lord in his Temple.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info